Home Main Category General Firearms

Guns that don't get any respect.

24

Replies

  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Anything in .327 Federal Magnum
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The Greatest Crafters and true Artisans and other diverse workers of the firearms trades of Japan are renowned the World over, however, the disdain and hatred of violence associated with firearms in Japan has permeated too many levels psychologically, guns are bad ! Do not expect this attitude to change anytime soon, These folks may craft the Worlds finest firearms, but their pathological hoplophobia is legendary.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Grenade is an inert dummy.

    I know a few of them... :jester:
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    The post 1963 Winchester Model 70 is a good example of a good gun that gets no respect, simply because the pre '64 Models were so outstanding. The '64 plus push-feeds were/are very good rifles, just not as 'sweet' as their predecessors. They are easily as good as the Remington 700's they were intended to compete with, as far as actual shooting goes, and not bad looking for their price range.

    I agree. So many guys its CRF or nothing, but mine has been a great shooter, fed reliably, and will soon be re-barreled to a DG cartridge. And, no safety recalls, trigger issues, and you know...the bolt handle isn't just brazed lightly. I always keep my eye open for good deals on PF M70's, but the prices are really starting to sky rocket.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    I wouldn't say NO respect....but not enough

    Marlin 60's. Because you can't lego the gun with hundreds of parts, people pass them up for 10/22's. But mine have always shot well.

    H&R Handi-rifles. Cheap, usually very accurate, available in a bunch of chamberings, lots of options. And until very recently, it was easy and cheap to send it back and get extra barrels fitted. My 223 was shooting very well with cheap plinking ammo, can't wait to hand load, put a better scope, and see what she can do. Ugly, but sometimes the ugly ones put out easier and try harder
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Remington 721, 722, and 725 rifles. Because they're not a 700.

    Remington 600 and 660 rifles, because they're not a 700.

    Remington 788 because it's rear-locking and it's not a 700.

    Push-feed Winchester Model 70 variants, including the Ranger. Because they're "cheap."

    Rifles that aren't sub-MOA for most general users and uses. They're perfectly adequate, and often perform better than the user needs them to, but they're "not good enough."

    Browning Hi Power. Because most folks nowadays think a steel-framed, double-stack 9mm is "weird."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Just about any of the older Savages, such as the 110 and 340. They're nothing fancy, but good, dependable firearms that do everything they were made to do.

    I have to agree with that JerryBobCo!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Many of the older top break revolvers, over a hundred years old, I can't recall brands, it was fun to buy them and restore them, even shooting them was fun when .32 & .38 S&W Remington Kleenbore ammo was cheap and plentiful.

    Agreed! I have always liked the top break style revolvers!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    P21_zpsclhjnoak.jpg

    The famed Ithaca Auto / Burglar shotgun.

    I wish they could bring it back..... love the pistol grips angle.

    Speaking of Ithaca, I recall years ago a friend of mine had an Ithaca,single barrel lever action break 12ga. shotgun..Cool
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    A few years ago I bought a used single shot bolt action 22cal rifle specifically apportioned for children.Its called a Chipmunk. It is a very well made accurate and robust little rifle and was a great introduction piece for my son.

    Great choice Early!!! I too bought my kids a couple of them chipmunks.. Good trainer rifles for small kids!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    A few of things...

    The OP and subject line says "Guns." The .270 Winchester is a CARTRIDGE.

    Second, it's not the gun, nor that cartridge that doesn't get the respect, but the user/enthusiasts/advocates. Possibly because they failed LGS001: Basic Firearms Terminology and can't tell the difference between a firearm and the cartridge it fires. Same mistake a liberal journalist makes.

    Now, one could legitimately argue that a 1964 or later vintage Winchester Model 70 in .270 doesn't get the same respect as a pre-'64 rifle in the same chambering (that means it fires the .270 Winchester cartridge), but the same thing could be said of the same rifles in .30-06.

    YES SIR! Sometimes I think your sole purpose in life is to hang around here to correct me
    BUT! What was the thread title? Guns that don't get any respect! That is my gun I was referring to. And for a couple reasons it gets little respect around here, especially from those like you. That's what I call it usually, my .270. With most people here the .270 thing is a joke. But with you it seems to be a passion. Nuff said.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Let's see now, what do I have that has very little respect on here? Hmmmm, well oh yeah it's called a .270 Winchester. Killed more deer than anything else I own and still going strong at 49 years old. Move over Rodney! You got company.......



    :applause::applause::applause::applause: Me-too Snake!!!!!!!!!! Got to agree with ya Snake!!!!! And BTW Early; again I had a Marlin camp carbine in 9mm back in the day!!! Great little rifle!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    The Greatest Crafters and true Artisans and other diverse workers of the firearms trades of Japan are renowned the World over, however, the disdain and hatred of violence associated with firearms in Japan has permeated too many levels psychologically, guns are bad ! Do not expect this attitude to change anytime soon, These folks may craft the Worlds finest firearms, but their pathological hoplophobia is legendary.

    Yep doc, I agree. Also here in the US some still have little respect for anything Japanese. Nobody on this forum has more reason to hate Japanese more than me. My family lost a very good member due to their barbarian attitude. BUT That was then and this is now. Every society has people like that within them. But things do change. time heals all wounds. And it wasn't the whole of the Japanese people that were barbarious during WWII. It was the militants. I have been to Japan several times in my travels. I love the place. The people for the most part are very sorry for what happened then. They are really a great people. AND their firearms and Optics are as good as can be found on this planet. And their craftsmanship is as good or better than any other in the world.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    My old 311 is more fun than two women in a bath tub.

    hahahahahahhahah I doubt that Early!!!hahahahah
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I wouldn't say NO respect....but not enough

    Marlin 60's. Because you can't lego the gun with hundreds of parts, people pass them up for 10/22's. But mine have always shot well.

    H&R Handi-rifles. Cheap, usually very accurate, available in a bunch of chamberings, lots of options. And until very recently, it was easy and cheap to send it back and get extra barrels fitted. My 223 was shooting very well with cheap plinking ammo, can't wait to hand load, put a better scope, and see what she can do. Ugly, but sometimes the ugly ones put out easier and try harder

    I would say the same for the Marlin 795. Almost the same as the 60 but with mags. Only a few aftermarket parts for it but it's lighter, cheaper, more reliable and just as or more accurate than a 10/22. I beat better shooters than me all the time cause mine runs flawlessly and their highly modified 10/22s don't
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    hahahahahahhahah I doubt that Early!!!hahahahah

    Now for me, that would probably depend on the women!!!:popcorn::love::jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I got a few here: Had a .22 Remington field master 510?,,pump... How about the encores? Rossi triple threat? And I ain't sure this applies here but double rifles such as nitro express family, and double cap and ball rifles!!!! black powder guns, I don't think they git enuf respect!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I would say the same for the Marlin 795. Almost the same as the 60 but with mags. Only a few aftermarket parts for it but it's lighter, cheaper, more reliable and just as or more accurate than a 10/22. I beat better shooters than me all the time cause mine runs flawlessly and their highly modified 10/22s don't

    What I've seen in comparing the two is that from the factory the model 60 seems to have a better trigger, or at least the couple I've handled did. In my limited experience most stock 10/22 triggers really suck. But if you put a target trigger on em they shoot great. But so do model 60s. They're both great guns and if they made the aftermarket parts for 60s they make fore 10/22s they would both be held in the same level of respect. But I do love my 10/22.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    CZ-75B has pretty much been 'discovered' by all the newbies, since they have some cooler variants out, now, but it is a great gun that was mostly ignored for many years (not here, but most places). When I bought mine, a lot of local LGS's claimed to have never even heard of them, since they didn't have any.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    There's no gun culture in Japan because there's no place to shoot a gun. Hunting was a privilege of the wealthy and matchlocks were the main firearm of the Japanese military until the cartridge age.

    The Type 94 pistol could be fired by pushing on the outside sear. Japanese officers, at least the junior officers had to buy their own handguns and the 94 was the cheapest. And possibly the last Japanese weapon developed in WW 2. (9/44).
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Snake,

    I don't correct you at every chance I get.

    I don't make near enough posts to do that.

    Edited to add: please point out where I disparaged your favored cartridge in my post.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    CZ-75B has pretty much been 'discovered' by all the newbies, since they have some cooler variants out, now, but it is a great gun that was mostly ignored for many years (not here, but most places). When I bought mine, a lot of local LGS's claimed to have never even heard of them, since they didn't have any.
    Good point. I think part of the problem, back in the olden days, was it was a commie gun that commanded obscene prices. It is on my buy list. I'd like just the plain CZ-75B, maybe with night sights. Almost picked one up a few years ago, but decided instead to go with my Springfield Loaded.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    I'd go for the M-1 Carbine too....lots of bad press, specially veteran recounts of failure to stop enemies that I wonder if they were in fact hitting anyway, since it seems like not many were even decent shooters. Yes, it's not a Garand, but for the intended design purpose, I think it does a pretty good job.

    Marlin .22 semiautos are also overlooked even here when compared to the drive toward the 10/22s; know very few people who own them but they all seem to be quite happy with their performance.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    I'd go for the M-1 Carbine too....lots of bad press, specially veteran recounts of failure to stop enemies that I wonder if they were in fact hitting anyway, since it seems like not many were even decent shooters. Yes, it's not a Garand, but for the intended design purpose, I think it does a pretty good job.

    Marlin .22 semiautos are also overlooked even here when compared to the drive toward the 10/22s; know very few people who own them but they all seem to be quite happy with their performance.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Snake,

    I don't correct you at every chance I get.

    I don't make near enough posts to do that.

    Edited to add: please point out where I disparaged your favored cartridge in my post.
    I'm done with that with you. If I let myself worry about what you say here, I would go plumb nutts. Whatever it is that trigger's your responses to my posts you won't let go of it. No, you don't do it every time but you do it enough to make a person gun shy. Just go your way and I'll go mine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    There's no gun culture in Japan because there's no place to shoot a gun. Hunting was a privilege of the wealthy and matchlocks were the main firearm of the Japanese military until the cartridge age.

    The Type 94 pistol could be fired by pushing on the outside sear. Japanese officers, at least the junior officers had to buy their own handguns and the 94 was the cheapest. And possibly the last Japanese weapon developed in WW 2. (9/44).
    What's incredible is seeing them loose in a place where they actually are allowed to shoot. They go plum crazy. When I lived in Vegas, they would line up by the van-full to shoot guns at the tourist trap ranges that catered to foreigners from gun restricted countries, all of whom would pay way over a sensible rate just to shoot anything, and double that to go full auto.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    I'm re-reading "The Last Stand of Fox Company," about the Korean War at the Chosin. The Marines thought the carbine lacked stopping power and they had to choose head shots. This could be a false impression, of course, but it was widely held enough to be part of the folklore, at least of Fox Comapny. The book is non- fiction. It's available on Kindle and extremely good.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    What's incredible is seeing them loose in a place where they actually are allowed to shoot. They go plum crazy. When I lived in Vegas, they would line up by the van-full to shoot guns as the tourist trap ranges that catered to foreigners from gun restricted countries, all of whom would pay way over a sensible rate just to shoot anything, and double that to go full auto.

    In the Philippines I don't think there's any real gun laws, like restrictions, but economics limits gun ownership. The average Filipino can't afford a gun. I had one brother in law that owned a Taurus .357 Mag. that I don't think he had ever shot, he had it for self defense.

    But when Filipinos come here to work or live they love to shoot and hunt. I know several around here that belong to my gun club. They are now citizens and love the Second Amendment and most of those vote Republican.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Allowed to shoot, own firearms, Japan could have indoor pistol ranges, shorter range rifle ranges, not every range has to be a 1,000 + meter proposition, there is freedom here in America, and once people taste it, some few opt to stay, most go back, but I hope they carry that seed always.....

    " The average Filip.ino can't afford a gun. I had one brother in law that owned a Taurus
    .357 Mag. that I don't think he had ever shot, he had it for self defense."

    Well, I would think lots of people in many Countries could not afford the ever popular
    Honda Super Cub 50 cc - 100 cc Motorcycles, 70 cc being common as dirt, but if somone wants one badly enough, same thing with guns, even in America, some people could never see past the $ 120 price tag of a High-point pistol, they just will NOT pay $500 for a quality gun ! Other people will, depends on your point of view and philosophy in life, and what era somone grew up too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Allowed to shoot, own firearms, Japan could have indoor pistol ranges, shorter range rifle ranges, not every range has to be a 1,000 + meter proposition, there is freedom here in Aerica, and once people taste it, some few opt to stay, most go back, but I hope they carry that seed always.....
    It's my own opinion that the reason Japan is so anti gun is because after WWII when MacArthur and the U.S. occupied it and rebuilt it, they the occupiers made restrictions against the Civilians having guns. Living there for the Japanese was probably akin to living under Marshall Law at that time and the gun free society just stuck. At that time the Japanese had no conception of Liberty and even today that idea is limited. Sometimes old habits don't want to die.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement