Home Main Category General Firearms

Guns that don't get any respect.

124»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Somehow, you don't read very GOOD, it is what I would do, not Grandma, and if Grandma consulted me, I would help her buy something better much better, and she is not even MY GRANDMA !

And yes, a shotgun is a great start and great General defensive porpoise arm.

Yes, if you never leave the house. Most people do and can't conceal a shotgun on their person. Also, it's "...don't read very WELL."
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Good point. I think part of the problem, back in the olden days, was it was a commie gun that commanded obscene prices. It is on my buy list. I'd like just the plain CZ-75B, maybe with night sights. Almost picked one up a few years ago, but decided instead to go with my Springfield Loaded.

When you buy your CZ-75B, start saving for the Kadet .22 conversion, too. It is a truly great .22 platform.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Does that include Henry .22 rifles? Granted, it's only the receiver cover but...

This is the only thing about Henry .22s that puts me off completely....not so much what the receiver cover is made of. but the fact that there is a receiver cover at all...it strikes me as cheap....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    The Henry .22 RFs are very good and accurate rifles at a good price. If you're looking for an all-steel lever action .22, be prepared to pay $1000.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This is the only thing about Henry .22s that puts me off completely....not so much what the receiver cover is made of. but the fact that there is a receiver cover at all...it strikes me as cheap....

well you can get one for < $300.00, not that far from a hipoint carbine. Both come with a lifetime warenty too. Never had to use it on either of mine and both are a blast to shoot. You can almost time the flight of a 9mm with a calendar out to 100 and sometimes even 150 yds against steel. Wait wait wait DING. The Henry is a tac driver out to 50 yds or so. Pretty good for cheap V notch iron sights. Actually, the cheap cover makes access to the inards pretty easy.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Does the defensive porpoise sleep in a bathtub full of water?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    Well, we have them in the creek at CPNC; but, I don't know; can they sleep without putting their heads on the beach.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I borrowed the porpoise out of the story, Alice in wonderland, a character asked; with what porpoise ?

" 'If I'd been the whiting,' said Alice, whose thoughts were still running on the song, 'I'd have said to the porpoise, "Keep back, please: we don't want you with us!"'

'They were obliged to have him with them,' the Mock Turtle said: 'no wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise.'

'Wouldn't it really?' said Alice in a tone of great surprise.

'Of course not,' said the Mock Turtle: 'why, if a fish came to me, and told me he was going a journey, I should say "With what porpoise?"'

'Don't you mean "purpose"?'
    said Alice.

'I mean what I say,' the Mock Turtle replied in an offended tone. And the Gryphon added 'Come, let's hear some of your adventures.' "
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    spin control, hey, Doc.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Yes, if you never leave the house. Most people do and can't conceal a shotgun on their person. Also, it's "...don't read very WELL."

Well there is this home defense thingy to consider, and at one point, I carried around a pistol gripped Mossberg 500 in a nondescript zippered case.

And yes, anyone that has watched the movie Shawshank redemption would know that it is, read so well, it was simply a device, used to good effect.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Does that include Henry .22 rifles? Granted, it's only the receiver cover but...

I was about to ask the same. Always thought that about those "pot metal" guns until I got the urge of owning a .22LR lever action; after some years searching for one without results (9422s & 39As are VERY scarce here), local importer brought those, and for 270 bucks brand-new I HAD to take the risk, only to be gladly surprised since for the price both quality and specially performance were far above my expectations. Seems like the opinion of most owners of at least this particular H-001 model is pretty much the same, and that the customer service is top-notch if some problem with them ever appears (Even if accidental damage is involved)

Not only the receiver cover, but the whole receiver too appears to be made out of Zamak; probably the only main parts made of steel are the barrel, magazine tube, bolt and lever.