twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,238 Senior Member

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    Price looks good with not much time...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13776475/

I don't like it, because................it's not mine.....:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    They forgot the 7 in front of the 0!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Probably one of the most abusive lever guns I have ever fired...even with the ported barrel the thing kicks like a mule.
    2 rounds was my limit...not to mention being showered with all the crap that blew out of that port....I'll stick with my .45-70...much more manageable...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Probably one of the most abusive lever guns I have ever fired...even with the ported barrel the thing kicks like a mule.
    2 rounds was my limit...not to mention being showered with all the crap that blew out of that port....I'll stick with my .45-70...much more manageable...

Yup. And if you really desire to have your fillings knocked loose, you can always load the .45-70 to brutal levels.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member

Guess I am fixing to find out....I enabled myself. :uhm:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Yup. And if you really desire to have your fillings knocked loose, you can always load the .45-70 to brutal levels.

Never fired one of those either. I needed a big bore rifle, yep, that's is, I needed it.

Ain't that just like a woman...ask for advice and then ignore the advice...:roll:
    Ain't that just like a woman...ask for advice and then ignore the advice...:roll:

Don't remember asking for advice but you were too late, it was over.
    It is pretty though, could do without the safety function....
    I ain't skeered of it....yet. :jester:
    Never fired one of those either. I needed a big bore rifle, yep, that's is, I needed it.

Well, hell...if you needed it, then carry on :tooth:

(Please report back with a pic of your shoulder!)

Seriously, if you bought it, have fun. If you handload, you can always tune it down if it's too insane on the beating.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    A good friend of mine had one when we were on the big bore kick for deer hunting. Those factory Hornady 350gr loads are nothing short of BRUTAL. I had the same gun in .45-70 and yes it was brutal too with heavy handloads, but at least it could be easily tamed with or without handloading.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Well, hell...if you needed it, then carry on :tooth:

(Please report back with a pic of your shoulder!)

Seriously, if you bought it, have fun. If you handload, you can always tune it down if it's too insane on the beating.

Yep, going to have to look into dies, bullets etc.....it also costs you extra when you get a new cartridge. :angry:

Hey, these are on clearance>>
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440591/hornady-leverevolution-ammunition-450-marlin-325-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-20
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Never shoot it without hearing protection! Ever! Even hunting. Cool grab!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Never shoot it without hearing protection! Ever! Even hunting. Cool grab!

Thanks for the heads up...you guys are starting to freak me out. It can't be THAT bad can it?
    It can't be THAT bad can it?

Yes...it can...
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    It's ported. That is the only reason I said never shoot it without hearing protection, and a relatively short barrel. It is no shoulder buster or stock breaker but it will get your attention if you do not use good shooting techniques. It comes down to basic physics 325 gr bullet going 2400 fps, it goi g to push back. And, well, a Marlin stock is not the best design for that kind of recoil.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Still want one (450) in a bolt action. But, cool snag! I saw one sitting on the Gander shelf for a long time I nearly bought several times over. Glad someone else snagged it, though, just sounds unpleasant to shoot.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    cpj wrote: »
    Yep.
    It's a great round. It's basically a 45-70 that you can hot rod. Designed to allow a big bore stomper round, without fear of blowing up old weaker 45-70 guns.

I like that, as mentioned earlier, you can always load it down, but you can only go so high.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Cool! So far, the guys at the SE shoot say it's a tie for most abusive gun. Between my 450, and my 300 RUM. ENJOY!
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member

You stole that! It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Once sighted in you are only going to use it for hunting and I'm sure when you have the sights on a nice buck or bear, you won't feel the recoil at all. Get yourself some Hornady 350's for it. They're not bad at all. Enjoy the new toy. :beer:

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
    Make sure you get a matching revolver to go with it!
    jbohio wrote: »
    Cool! So far, the guys at the SE shoot say it's a tie for most abusive gun. Between my 450, and my 300 RUM. ENJOY!

That gives me something good to compare to......i know first hand...I have .300 RUM myself...thanks!
    wizard78 wrote: »
    You stole that! It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Once sighted in you are only going to use it for hunting and I'm sure when you have the sights on a nice buck or bear, you won't feel the recoil at all. Get yourself some Hornady 350's for it. They're not bad at all. Enjoy the new toy. :beer:

That is my weakness, when I see them going low I always seem to have to chime in!
    I always wanted an 1895, but was always thinking in .444 marlin....this will do....thanks!!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    My Ruger #1 .45-70 with 325 G jacketed bullets got described as a "slobber-knocker" by one of the Southeast Shoot participants. It will get your attention, and I didn't have it stoked up to a max load!
    Jerry
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    Your going to love it. It hurts so good:yikes::yikes:

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    That is my weakness, when I see them going low I always seem to have to chime in!

I always wanted an 1895, but was always thinking in .444 marlin....this will do....thanks!!!

I don't think you can get the kind of performance with a 45-70 that you can with a 450 Marlin. It's one wicked bad ass cartridge.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Price looks good with not much time...

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13776475/

Very nice gun !

20160124124919-6562_zps3qofasey.jpg

:yousuck:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    I had one for a few years. That is a very nice gun and great for pig and bear. The recoil is substantial but like mentioned you won't fel it when your hunting. It not a gun to plink with. I got mine when they had just come out. I contacted Hornaday and their technicians we're happy to share their reduced recoil load information. I gave this rifle to my son and my reloading gear is in the shed. When I get into it I'll PM you the data. IIRC I was loading a 300 gr bullet.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't think you can get the kind of performance with a 45-70 that you can with a 450 Marlin. It's one wicked bad ass cartridge.

Recheck your info. My 1895CB chronographed a 405gr bullet at 2100fps and it wasn't quite a max load. jbohio was the only person at the SE shoot that had the guts to shoot it. I fired the first round and my eyes teared up.:tooth:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,574 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Recheck your info. My 1895CB chronographed a 405gr bullet at 2100fps and it wasn't quite a max load. jbohio was the only person at the SE shoot that had the guts to shoot it. I fired the first round and my eyes teared up.:tooth:

I'm still in love! The power! I've been searching for that rifle ever since. Never seen one locally. I'm
    just about to bite the bullet, buy one on GB.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Your going to love it. It hurts so good:yikes::yikes:

Sako

Looking forward to it!!