Home Main Category General Firearms

Here's One For You Lever Heads....

2»

Replies

• cpt-tcpt-t Member Posts: 37 Member
    twa: My Son and I have had a 450 Marlin for several years now. And like the others guys have said, when you shoot your 450 Marlin. It will get your attention, but it is a 450 Marlin and it is supposed to do that. Ours is very accurate,shoots to POA for both of us, and is very quick getting on target. My Son shoots ours the Lions share of the time. And it is a Pig Killing Machine for darn sure. I have not and probably will not be shooting this rifle off of a bench. But shooting the 450 Marlin standing up off hand while hunting will not bother you that much. It is going to recoil, so let it recoil, just hold the rifle correctly and hang on to it. I bet you will really like your 450 Marlin, you don`t see them everyday. Oh yeah You had better stock up on as much ammo and brass as you can, for future use. Again my Son just loves our 450 Marlin and shoot it quite a bit. You might try a Sims slip on recoil pad, they are selling them at Wallmart for a pretty cheap price and your rifle will take a size small or medium I believe. I wear a Past recoil pad under my shirt also when I am shooting any of our hard kicking rifles. And have for a long time and they really work for me IMHO and no one can see it or tell I have it on. I turned 72yrs old this year and recoil is starting to bother me a little now.
    ken
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    cpt-t wrote: »
    twa: My Son and I have had a 450 Marlin for several years now. And like the others guys have said, when you shoot your 450 Marlin. It will get your attention, but it is a 450 Marlin and it is supposed to do that. Ours is very accurate,shoots to POA for both of us, and is very quick getting on target. My Son shoots ours the Lions share of the time. And it is a Pig Killing Machine for darn sure. I have not and probably will not be shooting this rifle off of a bench. But shooting the 450 Marlin standing up off hand while hunting will not bother you that much. It is going to recoil, so let it recoil, just hold the rifle correctly and hang on to it. I bet you will really like your 450 Marlin, you don`t see them everyday. Oh yeah You had better stock up on as much ammo and brass as you can, for future use. Again my Son just loves our 450 Marlin and shoot it quite a bit. You might try a Sims slip on recoil pad, they are selling them at Wallmart for a pretty cheap price and your rifle will take a size small or medium I believe. I wear a Past recoil pad under my shirt also when I am shooting any of our hard kicking rifles. And have for a long time and they really work for me IMHO and no one can see it or tell I have it on. I turned 72yrs old this year and recoil is starting to bother me a little now.
    ken

Thanks for the information and welcome aboard. Looks like you will fit in right well here!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    wizard78 wrote: »
    You stole that! It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Once sighted in you are only going to use it for hunting and I'm sure when you have the sights on a nice buck or bear, you won't feel the recoil at all. Get yourself some Hornady 350's for it. They're not bad at all. Enjoy the new toy. :beer:

You're right on wizard, the power of distraction is amazing, the distraction being the game you're shooting at. The 9.3x62 that I shoot is the devil itself on the bench. I have to strap on my PAST Recoil Shield to endure sighting it in. But when it's pointed at game, when you pull the trigger, other than the noise, you don't even notice.

Heck, after I said that, I think I'll go get me a .460 Weatherby to hunt hogs!!! "NOT!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Recheck your info. My 1895CB chronographed a 405gr bullet at 2100fps and it wasn't quite a max load. jbohio was the only person at the SE shoot that had the guts to shoot it. I fired the first round and my eyes teared up.:tooth:

Oh I don't mean to take anything away from a 45-70. I shot one once that almost screwed me into the ground because I was standing and it almost whipped me around in a circle. I handed it back to the owner and said you can have this thing, it's pure punishment. And I guess maybe I was talking out my rearward body orfice because I've never shot a 450, just read a good bit about it once when i was thinking about buying one. Let me rephrase what I said, "From what I've read, it's a real body slammer." In fact, one guy I met in the Gun Club said he had it and a .458 Win. Mag. and it would give the .458 a run for its money in the recoil department.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    cpt-t wrote: »
    twa: I wear a Past recoil pad under my shirt also when I am shooting any of our hard kicking rifles.

There is wisdom here....A PAST pad makes taking the big bores to the range a much more enjoyable event.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm still in love! The power! I've been searching for that rifle ever since. Never seen one locally. I'm
    just about to bite the bullet, buy one on GB.

I haven't stopped looking for one for you either!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,572 Senior Member
    I haven't stopped looking for one for you either!

:beer:
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    What a steal!!! Congratulations!!! You SUCK!!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    What a steal!!! Congratulations!!! You SUCK!!!

Luis

Thank you!
    Really ready for this rifle to get here. Yeah, I think I am going to feel this thing roar.

.450 Marlin vs. .45 ACP

902B4249-CA43-42AE-A069-7B8073838157.jpg
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 78 Member
    twa wrote: »
    Really ready for this rifle to get here. Yeah, I think I am going to feel this thing roar.

Here's a link to the Marlin Owners .450 Marlin forum. Lots of folks who like the .450 are there. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/450-marlin/
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey I just found out yesterday that I'll be able to order a '73 at dealers cost :devil:
    Sounds like your going to have to figure out how to sneak one more into the house.....:tooth: handguns are easy rifles well, there are only so many 4' fluorescent light bulbs one might need.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.