Home Main Category General Firearms

Self help trigger job SW 59

104RFAST104RFAST Senior MemberPosts: 1,281 Senior Member
I've had a SW 59 for some time that I rarely shoot due to a very scratchy trigger pull. Then I run across this video
on the web about do it yourself trigger enhancement on 3rd generation SW pistols. Sense I have most of the tools
shown in the video and its a crappy rainy day,what the heck. So I go through the complete dis-assembly process
paying close attention to how things come apart,all the while telling myself if you can assemble a jet engine you can do this. Sure enough,the trigger bar outside edges are very rough and I'm think'n why did SW choose to leave the rough edges when a few strokes with 300 grit eliminates 80% of the roughness. So I spend about 30 minutes sanding
and stoning the trigger bar and sear just like the video.Now the fun part,putting all the little pieces and springs
back where they came from. Well the trigger bar went pretty well, only took a few attempts to figure it out.
Well, there's this little thingy that looks like a fish hook with a T on the top, pretty obvious where it goes but I cant
remember weather the hook faces fwd or aft. After about 20 minutes I decide on facing the hook aft and move on to the sear. Well, after about 30 minutes trying to figure out placement of the sear without success I resort to my ace in the hole,after a peek at my model 39 I figure it out . So, now I'm about 2 hours into this, finally the sear is in place and I didn't have any trouble
with the rest of the assembly process, I thought. So now the pistol is fully assembled and I'm very pleased with
the trigger and its off to the range.
Things went very well at the range and I'm happy with my new found gunsmithing abilities, so happy I've decided
the 59 is my new truck gun after a good cleaning. Well, after cleaning I discover the slide will not go completely
forward into battery, about 1/2 inch short and bound up tight. Now I'.m really confused, after about 30 minutes I notice this only occurs
when I rack the slide with the safety on, apparently I put about 100 rounds through the pistol without the safety
being on. So now, with my ace of space gunsmithing abilities in doubt I start to disassemble the pistol and I notice
the de-cock lever looks and feels a little different than my 39,so I carefully partially slide the hammer pin in and
insure the pin goes through hole in the de-cock lever. Sha-Zam, apparently I missed the hole when installing the hammer pin causing it to rise a little above the frame causing the slide to lock up when the safety is engaged.
A trip to the range today proved I finally got all the springs,levers and the hook thingy back in the correct location
and I'm finally very satisfied with the results.The 39 is next!!

Replies

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And THAT'S why I'm back to 1911s. You'd have to be a complete dumbbell to assemble one wrong (sorry in advance to anyone here who has :tooth:)

But on the lighter side, I'm sure you learned a lot in those few hours. Good for you for having the internal fortitude to tackle it :cool2:

Boredom is a bad thing
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I came to similar conclusions about tackling the trigger on my S&W Shield. But I didn't like it at all with the crummy trigger pull, and I would lose money to sell or trade, so I dived in. I had it completely disassembled three times before I finally got it like I wanted with an Apex straight trigger and a separate Apex sear kit. But it changed the gun from a major disappointment into something I enjoy, so it was well worth the effort.

You did good - might as well fix everything you've got, now, and build an AR or two.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I'm finally very satisfied with the results.The 39 is next!!

Congratulations on the job the next one will be a cake walk.
    Gotta love a nice trigger.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    And now it's an addiction!! That's how we all started on our path to oblivion!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's great for you.

You realise though that some of us can't reassemble a jet engine :beer:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    That's great for you.

You realise though that some of us can't reassemble a jet engine :beer:

All you need is the correct Tech Order!
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    All you need is the correct Tech Order!

+1