Home Main Category Personal Defense

Why not to Open Carry

2»

Replies

• KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    Although my state, KS, has constitutional carry I do not like to see open carry except by a peace officer showing a badge. It is the law, however, and my feeling is just an opinion. I have spoken to people open carrying, most are nice people, and we have never discussed how they carry. I always carry concealed as I am now retired after serving 30 years. When I carried openly it was always in uniform.
  • WheelWheel Member Posts: 102 Member
    I took Elmer and Lorraine Keith out to dinner in Idaho.

We were being shown to our table when Mr. Keith turned back towards the door.

He had forgotten to put his Stetson on the hat rack.

That was an issue. He would not have worn his hat to the dinner table.

What was not an issue was the Smith & Wesson .44 in it's holster on his belt, for everyone to see.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Well, I'm not saying Open Carry is wrong either. But I will say I think it's wrong for me. There are those out there that are professional gun people both offensively and defensively. I am not a professional LE guy or anything else. I'm just a guy that can shoot reasonably well and I like the feeling of having some sort of equalizer in the real world of bad guys that prey on innocent people. You don't have to be Chuck Norris to use a gun for Self Defense. But I don't feel confident enough that I want the world to know I'm carrying. I feel in most situations I have as much chance of neutralizing a threat as the threat has of taking me out. And if he doesn't know I'm carrying maybe I won't attract his attention before I can neutralize his threat.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    When I was receiving physical therapy recently for some back-related problems left over from my motorcycle wreck, I would leave my carry piece in the car as a practical matter, not because of any reluctance to carry inside the facility. I did not remove the IWB holster. One young lady was a little upset at the mere presence of the holster on my belt. When our conversation worked its way around to "Why do you carry a gun?" I asked her what happens when she dials 911- - - -do they send out a lawyer with a restraining order? When I explained that I consider a person who will call someone else to protect them while refusing to participate in their own defense to be a hypocritical coward, I think I educated her a little. The other therapists I dealt with over the course of six weeks were all very supportive, and most of them told me they're armed at home, but not necessarily out in public. I encouraged them to CCW with the same sort of logic, and didn't get much argument.

I'm not particularly fond of advertising the fact that I carry, but if my shirt tail happens to get flipped the wrong way I don't freak out.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,149 Senior Member
    There are lots of places in this country where you can open carry without a second look from anyone....There are others that the mere sight of a firearm will bring a SWAT team.
    A few years back my wife and I were going into a Cracker Barrel in MI for a meal. I had parked next to a car with Maryland plates who arrived about the same time. As I exited the truck, my normally concealed firearm was visible for a bit as I put on my jacket. As we entered the store I heard the female half of the Maryland couple inform a CB employee "That man has a gun"...she was informed that "Lots of people here carry guns". As we were seated fairly close by the couple we were privy to the conversation when she informed her waiter that "That man has a gun" Once more she was informed that "the law in this state allows that"....by this time the poor woman was positively frantic and I think was on the verge of calling 911 when her husband finally told her"For Christs sake...just stop!"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,441 Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of advertising that I have a gun. I do like the fact the open carry protects me if my shirt rides up and exposes my hand gun. A few years ago I was at the mall shopping at Christmas time. This under cover Frisco police officer walked up to me and casually showed me his badge, identified himself and calmly asked if I had a CCL license for my sidearm. He said my sweat shirt had rode up and my 1/2 of my sidearm was in view. I said yes and he quietly asked if I would show him. No one around us knew anything was going on, just two folks walking along and having a conversation. As we walked I reached for my wallet and pulled out CCL and handed it to him. As we continued to walked he checked it over, handed it back and told me to make sure to keep it covered. He then wished me a Merry Christmas and headed in a different direction.

I have to say I was impressed with whole event and how he handled it. He was very quiet and professional how he handled it, but he was also in complete control if I did something stupid or didn't have a permit. That may sound screwy but he was in complete control of the situation. Now, I'm legal from anything like that.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Context.

Its okay to have my pants down in the bathroom. Maybe not so much in the kitchen.

Context.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    As far as my opinion of open carry, I have loosened up a little. Wambli makes sense in his view of it. So I'm not going to bad mouth the practice. I am thinking now it depends on the person and the circumstance. I will say that I do like the freedom the law allows. I don't have to worry about my firearm showing now. But my choice to conceal is just what makes me personally comfortable. And that should be a personal choice and I will honor your right to carry as you wish.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,441 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    But my choice to conceal is just what makes me personally comfortable. And that should be a personal choice and I will honor your right to carry as you wish.

Exactly, well put! What's good for one isn't necessary good for someone else!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    There are some of us that have a distaste for the permission slip normally accompanied with CC. Until this summer, Idaho required a permit to carry concealed. Open carry was perfectly legal. For nearly a decade, I opened carried without any issues.

Now I carry concealed (in public) more often than not. For me, it is the permit required, not the method.

I will say this: After OCing for so long, CCing feels weird.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    When will folks (sadly, myself included) realize that somebody not doing 'X' the same way we do doesn't make them wrong, or less?

Like I said, I'm guilty as anyone, maybe more than most.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Personally, not a huge fan of OC'ing. If you want to, well bless your little heart and knock yourself out with it.
    Since it's my gun, my big butt, and my loved ones I'm defending with it. I'll carry how I wish.

When it's you & yours on the line, your choice.

I won't tell you you "should" CC, though I may have thoughts questioning your intelligence. :silly:

This is where I fall. A guy came into the store yesterday who's been in before. To my Jaundiced eye, he looks like he's compensating for inadequacies in other areas in his life. He carries a modern pistol (Don't recall the make) and an obscenely large knife on his belt. He also walks with what I would describe as 'swagger'... but he doesn't seem to bother anybody, so whatever.

To each his own, I guess.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of advertising that I have a gun. I do like the fact the open carry protects me if my shirt rides up and exposes my hand gun. A few years ago I was at the mall shopping at Christmas time. This under cover Frisco police officer walked up to me and casually showed me his badge, identified himself and calmly asked if I had a CCL license for my sidearm.

You are talking about Frisco as in Texas, Right? I didn't think we had any Reciprosity with anything California.
    One last note here. As I get older I do get a little more forgetful. This Open Carry law will help me out two ways. I will open carry on occasion, that occasion being when I go hunting.

Now I don't consider wearing a gun in the field as having anything to do with an open carry law. But, if I don't strap my carry gun on at the house I'll probably about 30% of the time walk out without my Revolver. That's what I like to carry hunting AND I do feel almost naked without it while I'm hunting.

Since I can now open carry I will strap gun and all on at the house because I had a bad experience or a near miss bad experience before the open carry law was in effect and also before I had a carry permit. As I have mentioned on here before, I have before, forgotten I had it on and gone inside the local stop n rob with it strapped on before I had a permit and before OC was legal in Texas.

Most of the time I'll catch myself before I walk in the store, but last time that happened a guy came up behind me and says, "Nice hog leg you got there!" I ran to the truck and threw it under the seat. I thanked the guy for telling me. This happened to me once and it pretty well cured me, I think! But I don't trust my memory 100% anymore so this gives me some insurance.

Now it will not be an issue and I can strap it on at the house before I leave for the hunt, which means I will also better remember to take my carry gun with me. Because if not, I'm liable to walk right out of the house without it and remember it when I get to the gate at the lease. Hell some days I'm lucky to remember my ammo for my rifle.