Home Main Category Personal Defense

Budget AR build...who am I kidding?

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Some parts on ARs are simply for the queer for gear crowd. Some parts are important.
    :win:

Operational parts.... yeah, skimping can be costly on a HD/SD AR.

I don't consider the pistol grip, stock, hand guard or muzzle device as "operational parts"

The only "black rifle" I've ever truly "broken" to the point of being useless was the FNC 223 carbine I bought just before the AWB of 1994. The hammer broke into 2 pieces.

So yeah, I pay attention to the quality of the internals.

Edited to add: The only time I've "broken" an AR was because I dropped a BCG while taking it out to clean the bore and it landed on the gas key, on concrete. It bent the gas key enough to no longer line up with the gas tube.
    Since I don't normally remove the BCG during a HD scenario, not worried about that happening when I "NEED" my AR to work.

The hammer just randomly snapping in half on my FNC..... Yeah, that rifle had to "head on down the road" (at a tidy profit after the AWB took effect :tooth: {even after paying nearly $150 for the replacement hammer })
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    I never buy budget anything when my life could be at stake. I buy only mil spec COLT rifles, and Walther, Ruger, or S&W handguns.