Home Main Category Personal Defense

What a difference a couple of years make

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,788 Senior Member
I ran across an ad for the Ruger LCP for $199. They sold in the $400 range for longer than anybody ever expected, until other gun manufacturers caught up with the demand for very small .380's and 9x19's. I waited over a year for that, and still paid $350 plus. I've moved on past that, with the availability of very small .45's and 9mm subcompacts, and rarely ever carry mine, but the LCP is a pretty good low end pocket pistol for those willing to bet their life on a .380 - certainly a heck of a lot more attractive at the correct price point.

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I actually went and looked at those yesterday. I wear overalls on occasion while working around the ranch and even my shield is a little too bulky to be comfortable in my pocket for long. I own a couple of .380's but even my stainless Colt govt. model is pretty heavy for it's size and I was looking for a light .380 to keep in my pocket. I've shot a friends LCP quite a bit and was pretty well settled on it but looked around a bit and determined that I like the S&W bodyguard a little better and it's only a few bucks more.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Yeah, I have always thought of the LCP as a point-blank gun, although the addition of a CT Laser made me think for awhile that I would be able to knock chunks off of a bad guy at 15 yards. However, lack of practice with it forces me to downgrade that expectation. Still, it's better than a sharp stick, as we have been taught here with the KelTec it copied.

I have carried it in the bib of my overalls - hardly noticeable, although I prefer to just stick a holster on a belt and strap it on under the overalls, with the XDs45 - also reasonably comfortable.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I think the Ruger is in a much better classification quality wise when compared to the Keltec, at $ 199 a good bargain, with today's better ammo, it is also worlds better than a
    .25 acp, the Keltec is low end, I would not consider the Ruger as low end.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I think the Ruger is in a much better classification quality wise when compared to the Keltec, at $ 199 a good bargain, with today's better ammo, it is also worlds better than a
    .25 acp, the Keltec is low end, I would not consider the Ruger as low end.

I remember someone climbing all over me when I stated the same as a new member many years ago! :)

He isn't wound quite so tight anymore...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I looked at KelTecs before buying the LCP, and thought the Rugers were worth the extra they cost at the time. I guess they made a ton off of them and can now sell the overstock cheap.