Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

WH vetting NEV GOV a REP for SCOTUS??????

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
REP GOV.........wow what are they up to and what is the deal on him? A ploy to get REP to start what they said they wouldn't?

The White House is said to be considering Gov. Brian Sandoval (R-Nev.) as a nominee to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court. Here's what you need to know about him. (Sarah Parnass/The Washington Post)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/02/24/brian-sandoval-republican-governor-of-nevada-is-being-vetted-for-supreme-court-vacancy/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    It is a ploy to take attention from obamas shenanigans.
    He will never appoint someone so 2A friendly
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Some say the Dems wouldn't vote for him anyway, I dunno.

I think he is pro choice so that probably would sink him anyway (for REPs) or would it?

I smell a pack of rats scurrying around the WH.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Monkey wrench for screwing up the Congressional elections of 2016 and even 2018. It is actually a smart move on Ovomit's part ... I know in the back of my mind there is the though if Ovomit did nominate Sandoval the Senate should confirm him to insure Hillabeast doesn't get to seat a liberal in Scalia's chair (plus the vacancy coming up from Ginsburg's retirement).

DAMN ... it screws with things and Idiot Boy is laughing at the Senate and us conservatives ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Let us give this some thought....
    Should we wait for a President Clinton or Sanders to present their nominee next year? (perhaps a Justice Obama)
    Should we wait for a President Trump to nominate his sister? And don't you think that Democrats are going to filibuster any Republican nominee as payback if we wait?
    Obama already knows he won't get his ideal "progressive" picks confirmed in this environment so he has no choice but to put forth a reasonable candidate.
    Taking the open SCOTUS seat off the table right now will preempt energizing the Democrats before the November election. Their primary turnout numbers are low compared to 2008. Republican turnout is breaking records. You may want to let that sleeping dog lay.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,251 Senior Member
    Solidly pro-2A (which we need BADLY right now) AND pro-choice (which would leave the status quo) sounds too good to be true to me.

I've got to side with Jerm on this one - better to take the seat of the table with a pick that we can live with than leave it up to the next president - who may very well be Hillary or Bernie.

Whoever ends up in the White House next will almost certainly be replacing Ginsburg. We have no certainty that pick will come from Rubio or Cruz; don't have the slightest idea who Trump would nominate; and for DAMN sure don't want Hillary or Bernie picking TWO justices.

If we are in fact catching BarriO in a moment of weakness to compromise in an attempt to build his "legacy", we should probably lock down the T&E and fire for effect.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Honestly, I like Sandoval and think he is a good option. He was on our side of at least most of the issues while I lived there. Living in Nevada, I wrote his office on a couple of occasions and actually got some traction. One contact actually involved lack of reaction from the Nevada Department of Wildlife in the case of an illegally baited trap that snagged my buddy's hunting dog. His team nudged someone into at least attempting to investigate.

All that said, we'll see how the politics of it plays out. Right now, I think the President just wants to make the Republicans who swore up and down that they would never approve his nominee eat their words, or at least look foolish following through on said promise.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    As an outsider looking in........................What better way to cause dissent amongst the GOP and create a 'factionalising' environment during what is likely to be the most important election year for the last few decades................especially at a time when conservatives should be uniting to get rid of a greater evil...............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I don't trust him. He has a plan in there somewhere.
    Remember that Obama has only three options.

1) Make a recess appointment.
    2) Present a nominee to the Senate.
    3) Do not present a nominee to the Senate.

His pen and phone is not going to help him this time. Legislative sleight of hand won't work either.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Ovomit is a political chess player, and I'm sure he is considering all possible outcomes. He is truly a classic Machiavellian politician.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Solidly pro-2A (which we need BADLY right now) AND pro-choice (which would leave the status quo) sounds too good to be true to me.

This does sound too good to be true - somebody who just might have ethics? Wow. What am I missing?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    This does sound too good to be true - somebody who just might have ethics? Wow. What am I missing?

The ploy is to give up one SCOTUS seat (betting on Hillabeast winning '16) to mess up the incumbent GOP Congressmen in '16 by pissing off many conservatives who do don't want any consideration of an Ovomit appointee and shifts the Senate (and possibly House) to a more favorable Dem leaning vote possibility.

Then looking down the near road Ginsburg is ancient and will be retiring (or even possibly dying) during the next presidential term thus Hillabeast would be able to seat a liberal and thus swinging the SCOTUS left.

It is forward looking thought maybe ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Then looking down the near road Ginsburg is ancient and will be retiring (or even possibly dying) during the next presidential term thus Hillabeast would be able to seat a liberal and thus swinging the SCOTUS left.
    Ginsburg is already a liberal so replacing her with another liberal doesn't change very much. I think that Obama is confronted with the option of replacing Scalia the conservative with a moderate. While not the liberal he would like to put there, it is still a tiny shift left and a minor win for him.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Ginsburg is already a liberal so replacing her with another liberal doesn't change very much. I think that Obama is confronted with the option of replacing Scalia the conservative with a moderate. While not the liberal he would like to put there, it is still a tiny shift left and a minor win for him.

That's right she was one of Bill's women ... can't keep all of his straight.
    - George Orwell
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I don't trust him. He has a plan in there somewhere.
    He doesn't have a plan or a clue. That has and will continue to be the responsibility of his handlers.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I think everybody is over thinking this. Obama is a lame duck and just wants to have some fun. Mitch McConnell has been his punk for years - somebody he can abuse and push around, at will. If he can make him change his stance, after saying they could wait 'till hell freezes over' and there wouldn't be a vote, it would be hilarious to him to cause such outrage among Republicans who were thinking that just maybe, McConnell had finally grown a spine.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, the GOV asked he NOT be considered for SCOTUS news just reported.

????? Strange??????
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Usually, when it seems like something is too good to be true, it's because it is. I'm skeptical, but I don't see a more attractive option at the moment.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin