Home Main Category Personal Defense

I actually felt undergunned....

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,245 Senior Member
Had an incident happen at 7:15 Monday morning, that has changed my carry habits. Went into the local quick stop down by my work (crappy part of town), and a younger black man (maybe 25), dread locks (obviously high on something) was in front of me at the check out ordering cigarettes and booze, all of the sudden he drops to the ground, pulls up his sweats and starts digging around around his ankles, I immediately stuck my hand in my pocket, took the safety off my Smith and Wesson body guard .380 and thought, well....this is it, get ready. The guy fumbles around and pulls cash out of sock :yikes: holy bejeezens that scared the hell out of me, and I honestly thought to myself, I wish I had a bigger gun at the time. As the guy exits the store, I took my hand out of my pocket and went to the counter and ask the guy behind the counter what he thought of the situation. His reply, was he wasn't worried, he would have got the drop on him, l told him well that would have been both of us...he just smiled and I went on my way. As soon as I got home, I changed back to my Ruger LC9 9MM for pocket carry. I have carried that little .380 90% of the time, I guess I just got complacent...you never know when or where you will need it, this just scared me enough to change to a little more firepower.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Recently, I went back to packing my 1911 instead of the P-64 that's been my go-to pocket rocket for a while. Since it took two shots to dispatch a sick feral cat that showed up at our doorstep, I've gotten a little concerned about its possible effectiveness against a coked-up street ape!
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Since we moved back to MI, I've started carrying a 1911 most of the time but especially when we go into the city...the .38 LCR is still handy for a New York Reload...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Since we moved back to MI, I've started carrying a 1911 most of the time but especially when we go into the city...the .38 LCR is still handy for a New York Reload...
    Really? That ghetto TC? Rich people's Up North?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Really? That ghetto TC? Rich people's Up North?

Naw...Muskegon, G.R. and Kalamazoo... We've got family in those places. and have you been to Baldwin lately?
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Naw...Muskegon, G.R. and Kalamazoo... We've got family in those places. and have you been to Baldwin lately?
    Gotcha. No, they don't plow my road and I don't have sleds (yet). The DNR is hosting a steelhead fishing clinic in April. That will be our first time up this year.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Gotcha. No, they don't plow my road and I don't have sleds (yet). The DNR is hosting a steelhead fishing clinic in April. That will be our first time up this year.

Some of the locals up here take creepy to a whole new level...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    We used to carry our money and ID in our socks or shoe when we went out in town in Olongapo outside Cubi Point NAS Philippines
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Recently, I went back to packing my 1911 instead of the P-64 that's been my go-to pocket rocket for a while. Since it took two shots to dispatch a sick feral cat that showed up at our doorstep, I've gotten a little concerned about its possible effectiveness against a coked-up street ape!
    Jerry

In my experience the feral cat is one tough SOB!
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    We used to carry our money and ID in our socks or shoe when we went out in town in Olongapo outside Cubi Point NAS Philippines
    I spent Christmas of 80 there.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    In my experience the feral cat is one tough SOB!

Agreed. I saw one take a .243 to the neck and get buried, and come back the next day! At that point it met Mr. Machete and stayed dead.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    I spent Christmas of 80 there.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I was there at Christmas of 75, we flew down there from Iwakuni Ja in an RF-4B to buy a popasan chair. It was a tight fit, but, we got that thing in the station 3
    camera bay
    of course we had left the camera equipment at Iwakuni.

Olongapo was a merry place at Christmas.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Yesterday, I was sitting in my car off 25th street in East St. Louis talking to a doctor's office on my bluetooth about a patient's medication regimen. A really nice silver Mercedes with tinted windows pulls up next to me and stops. I unholstered the CW-9 and slipped it under a leg and kept on talking to the nurse on the other end while I rolled down my window (I didn't want to have to shoot through glass - oh, and I keep my engine running all the time when parked in that neighborhood). The guy rolls down his window. Black male, about 35 or so, with tight locks and wearing what looks like a leather coat (hands on the wheel) asks me if I'm okay. I smiled and told him I was just making a couple phone calls about patients. He could see my scrub top. He smiled and said, "I'm a physician too." I said, "I'm not a physician, I'm a nurse." He nodded and said, "I gotta go. Just wanted to see if you were okay. Be careful down here." Then he drove away. He probably worked at Touchette Hospital.

The CW9 felt adequate to me. That was the first time I'd encountered a situation since I started carrying again, that made me question the adequacy of my carry piece. I've often wondered if I should switch to my XD-S, which I carry 99% of the time off work, but I'll keep using the CW9 cos it's a lot cheaper to replace if I have to give it to a cop (or toss it in a canal.):guns:
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain