Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Enough from the "Entitled Leaches"!

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    A lot of people die young after being in the military after 20+ yrs. Depending on what you do, the stress takes it's toll.
    Just yesterday I attended the Memorial Ceremony for a 36 year old SFC that we lost to cancer. He just went over 19 years active service and will never see a retirement check. Our Military isnt worth it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Jerry is right, 50% after 20 years is cheap for what the Country gets from our armed services.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Military retirement pay... is it based on 50% of the BASE pay? Not the high pay?

Yep, you win a stalk of Bananas :jester:

What alpha said didn't really upset or offend me, but I think folks knowing his history on here took it differently than if it came from anyone else.

I mean I heard something to the effect of that from family members/others my whole Army career with a modifier of you are doing good boy, we are proud of you, hang in there and so forth, because the military has a pretty good retirement plan.

Just my 2 centavos worth. I'd still go shootin with (not at alpha :tooth:) if the chance presented itself.

Not trying to start an argument, just sayin. I do appreciate all the kind words and support for our military and our VETs from all on here, from those who have and have not served. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Military retirement pay... is it based on 50% of the BASE pay? Not the high pay?

If it's based on base... that's a real rip.

Correct.

Basic Allowance for Housing? Gone.

Basic Allowance for Subsistence? Gone.

Flight pay? Gone.

You get half of the base pay. That's it.

STILL a good deal if you get high enough in the rank structure.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Correct.

Flight pay? Gone.

Not bad really, but not as good as the pension that non-military government workers take to Florida after retiring.

That says a lot right there.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    I remember when my flight pay was $110 and we were glad to have it.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I seem to remember combat pay being about $65.00 a month at close to the same time! Really made us feel all warm fuzzy toward the stinky hippies who were protesting in San Fran Freako!
    :angry:
    Jerry
    NN wrote: »
    I remember when my flight pay was $110 and we were glad to have it.

Makes me thankful for what we have now. I'm about to go over 14 years this year, which put me in the max bracket. Of course, at 22 years, it starts going back down, but I hope to be working on the last chapter of my working life by then.
    Yep, I don't think I got that, I believe only one type of hazard pay was authorized.
    Makes me thankful for what we have now. I'm about to go over 14 years this year, which put me in the max bracket. Of course, at 22 years, it starts going back down, but I hope to be working on the last chapter of my working life by then.
    I made a comment on that issue and then looked it up
    had to delete it.

However, during my time it actually started going down at about 18 yrs; IIRC it was 18.
    But, to tell the truth; I would have flown for free and some of the things we did would curl the hair
    on a bald General's head
    :rotflmao:
    I made a comment on that issue and then looked it up
    had to delete it.

However, during my time it actually started going down at about 18 yrs; IIRC it was 18.

Nowadays, 22 is the drop-off point for officers. From 14-22 years, it's at max. In June, I enter that max bracket. I've spent a great deal of time away from my family and in harms way to earn it, but no complaints.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/aviation-career-incentive-pay-for-officers.html
    But, to tell the truth; I would have flown for free and some of the things we did would curl the hair
    on a bald General's head
    :rotflmao:

I believe it. I went through nav school with the last generation of good ol' boys and that had some nutty stories!

I believe it. I went through nav school with the last generation of good ol' boys and that had some nutty stories!
    Hey, your using my tactical call sign
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,397 Senior Member
    Makes me thankful for what we have now.
    It was pay for glueing the feathers on.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Correct.

Flight pay? Gone.

Well, that does suck.

What's medical look like for retirees?
    Overkill is underrated.

It is in turmoil right now unless you are retired and grandfathered, then very good.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Well, that does suck.

Retirees are able to receive free medical treatment from medical facilities that are open to them. Or, they as I do buy into a insurance program called Tricare. While the premiums are fair, they are not free like I was promised, we also pay co-pays for office visits and medications. A small amount of eye care is covered and your on your own for dental.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The part I bolded. That easy. I, not some ing government stooge, that's who.

(Sorry, catching up from 3 pages ago)

OK, how about investing in one of Trump's companies that will be turned over to his wife/kids to run while he is POTUS :jester::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    OK, how about investing in one of Trump's companies that will be turned over to his wife/kids to run while he is POTUS :jester::rotflmao::rotflmao:

As much as I hate the thought of him as Pres, his companies would be a much better investment than SS for most people. For folks close to retirement who are depending on SS, not so much. For anybody else, you betcha.
    George Carlin
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    More "entitled leeches" at the corner grocery store. This afternoon I drove less than 2 miles to the store get beer and cigarettes. A "chunky" hetro couple were in front of me at checkout with their arms full of chips cookies and candy. They asked for 2 scratch off lottery tickets. They produced 2 one dollar bills for the tickets. I rose a bit on my toes in anticipation. Yes. There was the EBT card. Disgusting.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Bread and Circuses"- - - - -the same way the goobermint has been controlling the great unwashed masses since Roman times!
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Purina people chow.

Just sayin

Hey...Please pass the Soylent Green.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Yep. Odd that they rate them on how many go, and not how many actually finish....

You beat me to it.

Now that I notice the dates, by about a year.:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You beat me to it.
    By almost a year. (Check the dates on when I posted that.)
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I did a little research for a photo essay on the difference between "bonus marchers" and "occupy Wall Street" the difference was "bonus marchers" were literally starving. They came from a time when one would have to be starving to ask for a check. Now people would rather get a check than do ANY work. In addition Obamacare and the present attitude toward work made a business model of hiring for part time a reasonable decision. You can get two retired baby boomers who show up and work part time instead of a millennial who thinks he should run the joint after 1 month.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,397 Senior Member
    Hey...Please pass the Soylent Green.

Soylent green was to feed starving masses because there wasnt enough to go around even if one tried. Purina People chow is charity.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    As for the people "feeding at the trough" that you're talking about, those with the luxuries are very rarely affording those things on the public dime. Almost always they're being subsidized by illegal activities. It just happens that often the neighborhoods many people associate with public assistance in their minds are also the neighborhoods most likely to support many of those illegal activities.

Agreed. So you admit that we are subsidizing criminals? Don't bother to answer... let me assure you this is the case. I work in a jail, and pretty much EVERY criminal in there gets some sort of Gov't assistance. They often talk about what they're going to spend their next check on, and it's not rent or paying their "baby mommas" to help support their kids.... and EVERY FREAKING ONE OF THEM has more kids than I do.

Government assistance is totally out of control, and I refuse to agree to pay even as much as I do already until we revamp the system, and get all these leeches off the Government teat.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Big Chief wrote: »
    So if there was no SS deductions, employers would give their contributions to their employees? I'm sure you would being the good boss you are, but most others............I doubt it.

They would have to compete for employees with the companies that did. On the average, the employees might not see every penny of that 7.5%, but they'd see most of it.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And while we are on the subject, if you take everything TAX taken out of your paycheck then add the hidden taxes you get hammered with every day like property, sales, utilities, gas, licenses, etc. and add on top of that government MANDATED expenses like car insurance you'll end up with well over 60% of every penny you make and for some of us even more.

I did this a few years ago, and arrived at a number very close to 50% WITHOUT including the cost of inflation (also a tax). Truly depressing.

Luis
    I get a YUUUUUGE kick out of hearing how I will someday magically 'get more' than I've given.

Sure I will. And monkeys will fly out of my ass. Even if I believed for one addle-brained second that I would, I would still opt out right now, this very moment for the 'privilege' to not pay in to this failed program any more.

And if I completely screw the pooch, leaving nothing for my golden years? Tough cheese.

THAT is how it should work.

You want a check every month? You want Uncle to buy your groceries and pay your rent? Grab a ing broom. When you're done with that, empty the trash.

No more freebies. Workfare, not welfare.
    George Carlin