Home Main Category General Firearms

XDS 9mm with grip safety.

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,929 Senior Member
Have these things got more reliable. Co worker looking to get his first carry gun and is comparing this to the shield with thumb safety. I have never had the opportunity to fire some rounds with either one of them so I can't really offer him any advice between the two..

Replies

• North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 356 Member
    I have been using the XDS in .45 with extended mags for a couple years with no issues even after a lot of practice with it. A good shooter and very reliable, but needs to be kept clean and well lubed. Quite comfortable for all day carry.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Even before the recall, my XD-S .45 was totally reliable. Has remained so.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have the XDs .45 and a Shield 9mm. Out of the box, the XDs is superior, in my opinion, although the Shield has been completely reliable. The XDs had a voluntary factory recall, but I have no knowledge of any reliability issues. Mine has been flawless and is the best shooting .45 subcompact I have tried. I recommended it to several others, and they all like it.

The Shield is considerably cheaper, or was at the time I purchased it, and the main difference is the trigger. The XDs had a nice trigger, and by comparison, the Shield trigger was completely unacceptable to me. I spent $140 on two different Apex trigger kits to correct it, and with the modifications, I think it is as good as the XDs.

Bear in mind that I have largish hands and long fingers, so finding a subcompact with a trigger pull that fits is very difficult for me.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    Not sure what you mean by more reliable. I've never had a lick of trouble with my XDs 45. As others have stated it's a a great gun for its size and intended use.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by more reliable. I've never had a lick of trouble with my XDs 45. As others have stated it's a a great gun for its size and intended use.
    Saw some videos with issues on the grip safety in the earlier models. Showed the grip safety causing slide issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,145 Senior Member
    It all depends on what feels good in your hand. My preference between the two is the shield. Feels more comfortable and i did not have trigger issues like bisley did with his
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,812 Senior Member
    So is the XDs like the XDm; you cannot unload the chamber without the grip safety depressed?
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    So is the XDs like the XDm; you cannot unload the chamber without the grip safety depressed?

I thought I saw where on the newer versions where you could rack the slide without the grip safety engaged.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    I thought I saw where on the newer versions where you could rack the slide without the grip safety engaged.

You do not have to have the grip safety engaged when you rack the slide on the XDS-45.