Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Haet Pump installed

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Heat Pump and Air Handler put in yesterday. Much quieter and works great. Two guys doing it were really good. New tubing/wiring/drain/top cover and molding on handler cabinet in garage and new Honeywell matched digital control inside. BTW it is very simple to set and use unlike some I've seen.

They also put a new concrete slab outside for the heat pump to sit on. They said new buildings codes since this house was built in the early 90s have changed and you can't place an outside unit underneath the electric meter as the old one was. The new HP (Lennox) is also much taller with more air vents even though it is the same 2.5 tonnage as the old one.

I did upgrade the air handler up one fer 300 more bucks or so, but this company was still cheaper than the other one and I still saved $500 off their estimate.

I know some folks in TX had to set their hot water heaters up so far off their garage floors before they were allowed to sell their houses to meet code.

Anyway, I'm happy and will put it to good use, been cool here last couple nights and summer ain't that far off. My electric bill should go down some too.

24 years outta that ole Rheem HP (original to the house), so I shouldn't complain.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    .......24 years outta that ole Rheem HP (original to the house), so I shouldn't complain.
    Wow, that's great service. Good luck with the new one. Mine is a Carrier and only 13 years old, but it gave me problems 2 years ago, and although it was temporarily fixed the tech told me if it breaks again, a new one will have to be installed.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    I bet you see a significant drop in you electric bill, we sure did.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member crusted in sandPosts: 5,797 Senior Member
    If your old unit was 24 years old, you should see a huge drop in your electric bill in the cooling season. I put a new system in for my next door neighbor a few years ago and he says that his electric bill hadn't changed much but then his wife pointed out that he's keeping the house about 10 degrees colder than he used to.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They say a couple degrees cooler setting in the summer can cost you plenty.

What do they recommend 74-78 degrees or so (?) depending on what your comfort level is, of course.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa FloridaPosts: 1,720 Senior Member
    We keep ours at 72 in the Summer.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO