Home Main Category General Firearms

New bake-ware finishes

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,112 Senior Member
My son and I were watching TV and they were advertising new cookware finishes that were ceramic & titanium and ceramic & copper. Very slick stuff but it looked tough as nails and they were using metal utensils and even a electric beater with metal mixers and they wern't scratching the finish. I realize it's TV but it got my son thinking

My son said, I bet that would make for a very tough metal finish on a rifle and provide a very slick surface. He's probably right and it will only be a matter of time before we start to see harder and slicker finishes for our guns!

Thoughts?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »

Thoughts?
    Probably be okay for external finishes, but anything that is fitted, coatings like that will probably be hell on tolerances.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Those ads were probably written by P.T. Barnum. Somebody in our household (not me) got suckered into buying a frypan a couple of years ago from an infomercial that made similar claims. Now it's decorating a landfill somewhere in Lincoln County Tennessee. Even with a heavy coating of cooking oil, food stuck like glue, and the "space age" coating got scratched almost immediately.

OTOH, Cerama-Coat from Midway bakes on to form a tough, almost scratchproof finish- - - -just don't coat anything with a precision fit.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    By Ronco?
    :jester:

I've seen the ads too.

But wait there's more!
    Sorry, I'm a hopeless sceptic.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,405 Senior Member
    I wonder if Flex Seal would make a good barrel finish. :uhm: