Home Main Category Personal Defense

Spyderco question

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 12,425 Senior Member
I have a friend travelling to Japan this year:
Are Spyderco's a better bargain if purchased in Japan?
Any particular models stand out as an EDC to those that have owned them?
Do they have Spyderco storefronts or are they sold in sporting goods/hardware store/ specialty shops?

I have no experience with them other than fondling them, my budget would be in the $100-125 range.
Thanks
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,151 Senior Member
    Carried multiple Enduras for many years. Switched from serrated to plain edge - even with the proprietary sharpeners, plain is just easier to take care of.

Switched to a OD green/black blade Benchmade Griptilian a couple years ago when the last Endura got lost. Seems to be a better at edge retention, is smoother opening/closing, and can be opened with either the hole in the blade or by simply pulling the Axis lock backward and letting gravity or a wrist flick do the job.

Either way, online shopping is your friend. Try Blade HQ.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Not being a world traveler I have no clue to the OP but I'll add a question ... What are the regulations on bringing evil knives into the US from out of the country? Knife laws in NC are clear as mud ... I am guessing import stuff is just as bad if not worse.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    My EDC when not at work is a Manix 2, made in Colorado. It's a little big for dress slacks but carries well in jeans or cargo pants/shorts. If I lost it, I would get another one.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP101GPS2/Spyderco-C101GPS2-Manix2-Folding-Knife-3-38-inch-Satin-Combo-Blade-G10-Handles

SP101GPS2n.jpg

That is a pretty good discount, thanks
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Carried multiple Enduras for many years. Switched from serrated to plain edge - even with the proprietary sharpeners, plain is just easier to take care of.

Switched to a OD green/black blade Benchmade Griptilian a couple years ago when the last Endura got lost. Seems to be a better at edge retention, is smoother opening/closing, and can be opened with either the hole in the blade or by simply pulling the Axis lock backward and letting gravity or a wrist flick do the job.

Either way, online shopping is your friend. Try Blade HQ.

My only "nice" knives are my Benchmades and my Kershaws, I have no complaints, but if I can get a Spyderco cheaper in Japan, then I feel like I should have one of those too.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Not being a world traveler I have no clue to the OP but I'll add a question ... What are the regulations on bringing evil knives into the US from out of the country? Knife laws in NC are clear as mud ... I am guessing import stuff is just as bad if not worse.

I just toss my knives in my checked luggage, never had any issue with anybody in Customs or TSA:uhm:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Switched to a OD green/black blade Benchmade Griptilian a couple years ago when the last Endura got lost. Seems to be a better at edge retention, is smoother opening/closing, and can be opened with either the hole in the blade....

I've had mine for 5-6 years and have carried it every day, since, and haven't wanted to buy another knife. It does everything I want and holds an edge longer than anything I've owned in the past.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Actually the laws are fairly clear and STUPID. In NC a knife is a weapon. If it's in your pocket it is now concealed and guess what? Your concealed carry permit is ONLY for handguns. You re not allowed to carry anything BUT a handgun concealed, not a knife, not a SMG, not an SBR, not a SB shotgun... Now if the knife has a clip and it shows on the outside of your pocket, waistband or belt it is no longer "concealed" and you are ok. It's protected the same as open carry :bang:

There are also the questions like blade length, fixed blade vs folder, action types, transporting in vehicle's console and other areas that are unclear to most including LEOs themselves. If you ask someone about a fish filet knife on your belt you'll get quite a few "Well, if ..." statements. The NC "weapons laws" are just crazy to me from the CHP doesn't cover this or that to pepper spray regs. Heck, I was told I was in violation because I carried my kubaton key chain tuck inside the waist of my jeans ... CONCEALED??? ... a wooden stick keychain?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Actually the laws are fairly clear and STUPID. In NC a knife is a weapon. If it's in your pocket it is now concealed and guess what? Your concealed carry permit is ONLY for handguns. You re not allowed to carry anything BUT a handgun concealed, not a knife, not a SMG, not an SBR, not a SB shotgun... Now if the knife has a clip and it shows on the outside of your pocket, waistband or belt it is no longer "concealed" and you are ok. It's protected the same as open carry :bang:

I will have to recheck the regs. The last I read, a fixed blade of any length was considered a weapon. A folder less than 4 inches was considered a tool, as long as it was not a switchblade, gravity knife (can be opened with a ballistic motion).
    Typically you won't find a good deal in Japan on anything. They have such convoluted, multi-layered wholesale and sistribution of goods, specially those manufactured in Japan, that you are basically guaranteed to find a better deal here in the USA. Anyway, I've owned a few over the years and they've been great knives.
    I was hoping you would post to this, I figured you would have at least checked it out in your travels.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 752 Senior Member
    I don't know about the price difference but my Calypso 3 has been a great knife. It's been in my pocket everyday for over 10 years. I've had many Spydercos but the Caly 3 is my all time favorite.
    I don't know about the price difference but my Calypso 3 has been a great knife. It's been in my pocket everyday for over 10 years. I've had many Spydercos but the Caly 3 is my all time favorite.
    What did you pay for it 10 yrs. ago?
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What did you pay for it 10 yrs. ago?

I can't even remember it's been so long
    A quick Google search looks like $150 with carbon fiber scales, what do you have for scales.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    A quick Google search looks like $150 with carbon fiber scales, what do you have for scales.

I'm are G10
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    The Spyderco knives are supposed to be great knives. I've never owned one, and at the rate I lose knives, that's probably a good idea. My EDC knives are a Kershaw Onion 1670 blk, non-serrated. I don't like serrated edge knives. It's a great knife. My other EDC is a Gerber lightweight. It's good for what is is, a short-bladed lightweight knife for peeling apples or opening letters.

I also have a Fallkniven folding knife that's a VERY excellent knife, but I'm afraid to carry it. I already lost one.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I want a Spyderco. That's my idea of the classical modern knife. My current EDC knive belonged to my dad and is a smooth blade 4" Kershaw. It's a great knife, but the Spyderco is the Classic.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GrizzzGrizzz New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    I want a arkansas toothpick !!! Ar! Ar! Ar!
    Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, Speak the Truth !! =Cooper=
    Speak Softly & Carry a Big Stick !! =Roosevelt=
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Grizzz wrote: »
    I want a arkansas toothpick !!! Ar! Ar! Ar!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHQvOjPSRUT9DaQu4Vt04tN-KtYxpi9qK2RrVGRUwadSge_3uq

There you go, old chap.