Home Main Category General Firearms

S&W SW22 Victory Review

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,404 Senior Member
Earlier this week, I picked up a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Model 22LR pistol (the “Smith”). Because my pistol looks exactly like the one on the S&W website, I didn’t bother to post my own picture. Because I bought the pistol to replace my Ruger 22/45 Target Model, all references to “Ruger” refer to it.

Fit and Finish: A

Although it is certainly not a custom gun, the fit and finish is what I have come to expect from a factor S&W firearm. Not highly polished, every major part (I didn’t take it completely apart) fit and worked properly.

Accuracy and Reliable: A

After sending 200 rounds of 22LR gold (aka Thunderbolts) downrange, I have zero complaints about the accuracy. I had zero failures.

To my eye, the only difference between the Smith’s accuracy vs the Ruger’s was because of the sights. Simply put, the Smith’s fiber optic sights are easier for me (older guy eyes) to pick up than the Ruger’s more traditional sights.

Looks: B

Although I know a lot of people don’t like the look of the Smith, I didn’t see much to complain about. Sitting side by side with the Ruger, the guns have a very similar design with the main difference being the rectangular receiver on the Smith vs. the round receiver on the Ruger.

Frankly, the only thing I like better on the Ruger from the looks perspective is the Ruger’s nice bluing vs. the stainless Smith.


Cleaning: A+++++++++

The YouTube videos are correct. Unlike the Ruger which a PITA to take apart and clean, taking apart the Smith is so easy that an idiot like me can quickly do it without using any foul language. (I didn’t bother to clean it).


Overall Rating: A+

Although I won’t sell the Ruger, it has been relegated to backup duty (when I need two guns). Basically, the Smith seems to offer all the fun/accuracy/reliability of the Ruger without the PITA cleaning hassles. Plus, who know, maybe I’ll pimp out the Smith with a Custom barrel someday.

Replies

  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,921 Senior Member
    If it functions with Thundercraps, it'll shoot anything!! I like the S&W .22 autos.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    I honestly like the look of that pistol. With a lightweight carbon fiber-wrapped barrel, I think it looks downright sweet.

    sw2.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I honestly like the look of that pistol. With a lightweight carbon fiber-wrapped barrel, I think it looks downright sweet.

    sw2.jpg

    Because the People's Republic has determined that threaded barrels on pistols make them illegal assault weapons, I can't have that barrel until they offer a non threaded version.

    Oddly enough, the People's Republic is ok with threaded rifles and surpressors.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Because the People's Republic has determined that threaded barrels on pistols make them illegal assault weapons, I can't have that barrel until they offer a non threaded version.

    Oddly enough, the People's Republic is ok with threaded rifles and surpressors.

    Dude, I feel for you. Gotta love the arbitrary rules and BS. That threaded version has my attention for that very reason and would be yet another gun I could use with my 22 suppressor.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,383 Senior Member
    Ok. . .I really need to drive 3,000 miles to Massachusetts and kick S&W's head of marketing in the nads. . .while wearing steel-toed boots. . .repeatedly. . .

    An M&P is a K-frame .38 revolver. It is NOT a polymer-framed semi auto, and it is NOT an AR-15.

    A Victory Model is a roughly-finish WWII production M&P (see above). It is NOT a Colt Woodsman wannabe.

    I get that a 2016 Dodge Challenger is a different car than a 1970 Dodge Challenger. . .but it's at least still a two-door muscle car. The confusion S&W is creating with their current name-resurrection game resembles what would happen if Dodge started making sailboats, airplanes, and locomotives, and called them all "Challenger". :bang::bang::bang::bang:

    As to Ruger breakdown, it's really not hard. You just have to understand the gun. Hammer strut needs to mate with the top of the mainspring. Once you've got that locked on, simple.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I honestly like the look of that pistol. With a lightweight carbon fiber-wrapped barrel, I think it looks downright sweet.

    sw2.jpg

    That Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel also cuts off a good amount of weight (I heard a little over 6 ozs) for when you want to run a suppressor. While $215 is a big chunk to add to a $375 gun ... I am just waiting for any hiccups in the first run before I buy both.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Every time I've seen someone show up with an old model SW22 at speed competitions, they have failed. Seems they didn't like to be shot to fast. Slower they worked ok, fast not so much. I hope this version works better. Kind of fugly IMO. Kind of like the new Ruger American pistol, to many conflicting shapes and angles.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Earlier this week, I picked up a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Model 22LR pistol (the “Smith”). Because my pistol looks exactly like the one on the S&W website, I didn’t bother to post my own picture. Because I bought the pistol to replace my Ruger 22/45 Target Model, all references to “Ruger” refer to it.

    Fit and Finish: A

    Although it is certainly not a custom gun, the fit and finish is what I have come to expect from a factor S&W firearm. Not highly polished, every major part (I didn’t take it completely apart) fit and worked properly.

    Accuracy and Reliable: A

    After sending 200 rounds of 22LR gold (aka Thunderbolts) downrange, I have zero complaints about the accuracy. I had zero failures.

    To my eye, the only difference between the Smith’s accuracy vs the Ruger’s was because of the sights. Simply put, the Smith’s fiber optic sights are easier for me (older guy eyes) to pick up than the Ruger’s more traditional sights.

    Looks: B

    Although I know a lot of people don’t like the look of the Smith, I didn’t see much to complain about. Sitting side by side with the Ruger, the guns have a very similar design with the main difference being the rectangular receiver on the Smith vs. the round receiver on the Ruger.

    Frankly, the only thing I like better on the Ruger from the looks perspective is the Ruger’s nice bluing vs. the stainless Smith.


    Cleaning: A+++++++++

    The YouTube videos are correct. Unlike the Ruger which a PITA to take apart and clean, taking apart the Smith is so easy that an idiot like me can quickly do it without using any foul language. (I didn’t bother to clean it).


    Overall Rating: A+

    Although I won’t sell the Ruger, it has been relegated to backup duty (when I need two guns). Basically, the Smith seems to offer all the fun/accuracy/reliability of the Ruger without the PITA cleaning hassles. Plus, who know, maybe I’ll pimp out the Smith with a Custom barrel someday.

    I guess the 41 is whole different price range???
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I guess the 41 is whole different price range???

    Yep. If competed, a 41 might be worth the price. But, for punching holes in paper, the Victory is more than enough gun for me.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    That Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel also cuts off a good amount of weight (I heard a little over 6 ozs) for when you want to run a suppressor. While $215 is a big chunk to add to a $375 gun ... I am just waiting for any hiccups in the first run before I buy both.

    It's a Volquartsen, so you know it will be money well spent. By itself, the weight savings could make it a little tougher to shoot, but you are absolutely correct: it carries nicer and with a suppressor, you get right back to a good shooting weight by gaining a little more heft up front.
    Yep. If competed, a 41 might be worth the price. But, for punching holes in paper, the Victory is more than enough gun for me.

    Yup. Add in the modularity for aftermarket parts and easy cleaning you described, and the whole deal sounds extremely appealing, especially at such a great pricepoint. Your post officially got my attention.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,383 Senior Member
    Yep. If competed, a 41 might be worth the price. But, for punching holes in paper, the Victory is more than enough gun for me.

    So really, the 41 is what they should be calling the "Victory" model. This thing would be more of of a "Watched the game on the couch in his undies" model.:tooth:
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    So really, the 41 is what they should be calling the "Victory" model. This thing would be more of of a "Watched the game on the couch in his undies" model.:tooth:

    Not really. The 41 is essentially a custom pistol built. A lot of the new ones come out of the company's Performance Center. But, it essentially a 60 year old design.

    In contrast, the Victory was built to be the pistol equivalent of the Ruger 10/22. If it takes off, there will be lots of aftermarket and OEM upgrades/versions available in all price ranges.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    It's a 60 year old design. You say that likes it's a bad thing. Hell, the 1911 is over a hundred year design....

    I got distracted by my kids and failed to finish the thought. Old designs like the 41 and 1911 have enormous performance potential, but they weren't designed to take advantage of modern production capabilities. As a result, topline performance often comes with tight tolerances created by a lot of hand fitting and at great cost.

    Can a $400 Victory outshoot a $1400 a Model 41? I doubt it.

    But, even if a Model 41 could be built for $400 (which I doubt), I doubt it could shoot anywhere close to a $400 Victory. It would probably need to be made in China with questionable parts and generous tolerances.

    Btw - someday, we may get to see how a Victory with $1000 of upgrades/custom tuning does against a $1400 Model 41 #interesting.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    How's the trigger compared to the Ruger?
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Damn you guys ... now my kid wants one to use with a can. I told him when the factory threaded barrel in available ... AND I think I have to get a second rimfire can also :bang:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    How's the trigger compared to the Ruger?

    Ok (similar to the Ruger's), but nothing special. I think it would benefit from a good trigger job. But, for my use, it is fine.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Similar to a stock ruger trigger? For under 100 bucks you can make a MKIII series trigger pretty darn good. New VQ sear, bushing and trigger assy and it don't get much better. You can't eliminate all the pre-travel but 90% of it. And it will be a 3lb trigger instead of 7.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,404 Senior Member
    Got out with my Victory again.

    1) I finally had some malfunctions. All of them were cause by the same thing. If you rush the loading, it is possible for them to feed "nose up" causing a jam. Once I figured out the problem, the malfunctions stopped completely.

    When the problem started, I was using one of these. With a little more patience, the $6 item worked fine.

    2) I am really loving the trigger. It seems to have improved with use. Indeed, the trigger is making me hate the Ruger's trigger to the point that there is a decent chance I sell the Ruger rather than stick it in the safe.

    3) It is more accurate than my vision. At 25 yards, I decided that I needed an optic with a fine dot to really take advantage of it.



    4) Next issue, I want to find a nice holster and some extra mags.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    The trigger really is great for a factory setup. Thanks for noting the cause of your issues in case they pop up in my gun.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,808 Senior Member
    This gun keeps getting me more and more interested.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement