Home Main Category General Firearms

Anybody own a Savage .22

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I like this one.....for my new scope, of course.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/4/30/savage-mark-ii-fv-sr/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Looks like it's tailor made for bench rest :popcorn:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    I have a Savage .22LR. It is my dedicated back yard squirrel control rig. Very accurate with Rem subsonic ammo. Mine is the Mark II heavy barrel.

In my opinion Savage builds the best out of the box .22 rifle under $350. Mine was closer to $250. Of course the scope was closer to $600.

3ab77fc5c446cb8370d6ab64dd198d96.jpg
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Chief, you got the scope ... you got the can to go on that? If not start the paperwork before the new NFA stuff starts with fingerprints and such.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    No can and no plans for one really.

I think it weighs only 5 1/2 pounds sans scope. I'd have to shoulder one and see, but most likely will get a Savage of some flavor. I like the one I linked to, but they have plenty other models too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have a .22lr and a .22 mag. Both are sporter barrels and came in plastic stocks. The factory triggers feel like you are dragging a garbage truck with flat tires down a wet gravel road. If you have the patience to work with the tigger they shoot great, really great. Way better than the $140 and $160 I paid for them.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    I've got a Savage 93GL in .22 mag that shoots lights out with the light, fast stuff. It was well under $200 out the door, but I added $100 or so to put a RifleBasix trigger on it set at 1lb. An adjustable-objective rimfire scope is a big help for a gun like this when you plan to hunt with the thing an have a fixed max range for which you can set it up. Thick woods and small fields come to mind.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,591 Senior Member
    I have that .22. It's crazy accurate. I destroyed Chris's black powder boom target at the shoot, with it. Shot the bolts off.
    My 15 y.o. nephew puts about 90/100 on a 8" steel at 100 yards with it.
    NN wrote: »
    3B

Dang Ned, I didn't know Savage made a Flintlock .22 in yer childhood :jester:

Those old rifles are cool beans fer sure :applause: :applause: :guns: :guns:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    I have a mark II with a heavy barrel and accutrigger. I like it but have had a lot of trouble with it not feeding. I have tried 4 different mags and I really need to contact savage to see if they can fix it. It is a shooter.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Here's my Savage .22:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a Model 29A takedown pump with a tubular magazine. (Not the actual picture- - - -mine needs a lot of TLC!)
    Jerry
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Eli has one. I shot it quite a bit last year at Jerrys. Shot damn good.

Well, you doofus.....shot damn well. :wink:

Here's CPJ's 50yd group from last year.
    se%202015%20052.jpg

Sad thing is.....CPJ is still the only one who's put any rounds through this rifle.

fvsr2.jpg
    fvsr3.jpg
    fvsr1.jpg
    Eli wrote: »

se%202015%20052.jpg

Sad thing is.....CPJ is still the only one who's put any rounds through this rifle.

fvsr2.jpg
    fvsr3.jpg
    fvsr1.jpg

You should send it to me. I will give it a proper loving home with regular outings to wage war on little green army men.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Nice rig Eli.

So what is the general consensus on here the Savage or the Ruger American for best accuracy/trigger outta the box? Bang fer the buck?

I kinda like the rotary 10/22 mag and iron sights on the Ruger and the stock inserts, but the Savage looks to be a tack driver?

I see RK has the Ruger American fer $279.
    Hey Teach, the old man had a pump .22 mag in the 60s that was a hoot to shoot. Did they make a Savage pump in .22 mag? It may have been a Savage.
    RK also has (had outta stock) the Ruger Talo with Burl wood stock and I assume the inserts too? $318

http://www.rkguns.com/ruger-american-rifle-22-lr-talo-exclusive-rifle-8327-rug.html
    I know a feller that claims to shoot pop cans at 200 yards with a Ruger American.22 LR. There is a super simple way to do a trigger for free and not mess with the warranty either.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I know a feller that claims to shoot pop cans at 200 yards with a Ruger American.22 LR. There is a super simple way to do a trigger for free and not mess with the warranty either.

What is that? A drop in?
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,406 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Here's my Savage .22:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a Model 29A takedown pump with a tubular magazine. (Not the actual picture- - - -mine needs a lot of TLC!)
    Jerry

Now that is a rifle. ��
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    Eli that is SWEET
    Bringing it this year?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Good comparison/overall view here.................between the Savage and Ruger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsascbSRK20

And a shoot-out using various ammo and suppressors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNC2TVFMxk&feature=iv&src_vid=VsascbSRK20&annotation_id=annotation_3768622957
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    This is mine.....Burris 3x9 rim fire scope

22001.jpg
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Wow here is good price on a Ruger American $219, but after S&H and and LGS fee for ordering it and all .............puts it close to the RK price.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/22lr-american-22-bl-syn.html?utm_source=CDNN+Sports+Email+Specials+List&utm_campaign=61e7a29642-CDNN+Special+2-29-16+Guns&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7a83adbc4c-61e7a29642-19512893#.VtRnxeY2ffc
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

se%202015%20052.jpg

fvsr3.jpg

If I would have noticed it, I would have loved to shoot it. If you don't mind bringing it again, I'd love to rock that thing.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    I got a Model 64 that I used to use on the raccoons and possums that got in the barn, and a skinny barrel Mark II that I picked up at Wally World for $140 a couple years ago. Pretty good shooters, though they haven't seen much use lately, what with the scarcity of 22lr.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    toymachine wrote: »
    I got a Model 64 that I used to use on the raccoons and possums that got in the barn, and a skinny barrel Mark II that I picked up at Wally World for $140 a couple years ago. Pretty good shooters, though they haven't seen much use lately, what with the scarcity of 22lr.

Winchester 555 packs in stock at Midway as I type this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900829351/winchester-ammunition-22-long-rifle-36-grain-plated-lead-hollow-point

It's a one box limit and the shipping sucks if you're getting just that by itself, but if you need a few more things, it works out ok.
    Is the about double price for a CZ over the Savage and the Ruger really worth it in accuracy and so forth. I know it is more of a heirloom rifle and mighty purty, but what say you?
    Dollar for dollar, no. You will not get double the accuracy for double the price by going with a CZ over a Savage. Like most things, the Law of Diminishing Returns starts to apply pretty rapidly once you go past a certain pricepoint. That said, the fit and finish on a CZ are very good and bottom line accuracy can be significantly better. That said, rimfire rifles like to break that last rule regularly. I have that sub-$200 Savage .22 mag that will print touching holes at 50 yards with fairly cheap, Winchester HV ammo.