Home Main Category General Firearms

How much clearance does a suppressor need?

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
How big does the hole in a suppressor need to be to avoid contact with the bullet as it passes through? I assume that the closer the tolerance is, the better, but what's a good rule of thumb? Before I jump through all the hoops for the feds and submit a design, getting some guidance from more experienced folks might be a good thing!
Jerry

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    How big does the hole in a suppressor need to be to avoid contact with the bullet as it passes through? I assume that the closer the tolerance is, the better, but what's a good rule of thumb? Before I jump through all the hoops for the feds and submit a design, getting some guidance from more experienced folks might be a good thing!
    Jerry

Well, the exit hole of my Griffin Armament RSTA (.30) is 0.358". I would imagine the baffle bores are slightly tighter. Most muzzle brake baffles are about .030" over barrel bore diameter.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    There are forums dedicated to such topics. I think some even have some plans.

Google it. Plenty.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,861 Senior Member
    I tried a .30 suppressor on a .22 rifle, thinking I had a super-quiet rifle. What a disappointment. Little to no suppression. I thought there was something wrong with the suppressor until I used it on a .300 BO. Very quiet there.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Some of the info I've found looks like there's anywhere from .030" to .050" clearance, which would be 1/32" to almost 1/16"- - - -pretty close!
    Jerry
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Some of the info I've found looks like there's anywhere from .030" to .050" clearance, which would be 1/32" to almost 1/16"- - - -pretty close!
    Jerry

If the suppressor is mounted forward of the barrel I believe you have to allow more tolerance due to the possibility of it getting knocked or bent slightly.

An 'over the barrel suppressor' will screw in from the muzzle end and have a bush that needs to be drilled out to the barrel thickness on the end closer to the action. The bush is normally tight fitting and supports the 'floating' end of the suppressor. Because it doesn't allow any 'wiggle' movement of the suppressor, the tolerance can be smaller.
    That's my understanding..................but I could be wrong.

Edited to add: I will measure the two .22 suppressors tonight ( one is an over the barrel, the other hangs off the end) and see what the difference is...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Jerry

I can't say for sure, but the exit hole on my new Silencerco Sparrow 22 is pretty freaking tight to bullet diameter, at least to my eye. Hence why it's absolutely critical to make sure that sucker is threaded all the way one to avoid a catastrophic baffle strike. You are correct, too, in that the tighter the tolerance, the better the performance by virtue of less blow-by.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.