Home Main Category General Firearms

Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory: I blame Uncle Fester for this one

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,152 Senior Member
Well, you all know how it starts. On an ordinary trip the range, I say to the fellow working the sales floor, "Hey there [fellow who works the sales floor], some guy on a forum that I visit once in a while - not too terribly often - just got one of those SW22 Victory pistols. I must say that his thread got me interested." Sure enough, he had one on the floor ready to go.

The gun fund is well in the black lately after moving some safe queens out for better than expected returns. As soon as I felt how awesome the Victory balanced and got to pull the trigger on a snap cap, it was over.

"Box it up. I'll wait for a lane until the background check comes through and I can shoot it."

IMG_2632%20resized_zpsbrtumpnm.jpg

Yeah. It didn't disappoint. At 15 feet, 5 shots with Federal Auto Match bulk pack...

SW22%20Victory%20pistol%20-%2015%20foot%20target_zpsmjjnsa4m.jpg

I also tried it with some Blazer, and subsonic Eley and Fiocchi stuff that I bought for my suppressor. It did pretty well, even with the subsonic until the very end when the grit started getting thick. Combined with the light charge and being run with only the light factory lubing on the mating surfaces, I had a few FTEs. But, the accuracy...yeah, it's a keeper.

Now I'm going to start stashing cash for one of those beautiful and suppressor-friendly Volquartsen carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like the looks of them. You suck.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,815 Senior Member
    I am interested. Not interested enough to ditch my 22/45, but interested b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Don't know how easy it is to find up there but in my semiautos running a suppressor I found the American Eagle 45gr stuff works nicely. It is copper plated and actually burns pretty clean so the can easier to clean after using. The energy is enough to cycle everything I have except for .22lr conversion (but they only like MiniMags period).
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member

The back half of this story that I left out of the OP is that this gun was in the case with the other gun I had been considering: a Ruger 22/45 Lite. The Ruger is attractive because it comes threaded and ready to go. But the trigger on the 22/45 Lite, for whatever reason, is remarkably heavier than what I expected. I don't know why Ruger did this. Bear in mind that my comparison point is a MkII that I bought back in the 2003/2004 timeframe (just before the MkIII was introduced) that has an excellent factory trigger.

Side by side, the trigger on the SW22 Victory was much lighter, albeit still slightly heavier than my MkII, and an adjustable overtravel. The sucky part is that I won't be ready to go for a suppressor with it for quite some time between gathering the funds for the Volquartsen threaded barrel and the fact that they are already well-backordered.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    Very nice. If .22 ammo ever makes it back on the shelf out here I would consider adding one to the stable.

Sako
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,270 Senior Member

Uhhhh... Get the S/W and keep the Ruger. Duh!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,407 Senior Member
    Enjoy.

Today, I was trying to figure out how I could make one of those Carbon Fiber barrels Legal in The Fascist State.

So far: ideas
    1) epoxy the thread protector to the threads; or
    2) call volquartzen and convince them to pull one out of assembly before the threads were added.

Because a Pistol (with a threaded barrel) but no Surpressor is an Assault Weapon.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    3: Move to America!

Jerry
    Teach wrote: »

Jerry

You ain't right :tooth:

Seriously, I feel bad for all of you guys who have had to suffer through that non-sense for even a moment. My blood boils a little more each time Uncle Fester mentions that backflips he would have to endure simply to own a metal freaking tube with what amounts to pipe threading on it.
    Teach wrote: »

Jerry

I can't wait to move back to Texas.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Once it breaks in it'll cycle like a Wyoming windmill.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    I like the looks of them. You suck.

Thanks and I agree wholeheartedly. I don't get the noted distaste for the look at all. Not only does it look good, the feel is just awesome. Plenty of heft, which is great for maintaining sight picture.
    early wrote: »
    Once it breaks in it'll cycle like a Wyoming windmill.

Great to hear it. I optimistic that just cleaning and getting a proper lube on it is going to make a big difference in how long it will go without a hiccup.
    cpj wrote: »
    Hmmmm.
    If only you knew a gunsmith, say one in Colorado, who could EASILY thread that factory barrel for you.
    Or I suppose you could just wait and pay a good portion as much for a barrel as you did for the gun, one that unless scoped and benched you'd never realize the accuracy of, if at all.

Bring that to Jerrys, you will.

I could've simply spent $20 more and had them order me the factory threaded version...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_846573_-1_804153_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

...but that defeats the point of why I want the Volquartsen.

The factory barrel, as is, is well balanced and just heavy enough to be useful without being overly front-heavy. Throw a 6.5 oz. stainless steel suppressor on there, and now it's exactly that.

The Volquartsen barrel weighs a svelte 7.5 oz and will do a good bit to make the total package handle close to how it would without the added suppressor weight. Not to mention, it's a Volquartsen. It's gonna shoot great.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Those are really growing on my.
    I think once you feel the trigger, it will really grow on you. No, it's not a true target trigger with an insanely light pull weight, but it's a very good factory setup with 2-stage uptake/crisp break sequencing that will get our attention. You, cpj and anyone else who cares to will get a chance to see how it feels at the SE shoot, if not sooner.

Oh, and I didn't realize it until last night: this is my first-ever S&W semi-auto pistol. Milestone moment, eh?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I can't wait to move back to Texas.

Whatever makes some of you folks stray away from the fold like that I just don't know. ER well I have been known to leave it from time to time, but I have this homing device within me. And I've even been known to bring back a Foreigner or two with me. But hell, when they get here they almost instantly become Texicanified and fall in love with the place.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Some people like the looks of Rosie O'Donnell. Ted Danson married Woopie Goldberg. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But those guns are ugly. Glad it shoots well for you. I'm sure it feels well in the hand too. S&W will sell a million of them, but a man shouldn't have to shoot an ugly gun. :)
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Sorry, Dan - this girl HAWT...and she performs where it matters....on the sheet :love:

(o' paper; get your mind out of the gutter)
    snake284 wrote: »
    Whatever makes some of you folks stray away from the fold like that I just don't know. ER well I have been known to leave it from time to time, but I have this homing device within me. And I've even been known to bring back a Foreigner or two with me. But hell, when they get here they almost instantly become Texicanified and fall in love with the place.

Answer: I met a gorgeous woman willing to overlook my many faults. Thus, I do what she tells me to. ��

Until recently, her elderly mom was keeping here. I figure 3-5 years max to make the move.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,145 Senior Member
    How does the Victory compare to the 2A?
    Without a side by side comparison it kind of looks like a 22A without the rail.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    How does the Victory compare to the 2A?
    Without a side by side comparison it kind of looks like a 22A without the rail.

I have never shot a 22A that I can recall, but the big difference I spot right off the bat is the optional/included rail on the Victory does not extend the length of the barrel. Also, the main thing about the Victory that was "baked into" the design is the modularity of the barrel, grip panels and sights, along with the simplified 1-screw takedown process.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,145 Senior Member
    Modularity (good word) with a precise fit would be a win win in almost any design. I like my 22A, but do believe I will like the Victory more.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Well, you all know how it starts. On an ordinary trip the range, I say to the fellow working the sales floor, "Hey there [fellow who works the sales floor], some guy on a forum that I visit once in a while - not too terribly often - just got one of those SW22 Victory pistols. I must say that his thread got me interested." Sure enough, he had one on the floor ready to go.

The gun fund is well in the black lately after moving some safe queens out for better than expected returns. As soon as I felt how awesome the Victory balanced and got to pull the trigger on a snap cap, it was over.

"Box it up. I'll wait for a lane until the background check comes through and I can shoot it."

IMG_2632%20resized_zpsbrtumpnm.jpg

Yeah. It didn't disappoint. At 15 feet, 5 shots with Federal Auto Match bulk pack...

SW22%20Victory%20pistol%20-%2015%20foot%20target_zpsmjjnsa4m.jpg

I also tried it with some Blazer, and subsonic Eley and Fiocchi stuff that I bought for my suppressor. It did pretty well, even with the subsonic until the very end when the grit started getting thick. Combined with the light charge and being run with only the light factory lubing on the mating surfaces, I had a few FTEs. But, the accuracy...yeah, it's a keeper.

Now I'm going to start stashing cash for one of those beautiful and suppressor-friendly Volquartsen carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

I hope that S&W didn't "Remington" their first production run. If I decoded the Serial Number correctly, mine was number well below 1000.
    I hope that S&W didn't "Remington" their first production run. If I decoded the Serial Number correctly, mine was number well below 1000.

Were you having issue with yours?
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Were you having issue with yours?

Other than leaving the mags at home during a range trip, no problems at all.

I just never expected to have a 3 digit serial number on a mass produced gun.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, Congrats. I'll bet that sucker will shoot off a bench rest of some kind like there ain't no tomorrow.

They may of bridged the gap in an affordable .22 semi-autos that will shoot darn good , but don't go for an arm and leg like the model 41. :guns::guns::guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!