CCW

JeffnBamaJeffnBama MemberPosts: 204 Member
After waiting two months received notice my CCW is approved.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,065 Senior Member
    Cool!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Congratulations!

Now go ahead an put your bullet in your gun. :jester:
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    I thought the new law in AL said they had to do it in 30 days.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JeffnBamaJeffnBama Member Posts: 204 Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I thought the new law in AL said they had to do it in 30 days.
    guess they had huge back log on applications, whenever a News story on Gun Control there is a rise in Gun Sales and CCW Apps.
    They've been using that same excuse for years. They only have 2-3 women for the whole county plus they are civil servants so they get every holiday know to man. The sheriffs in this state are raking in the bucks on permits. That's why they oppose any bill that gives rights back to us citizens, like doing away with permits altogether.

Think about it. There like 600,000 people in madison county. if only 10% get permits, it's actually more like 12 or 13, that would be 60,000 times 10 bucks a yr. Thats 600K in the sheriffs pocket per yr. Take out maybe 100K for those womens salary and he has a half a mil play money.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    Welcome to the club....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    They've been using that same excuse for years. They only have 2-3 women for the whole county plus they are civil servants so they get every holiday know to man. The sheriffs in this state are raking in the bucks on permits. That's why they oppose any bill that gives rights back to us citizens, like doing away with permits altogether.

Think about it. There like 600,000 people in madison county. if only 10% get permits, it's actually more like 12 or 13, that would be 60,000 times 10 bucks a yr. Thats 600K in the sheriffs pocket per yr. Take out maybe 100K for those womens salary and he has a half a mil play money.
    Radio host Jim Moore made a similar comment , you shouldn't have to pay for your Right to Bear Arms
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,539 Senior Member
    I just renewed my Florida permit for 60.00 but it's good for seven years. By now there are around 1.5 million carry permits issued in Florida and that equates to a big chunk of change.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    CPL/CCW permits were seen as a cash cow early on in a lot of places...why do you think the bills passed in the first place? There are almost a half million Michigan permits at somewhere between 100 and 120 per permit (the price went down in December)...the Sheriff gets 15 bucks a head for fingerprints and the going price for the class is $100.00...there's a lot of money being made in the interests of folks who choose to protect themselves. It cost my wife and I nearly $500 bucks to get our Michigan permits...again. Lets see...500 bucks the first time, 350 for the first renewal, 450 wrapped up in a Kansas permit and another $500 when we moved back to MI...and might I add...we had valid Kansas permits...a state with which MI has reciprocity...seems to me that we should have been able to trade our KS permits for a MI permit...but then I'm not a lawmaker...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Bought a Ankle Holster today
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member
    Give us a 30 day range report on that ankle holster, hey.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    JeffnBama wrote: »

Hope you never have an Ankle holster dump out your gun like I did once, in front of a bunch of NYPD Detectives that never let me forget, they really enjoyed it, lots of :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: :roll2::roll2::roll2:

I tried to make the stairs at a Precinct house at a brisk trot, gun went snickity per snickety
    ....snickity snickety........

The ankle holster in question was a purchased NIB Bianchi rig too.

I scratched up a nice S&W snubby 36 too.

Try not to walk funny with an Ankle holster, try not to print, or expose your gun, OK, If you are a LEO, maybe not so much as a regular CCW.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,037 Senior Member

The sheriffs (sic) don't get a cent from CCW. That money goes in the county fund. The cost for taking a electronic or a manual set of prints and then sending them off and a background check incurs expense that has to be paid for by someone, presumably by the applicant. Nothing is free with the system that requires a license. The 2-3 people in Probate Court (where I'm from) do a whole lot more than process CCW forms. They're now over-whelmed by the increased number of applicants in addition to their other duties.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

About one second quicker than leaving it locked in your car. Not a quick-draw situation and they broadcast unless they're there to anyone with observation powers. Not trying to diss your choices but you need to figure access time. "Excuse me, Armed Robber, but my ankle is itching...mind if I scratch?"
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    About one second quicker than leaving it locked in your car. Not a quick-draw situation and they broadcast unless they're there to anyone with observation powers. Not trying to diss your choices but you need to figure access time. "Excuse me, Armed Robber, but my ankle is itching...mind if I scratch?"
    Thanks for the advise , ankle holster and side holster with a clip is for slim M&P. I keep a .38 snub in truck console or tuck in side of the front seat in a holster.
    The sheriffs (sic) don't get a cent from CCW. That money goes in the county fund. The cost for taking a electronic or a manual set of prints and then sending them off and a background check incurs expense that has to be paid for by someone, presumably by the applicant. Nothing is free with the system that requires a license. The 2-3 people in Probate Court (where I'm from) do a whole lot more than process CCW forms. They're now over-whelmed by the increased number of applicants in addition to their other duties.

Maybe in GA but not in AL. They don't even do prints here. The money goes into the sheriffs budget. Each county sheriff sets the fees for his county. The sheriffs here even control the money for the county jail. They save money on food, goes into his pocket. One sheriff fed his prisoners on like 1.50 a day and it was a big deal for a while. Corndogs 7 days a week. He used the savings for the rest of his budget.

Thanks for the advise , ankle holster and side holster with a clip is for slim M&P. I keep a .38 snub in truck console or tuck in side of the front seat in a holster.

Please don't get mad, however consider if you leave a gun in your Truck unsecured, you may end up arming a smash and grab theif, some addicts will do that for some small change.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Please don't get mad, however consider if you leave a gun in your Truck unsecured, you may end up arming a smash and grab theif, some addicts will do that for some small change.
    . I ain't mad thanks for the concern
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,017 Senior Member
    Radio host Jim Moore made a similar comment , you shouldn't have to pay for your Right to Bear Arms
    Amen to that!
    Just as you do not pay to vote, but you hold your nose and pay, otherwise, no CCW.
    Maybe in GA but not in AL. They don't even do prints here. The money goes into the sheriffs budget. Each county sheriff sets the fees for his county. The sheriffs here even control the money for the county jail. They save money on food, goes into his pocket. One sheriff fed his prisoners on like 1.50 a day and it was a big deal for a while. Corndogs 7 days a week. He used the savings for the rest of his budget.

Are you sure, BAMAAK? In GA, the sheriff is responsible for the jail. Having been a chief deputy for 13 years, the jail is a money loser. Nothing you can do to make it pay for itself. It's housing and feeding, and no income coming in. There is always a move to save taxpayer money, but the sheriff's salary is by state law. A fingerprint machine costs thousands of dollars, as does the hardware/software to run the system. None of this comes out of any individual's pocket, and none of it is put into anyone's pocket. If a sheriff is putting money for fingerprints or jail food into his pocket, he's corrupt. The FBI has a special unit to deal with corrupt elected officials.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Are you sure, BAMAAK? In GA, the sheriff is responsible for the jail. Having been a chief deputy for 13 years, the jail is a money loser. Nothing you can do to make it pay for itself. It's housing and feeding, and no income coming in. There is always a move to save taxpayer money, but the sheriff's salary is by state law. A fingerprint machine costs thousands of dollars, as does the hardware/software to run the system. None of this comes out of any individual's pocket, and none of it is put into anyone's pocket. If a sheriff is putting money for fingerprints or jail food into his pocket, he's corrupt. The FBI has a special unit to deal with corrupt elected officials.

I didn't mean his pocket literally. He has a budget for feeding prisoners and whatever he does not spend, goes into his budget for for the dept. Same with the CCL money, it's his to spend on the dept. and no they don't do finger prints here.

I know one thing, the income from CCW goes into some part of the budget, and lots of places that were defacto may issue became solid shall issue when they realized people were going to adjacent jurisdictions and paying LE scalpers to apply for CCW in those jurisdictions.

Running those inkless fingerprint scanners pays for themselves, they work for other fingerprint related tasks and are relatively inexpensive, when you count the time and mess eliminated over the traditional ink pad method.