training

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,411 Senior Member
I came to owning firearms late in life but I now have a ccl. I would love to take a training course but the cost and travel to go to a big name one makes it difficult and I don't know where to find a local one that is any good. Is there someplace online that is good or how do you find someone local that really knows and not just takes your money? At my age I am never going to be a guy that can do courses where you run all over and jump on the ground but proper training would still help me decide when and how. Any thoughts?

Replies

• tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I can not tell you how to find a good instructor, but I can tell you there are a plethora of bad "instructors"out there. Be careful who you choose. Some of our own are very competent and have posted about grip, sight picture, recoil management, and trigger control(prep/reset). Chew the fat and spit out the bones when it comes to defensive/offensive/tactical pistol advice. Sorry it is not much help.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    NRA's website is a good start for finding something local, but it's not a guarantee that you'll find a really good instructor. If reviews of the course and/or instructor are available, I would encourage you to read them thoroughly to get a good picture of who and what you can expect. Also, local law enforcement may be a good resource.

http://training.nra.org/
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Youtube Rob Letham or any of the other well known competitors. They are good and have some decent instructional videos in relation to shooting well and shooting fast. That is your base. Once you shoot well and shoot fast...........you can learn the application to daily life.

Fundamentals!!!!!

I learned to shoot the way I do by studying competitive shooters and adapting the concepts and techniques to real world application. Learning "tactics" first and THEN trying to learn to shoot is the wrong way to go about it.

Too many "Tactical Ass-Clowns" out there trying to earn a buck teaching jerky motions, tactical rolls, and any number of stupid stuff. Beware!

Instructors I trust and have experience with:

Pat McNamara (dude is hilarious to watch and shoot with)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwVXA9J620

Kyle Lamb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZwWyu76KLA

Mike Pannone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeFZM6LwHE

These guys are good and they don't add the stupid BS you see from most yahoo jackholes.

I've been to their courses and don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. I've learned more about shooting and application from these three than any other shooting course I've attended.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    "Fundamentals!!!!!

I learned to shoot the way I do by studying competitive shooters and adapting the concepts and techniques to real world application. Learning "tactics" first and THEN trying to learn to shoot is the wrong way to go about it."

This how I have tried to approach field shooting/hunting.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

That is hilarious.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    Talk about it with Eli the dessert maker.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I came to owning firearms late in life but I now have a ccl. I would love to take a training course but the cost and travel to go to a big name one makes it difficult and I don't know where to find a local one that is any good. Is there someplace online that is good or how do you find someone local that really knows and not just takes your money? At my age I am never going to be a guy that can do courses where you run all over and jump on the ground but proper training would still help me decide when and how. Any thoughts?

While I am an NRA certified handgun instructor, I am in no way qualified to teach self defense, home defense, and you should look for instructors that understand the difference. There isn't any certifying body for this type of education other than the NRA, really.

Personally I have decided what I want to learn, then found good resources for it and practiced on my own. I find the instructors and videos Zee is recommending excellent.

The most practical of skills is clearing your concealed carry piece consistently. Everything starts with getting it into your hand securely. While this sounds over simple, if you carry IWB under a shirt or coat, getting it decent grip and getting it safely out and cleared can be a challenge. It's good practice with an empty gun. If you carry with a safety on like my Makarov, unholstering and releasing the safety at the same time are great skills to have consistently.

IMHO.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I like this guy!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Good stuff!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    This is a drill I use for both rifle and pistol. With a pistol, you can incorporate reloads into the drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oYRn_llgo

If your range allows, I also add running up to the next firing line to the drill and then walking while shooting the last 10. As so:

Buzzer Starts
    Fire 10 rounds from the 20 yrd line.
    Run to the 10 yard line.
    Fire 10 rounds from the 10 yard line.
    Start walking to the 5 yard line and fire 10 rounds while in motion before arriving at the 5 yard line.

Your time is cumulative. Anything outside the "A" zone in a NO-GO!! Hero or Zero. Move as fast as you can accurately shoot. You can't miss fast enough to win.
    Another variation to this "Tripple Threat" drill posted earlier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZwWyu76KLA

Is, once you have mastered the static yard line drill........stagger the targets.

Put one at the 3 yard line, the 5 yard line, and the 7 yard line. Or, whatever combination of distances you want (and can hit)

The purpose is to train your eyes to acquire multiple targets at one distance, then move the gun to another distance, acquire the sights again (eyes move first), and engage multiple points of aim again.

This doesn't mean that I HAVE to shoot a threat in the head/chest/torso (though it can't hurt.........well.......not you, anyway), but it trains your brain to move the gun, acquire the sights, shoot the target, and repeat the action.........multiple times. Sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control. Move. Sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control. Repeat. Over and over and over.

Fundamentals.

Remember. Anything outside the target box............NO GO!! No score. No time. Only hits count.
  • GunnerJackyGunnerJacky New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Look for any NRA certified firearms safety training school in your region. If you were in Boston (Massachusetts) then I would have strongly suggested you . They have best firearms instructors. I'm afraid I can give you any help otherwise.
    Get firearms safety training only from NRA certified schools
  • GunnerJackyGunnerJacky New Member Posts: 19 New Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Since you stated you are an instructor I'm assuming you are associated with the school so I removed the link since that is considered advertising.

Also the OP is referring to training for shooting and SD skills and the NRA only teaches basic safety in their approved Pistol Safety course. Any NRA instructor that is teaching more than that based on their NRA certification with no other training behind him is teaching well ahead of his headlights.

With due respect I would like to say that I didn't know about "advertisement" by posting the link. I did that for a reference only. It is true that I am a gun instructor at Boston Firearms Safety Training School and therefore I thought to share the link of my own school instead of somebody else's. You can remove the link and I'll keep it in mind not to share the links from now on-wards. Thanks! :hug:
    Get firearms safety training only from NRA certified schools
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Do we have anyone on here that is qualified to teach a class like this?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member

Well, I would think you could find a good one there in Kansas. Go to some LGS you know and ask around. They usually keep up with Concealed Carry matters since they sell guns. But be forwarned, even with someone vouching for them you can end up with a less than ideal experience. But if you do, make the most of it. Get the permit and practice and read. You will be fine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    While I am an NRA certified handgun instructor, I am in no way qualified to teach self defense, home defense, and you should look for instructors that understand the difference. There isn't any certifying body for this type of education other than the NRA, really.

Personally I have decided what I want to learn, then found good resources for it and practiced on my own. I find the instructors and videos Zee is recommending excellent.

The most practical of skills is clearing your concealed carry piece consistently. Everything starts with getting it into your hand securely. While this sounds over simple, if you carry IWB under a shirt or coat, getting it decent grip and getting it safely out and cleared can be a challenge. It's good practice with an empty gun. If you carry with a safety on like my Makarov, unholstering and releasing the safety at the same time are great skills to have consistently.

IMHO.

D

I'm not sure how it's handled in other states, but in Texas you cannot get a concealed carry permit without taking the course from a State Certified CCL instructor. It's all handled through the Texas Department of Public Safety (Same as Highway Patrol). They, the State, are pretty Anal about the process so here you will usually get a passable if not excellent instructor. I said Usually, and what I said in my other post above can pertain. But if you get a bummer of an instructor just bear with it and get the permit. Then read as much as you can, practice your butt off and study Concealed Carry-Self Defense matters every chance you get. Remember, what you learn in these classes can and is likely to save your life should you ever get into a situation where you need to use your firearm for protection.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,411 Senior Member
    I took my ccl class but it is where you can and cannot use it not when you should or shouldn't and how to use it. I have tried to find a course around here but I haven't found anyone that I thought seemed to really know that much. I do watch videos on youtube. I will keep looking for an instructor that I want to take lessons from.