Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Texas festival apologizes after Muslim Olympian told to remove hijab

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
Organizers of the South by Southwest (SXSW) arts festival said on Sunday they apologized to U.S. Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad after a volunteer said she must remove her Muslim headcovering to receive credentials to the event in Austin, Texas.
The Olympic fencer was picking up an identification badge at the interactive, film and music event on Saturday when a volunteer told her she must take off her hijab before her photograph could be taken.
"Even after I explained it was for religious reasons, he insisted I had to remove my hijab," she said on Twitter.
SXSW organizers said on Sunday in an email to Reuters that they have since removed the volunteer for the duration of the event.
"We are embarrassed by this and have apologized to Ibtihaj in person, and sincerely regret this incident," SXSW said in the statement.
Muhammad, 30, will make history in Rio de Janeiro as the first Olympian to represent the United States wearing a hijab. Muhammad has become an outspoken critic of presidential candidate Donald Trump, who called for a ban on Muslims from entering the United States.
"I feel like I owe it to people who look like me to speak out," Muhammad told reporters on Wednesday. "When I hear someone say something like, 'We're going to send Muslims back to their countries,' I say, 'Well, I'm American. Where am I going to go?"
After the incident was resolved at the event, Muhammad said that she was issued the wrong identification.
"I was given the wrong ID! From now on my name is Tamir & I work for Time Warner Inc" she tweeted. (Reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Frank McGurty and Andrew Hay)

My comment:

This is not a big deal to me because of the venue. But is a big deal in the real world.

9 years ago I accompanied my ex-Wife in her credit union. The teller asked me to remove my hat. Of course I did without knowing why. It suddenly dawned on me. Security photos of bank robbers on the news nearly always shows them wearing hats, hoodies, and sometimes sunglasses. When a description of a criminal suspect is given on the news it includes (if known) hair color and length. Although I have never been asked to remove my hat in my bank I have for 9 years left it in the car. I just now checked to be sure. My drivers license, retired military ID, and US passport have hatless photos. If this is such a personal problem Miss Muhammad should immigrate to Saudi Arabia. Drivers license photo? Not allowed to drive. Military ID photo? Not allowed to serve. Passport photo? Not allowed to travel alone. Problem solved.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I don't see any issues with it as long as it doesn't obscure her face.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I don't see any issues with it as long as it doesn't obscure her face.
    It obscures her hair color.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »

Great idea. Women aren't known to change their hair color.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

jesus%20facepalm_zpsjzgjso9e.jpg
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member

Ibtihaj-Muhammad-jpg.jpg

It's Red, White and Blue son.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Great idea. Women aren't known to change their hair color.

Nope. Not at the hairdresser's or at home with an easily acquired DIY kit.

We don't have an entire aisle dedicated to just such a practice either.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    This is an outrage!!! Everyone should boycott SXSW.....

...and get the hell out of my town. These hipster tourists are driving me nuts
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Its a good place for them....

(NOT HERE!!)
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    Its a good place for them....

(NOT HERE!!)

LOL.

I just want to start walking up to them and say "It's 90 degrees today. Black skinny jeans, flannel shirt and a knit scarf are not needed."
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 917 Senior Member
    If this is such a personal problemMiss Muhammad should immigrate to Saudi Arabia. Drivers license photo? Not allowed to drive. Military ID photo? Not allowed to serve. Passport photo? Not allowed to travel alone. Problem solved.

See the bolded bit, it's a personal problem? It's a religious belief. You know freedom of religion etc. all that boring stuff that is before the 2nd amendment, unless you believe that it only applies to WASP's, which some do.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    SxSW doesn't truly represent the Texas mindset. I think this SxSW is a liberal leaning group. They had one guy within them that was concerned about this woman's Identity, as he should have been, and they canned him when he tried to do what he thought was right. Covering the head interupts the profile and can conceal identity to some extentost. Most women from the Middle East are going to have dark hair, so no mystery there but there are other things about the head that the covering hides besides the face. I remember a few years back there was a controversy with this one woman that wanted to take the pictures for her ID with her face covered. Now that would be insane. It's obvious that that shouldn't be permitted. But this with her face exposed I expect won't be condemned by the powers that be. But I do think that if we're required to show our complete head, then they should be too.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Just have women inspectors there to look her over in private and insure she's who her ID says she is. Still not fair to all the rest of us that are required to show our heads.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Organizers of the South by Southwest (SXSW) arts festival said on Sunday they apologized to U.S. Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad after a volunteer said she must remove her Muslim headcovering to receive credentials to the event in Austin, Texas.
    The Olympic fencer was picking up an identification badge at the interactive, film and music event on Saturday when a volunteer told her she must take off her hijab before her photograph could be taken.
    "Even after I explained it was for religious reasons, he insisted I had to remove my hijab," she said on Twitter.
    SXSW organizers said on Sunday in an email to Reuters that they have since removed the volunteer for the duration of the event.
    "We are embarrassed by this and have apologized to Ibtihaj in person, and sincerely regret this incident," SXSW said in the statement.
    Muhammad, 30, will make history in Rio de Janeiro as the first Olympian to represent the United States wearing a hijab. Muhammad has become an outspoken critic of presidential candidate Donald Trump, who called for a ban on Muslims from entering the United States.
    "I feel like I owe it to people who look like me to speak out," Muhammad told reporters on Wednesday. "When I hear someone say something like, 'We're going to send Muslims back to their countries,' I say, 'Well, I'm American. Where am I going to go?"
    After the incident was resolved at the event, Muhammad said that she was issued the wrong identification.
    "I was given the wrong ID! From now on my name is Tamir & I work for Time Warner Inc" she tweeted. (Reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Frank McGurty and Andrew Hay)

My comment:

This is not a big deal to me because of the venue. But is a big deal in the real world.

9 years ago I accompanied my ex-Wife in her credit union. The teller asked me to remove my hat. Of course I did without knowing why. It suddenly dawned on me. Security photos of bank robbers on the news nearly always shows them wearing hats, hoodies, and sometimes sunglasses. When a description of a criminal suspect is given on the news it includes (if known) hair color and length. Although I have never been asked to remove my hat in my bank I have for 9 years left it in the car. I just now checked to be sure. My drivers license, retired military ID, and US passport have hatless photos. If this is such a personal problem Miss Muhammad should immigrate to Saudi Arabia. Drivers license photo? Not allowed to drive. Military ID photo? Not allowed to serve. Passport photo? Not allowed to travel alone. Problem solved.

I'm all for religious freedom, but this another issue. When your religion gets in the way of the Constitution and the safety of others, something needs to give. And it's not the law.
    He face is what is distinguishing. Not her head. By photographing her face, the safety concerns have been addressed.

The hijab is a sign of faith and modesty. It is like asking a Christian woman to take the cross off from around her neck and unbuttoning her blouse a bit more to show some cleavage (you know, so we can identify her better).
    -Thomas Paine
    Is someone going to tell me that this woman is going to be recognized in her passport and driver license photos because of her hair? No. They are going to tell by her face...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lady+gaga&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgtrvH5cDLAhUMNiYKHcWPAfkQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=691
    -Thomas Paine
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'm all for religious freedom, but this another issue. When your religion gets in the way of the Constitution and the safety of others, something needs to give. And it's not the law.

What the hell does the Constitution have to do with her not removing her hijab? As a matter of fact. the Constitution supports her NOT removing it....it's that pesky First Amendment and "Impeding the free exercise of religion" thing.

Another noteworthy thing...As far as Drivers Licensees and IDs are concerned...Texas is one of 7 states that do not view religious headwear as an exception that need to be addressed, but as a normal variation that is recognized and respected.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    What the hell does the Constitution have to do with her not removing her hijab? As a matter of fact. the Constitution supports her NOT removing it....

You missed my point big time. What about the rest of us that have no excuse and have to remove our hats and scarfs?
    You missed my point big time. What about the rest of us that have no excuse and have to remove our hats and scarfs?
    If your religion called for wearing a hat and scarf in public, you would have an excuse.
    -Thomas Paine

If I've ever seen someone making a mountain out of a mole hill....this is it...
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    If I've ever seen someone making a mountain out of a mole hill....this is it...

It's something called equal treatment. Why are muslimes special?
    They aren't. They have the same 1st Amendment and 14th Amendment rights as everyone else. Just like Jews can wear a kippah and Sikhs can wear turbans on theirs.
    -Thomas Paine

They aren't 'special'. The hijab is a requirement of their religion and lack of same is often viewed as an affront to God himself as well as a punishable offense in their custom.

Incidentally, we're talking about an "ID" that is more or less akin to a backstage pass...SXSW can have-or not have-whatever requirements they deem necessary. And, enforce those requirements as they see fit.
    George Carlin
    "They won't let me wear my cowboy hat for my drivers license picture!...Help Help I'm being repressed!"
    :spittingcoffee::roll2:
    George Carlin
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    Bullshtuffarian?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    "They won't let me wear my cowboy hat for my drivers license picture!...Help Help I'm being repressed!"

And that's the point. They won't let us do that, but if you're Muslim it's ok. You've hear of equal treatment
    of the law?

Exactly and I don't care if their religion says different. If the law says that I need to take my hat off for an ID picture and I say my religion says I have to wear my cowboy hat all the time in public it's the same thing. But just see how far you or I get. Everybody else's religion has to go by the law. Why not theirs?
    And that's the point. They won't let us do that, but if you're Muslim it's ok. You've hear of equal treatment
    of the law?

Equal is not fair, fair is not equal. Two different things. Treating everybody equally means we could all be required to wear a hijab for pictures. Treating everybody fairly takes our differences into account, realizing that there WILL BE differences...

It's actually a pretty simple concept.
    George Carlin
    of the law?

Start up a church that requires cowboy hats and you can wear that sucker til the cows come home....This isn't just abut Muslims...do you get equally wound up about Jews and Sikhs? they get to wear hats too...
    Start up a church that requires cowboy hats and you can wear that sucker til the cows come home....This isn't just abut Muslims...do you get equally wound up about Jews and Sikhs? they get to wear hats too...

Oh yeah? If the law requires you to remove your hat when you get an ID pic taken see how that works?