Home Main Category Hunting

Custom Rifles

apb290apb290 New MemberPosts: 24 New Member
I am looking to buy a new rifle to start big game hunting which I will be doing every other year. My first trip will be in NM for Elk putting in for draw this year. I want to hunt elk,rams,bear, etc and will be hunting white tail every year. I am been looking at 7mm stw and 30-06 and 300 win. I keep leaning towards the 300 win. I have been looking at several companies such as Mcmillian their new g32, Moa rifles, and Jarrett rifles. Looking at x5 Swar scope open to others. There is not a lot of online information i can find on the Mcmillan g32 but I have called and do like what I heard from them. My question anyone have any opinions of caliber and manufacturer to go with? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,957 Senior Member
    Where you from? How much hunting and shooting experience do you have? Are you familiar with the recoil associated with the cartridges you mentioned? Do you handload? Do you own any similar firearms or any at all?

Any of the chamberings you mentioned would work for any of the hooved species you mentioned. As to the bear......which species?

I'm curious as to your communication skills. Do you type much?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Hoping I'm wrong and this isn't a spam fishing endeavor.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Hoping I'm wrong and this isn't a spam fishing endeavor.

Here we go again
    Asking where I've been
    You can't see these tears are real
    I'm crying

We can't go on together
    With suspicious minds
    And we can't build our dreams
    On suspicious minds
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,229 Senior Member
    Where you from? How much hunting and shooting experience do you have? Are you familiar with the recoil associated with the cartridges you mentioned? Do you handload? Do you own any similar firearms or any at all?

Ditto
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,864 Senior Member
    No experience with any of those rifles, but I can say that for what you are looking to hunt, a .30-06 will do what you need. While the other rounds can go faster and further, the -06 will do what you need.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I've never shot a custom rifle but I've hunted elk.

Something mechanically reliable that's not too heavy say under 9 pounds loaded that can shoot 1 to 2 moa, offers some weather resistance and can put down an elk without causing a flinch.

Good glass is money well spent, but it dosent have to break the bank. Regular name brands can be had for two to three hundred dollars or less.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,011 Senior Member
    Since it appears your new to big game hunting, I would suggest any stock rifle (Win., Rem, Savage, Ruger, etc) in -06 caliber, with a good midrange Burris or Leupold scope. if your bound and determined to have a custom rifle, my choice would be one of Kenny Jarrett's. JMPO

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Unless you're a masochist who loves recoil and muzzle blast, and/or someone who thinks spending money by the wheelbarrow full is necessary to be a successful hunter, buy a synthetic-stocked Remington 700 in .30-06, put a 3 X 9 Leupold scope on it, and sally forth. The game won't get any deader when you hit it with a bullet fired from a mega-magnum from one of the custom rifle builders.
    Jerry
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,073 Senior Member
    If you're really going to HUNT, forget wood, and forget blued steel. I like a classic- looking rig as much as the next guy, but my hunting experience got a lot better once I was able to reject the little voice in my head that says "if you stay out in this rain/snow, you're going to have to completely disassemble this rifle and wipe it down". You can also the largely disregard the other voice that says "don't rest it on this / drag it against that"

As to "custom", if you put it in terms of asking what a stock, or slightly modified off the shelf rifle won't do for you, the answer in most cases is "not much". Nothing wrong in treating yourself well with nice toys, but in hunting (as opposed to competitive target work), the Camry usually gets you down the freeway just as well as the Maserati. I roll with a Remington 700 XCR-II, which solves all the weather & accuracy problems I'm ever going to encounter.

I'm a .30-06 fan, but it sounds like you'll be hunting stuff that can legitimately require a lot of range. IF you have the knowledge & skill to take those shots, and IF you are capable of managing the recoil, the big .30 magnums make sense - though they're a bit overkill for whitetail and certainly aren't fun to spend a morning at the bench with. Nor are there any cheap options for practice ammo short of loading your own.

Optics: Fixed powers are good in that they are simple, but they are limiting in those longer range situations you seem to be headed for. My stock recommendation for a big caliber plains or mountain rifle will be a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm - preferably with a CDS elevation knob custom ordered to match your load. Considerably more versatile than a fixed - but otherwise excellent - Swarovski.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Since you are new to big game hunting, you may want to get yourself prepared to shoot a rifle under pressure in field conditions.
    I would rather see a newbie go out with a sufficient rifle for the task, and spend the money on learning how to use it.
    There are a number of shooting schools, that emphasize hunting situations. That money would be well spent.
    Then, if you still have the funds and want to treat yourself to a custom rifle, then by all means do so.

You cannot buy your way into skill-set (Rifles/Optics/LRF's, etc...).

It is a systems approach, and the gear is just a part of that.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • apb290apb290 New Member Posts: 24 New Member
    Thanks for everyone's opinion. To answer a few questions I live in Kentucky born and raised in Michigan. I am 34 years old and have been hunting sense I was 14. I should clarify this will be my first big game hunt with this new rifle. I went on a moose hunting trip a couple years ago. I previously had a Sako 30-06 however it was stole from movers I hired. I still have a 308 that I will use Deer hunting. I never plan on handloading. I am familiar with all the calibers listed and very aware of the recoil of them all. If I went with the 300 or the 7mm STW I would have a muzzle break on it. I am very interested in hearing from people that have experienced shooting a custom gun and their opinions of it? Also if anyone has experience using the new Swarovski x5 scope? I am not trying to buy into skill I am no pro and never will do competitions. I am a hunter and want a gun that I can enjoy and trust in taking a shot out to 500 yards and one that I can pass down to my son when the time comes.
    Thank you for clarifying some things. As it was not clear from your first post. Welcome to the forum.
    I have no experience with the Swaro scope.
    Another custom builder I would consider is http://www.longrangehunting.com/rifles/
    I will be getting a 28 Nosler from him within a couple of weeks. Not suggesting this cartridge for you, but I am excited about its performance.
    Another builder would be Michael DeLoach (Nine Run Gun). He builds very accurate rifles.
    Do some price checking and I think you will find Michael is one of the best buys out there.
    Once people get to know the type of work Michael does for the price, there will be a long waiting line.
    Holland's radial baffle is my favorite brake, and Holland's makes a great hunting rifle too.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks Ernie I will check them both out today. I almost bought the Mcmillan 300 win rifle last Friday and wanted to check out information before spending that type of money. I am happy to have found this forum for some help.
    Good deal. Thanks for the extra information. The vagueness of your original post lead me to believe you might be a poser from a third world country preparing to fish with spam. Being as you are not..........ROCK ON!

You have a .308 Winchester...........which will do just about everything you mentioned already. The others will just do it at a greater distance.

You already have a .30cal, so I would not recommend a .30-06 as it only improves upon what you have by minimal feet per second and a little heavier bullet. Also not a fan of the .300 WM as it too is just a fast .30cal and if I can't do it with a .308 Win..........I need a bigger bullet.

You're not a hand loader.........so nix the 7 STW as price and availability of ammo can oft be problematic.
    The .300 Win gives you a heavier bullet at more velocity than the .308 Win can provide.........but at the cost of excessive recoil and blast (especially with a brake). Not worth it for the game you intend to hunt. Yeah......it works very well. But, you have a .30cal.

My vote would be for a 7mm Remington Mag.

It'll give you the velocity you need and the higher BC to get you efficiently out to 500 yards with better trajectory and external ballistics than any .30cal. Ammo is available. Recoil is less. External ballistics are better. It'll take any of the game you mentioned. And..........it's not a caliber redundant addition with just a little more speed.

As to custom guns..........look for the builder that provides the features you want without compromise...........and save your pennies.
    Not trying to talk you out of a new rifle, especially since it's bound to be a super nice one.

But you might be surprised to read that I've packed out a lot more elk than I ever shot. Most of them were shot by my Dad. With a 308 Winchester.
    I understand I love my 308 and it's what my father took with him on his elk trip and I may use if I draw this year. I want something a bit more in the long run for other game such as Brown Bear.
    Your first post led me to think you were a youngster with no hunting or shooting experience, thanks for clearing that up

Welcome to the forum.

JAY
    apb290 wrote: »
    I understand I love my 308 and it's what my father took with him on his elk trip and I may use if I draw this year. I want something a bit more in the long run for other game such as Brown Bear.

Then, I recommend a .338 Win Mag.
    From my personal experience with "brownies" start with a 338 Win Mag and go up from there, I used a 340 Wea. Mag.

JAY
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Good deal. Thanks for the extra information. The vagueness of your original post lead me to believe you might be a poser from a third world country preparing to fish with spam. Being as you are not..........ROCK ON!

You have a .308 Winchester...........which will do just about everything you mentioned already. The others will just do it at a greater distance.

You already have a .30cal, so I would not recommend a .30-06 as it only improves upon what you have by minimal feet per second and a little heavier bullet. Also not a fan of the .300 WM as it too is just a fast .30cal and if I can't do it with a .308 Win..........I need a bigger bullet.

You're not a hand loader.........so nix the 7 STW as price and availability of ammo can oft be problematic.
    The .300 Win gives you a heavier bullet at more velocity than the .308 Win can provide.........but at the cost of excessive recoil and blast (especially with a brake). Not worth it for the game you intend to hunt. Yeah......it works very well. But, you have a .30cal.

My vote would be for a 7mm Remington Mag.

It'll give you the velocity you need and the higher BC to get you efficiently out to 500 yards with better trajectory and external ballistics than any .30cal. Ammo is available. Recoil is less. External ballistics are better. It'll take any of the game you mentioned. And..........it's not a caliber redundant addition with just a little more speed.

As to custom guns..........look for the builder that provides the features you want without compromise...........and save your pennies.

I have said this to people more than once, "You hired and expert, listen to his advice. " Zee has hunted with more rifles and hand loaded for more different guns in the past two years than anyone else on this forum. The 7mm Mag will definitely do what you need, however, it isn't a great close range brown bear gun. For an out of the box, easy to hunt with and accurate all weather, inexpensive rifle, I would look at The Savage 116 FCFS, SKU 17801 for $745 at Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky.

vw35lRdZx_xcHyIODC5.png

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14488/Savage+17801+116FCSS+DBM+7MM+REM

Get it threaded for a brake for $200, and spend $400 or so on some glass, $ 200 on a bi pod, and you will have a sub MOA rig, capable of any weather conditions for about $1600 that can shoot farther than you can see or aim.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Also if you have the coin, a Sako would be a definite upgrade for about $435 more.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2702/SAKO+JRMBG70F+A7+BIG+GAME+7MMMG+RGHNCK
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    7RM will easily do elk to 500 as would the 280 Remington.
    There is more factory ammo options for the 7RM though.
    Dangerous game...no experience there. 338WM will surely work though.
    Good friend of mine who used to guide in Alaska for Grizz, typically carried a 375 H&H.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    What are the distances do you typically practice at?
    When practicing, what shooting position do you typically use?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I never hunted brown bear. Once you decide on a cartridge, you might want to compair the cost of ammo.

Also I think the folks selling custom hardware might just recommend a brand and type of ammo according to the use a customer has in mind.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Then, I recommend a .338 Win Mag.

This is what I settled on as a bear gun, though I have not hunted one. The recoil is stout to say the least. A 250gr partition over 75grs of 7828 makes for an exciting bench session. You will know you went shooting the day before. I have also loaded some 215gr sgks. At just under 2900fps I think you can handle the long range stuff as well.
    My thoughts...Get a 7mm or 30 cal for your elk rig out to 500.
    When you are ready for dangerous game, get set-up for that hunt.
    If you are hunting grizzly, with the amount of money it takes to do that, a new rifle made for that should not be a issue.

How do you currently compensate for drop at distance and wind?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    apb290 wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's opinion. To answer a few questions I live in Kentucky born and raised in Michigan. I am 34 years old and have been hunting sense I was 14. I should clarify this will be my first big game hunt with this new rifle. I went on a moose hunting trip a couple years ago. I previously had a Sako 30-06 however it was stole from movers I hired. I still have a 308 that I will use Deer hunting. I never plan on handloading. I am familiar with all the calibers listed and very aware of the recoil of them all. If I went with the 300 or the 7mm STW I would have a muzzle break on it. I am very interested in hearing from people that have experienced shooting a custom gun and their opinions of it? Also if anyone has experience using the new Swarovski x5 scope? I am not trying to buy into skill I am no pro and never will do competitions. I am a hunter and want a gun that I can enjoy and trust in taking a shot out to 500 yards and one that I can pass down to my son when the time comes.

I know I will catch some flak for this, but if you like a more custom rifle and you want something magnumish, go plop down the money and get you a Weatherby Mark V Weathermark and go forth. I have a Mark V in .300 WBY and it is a dream to shoot. It's a Lazer Mark, with the fancy carving, but that's only because it was used and the price was right. The Mark V is pretty custom and the Weather Mark isn't a glossy lookin' Dude Rifle. A guy that took me Nilgai hunting has one in .270 WBY but for what you want to hunt I recommend the .300. It will spit a 180 or 200 grain bullet out at 3000 FPS and more. That will kill anything in North America. And if you get it like mine, with a brake, it recoils less than my brakeless .30-06. It's accurate and nice looking. And won't cost as much as some of the custom rifles you mentioned. It's the best of both worlds.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I know a 300 Weatherby will kill a black near. A guy and his wife stopped by my camp to chat. I told him a bear had been shadowing me well I packed my elk out. He had a bear tag, asked if he could hunt my gut pile. I gave him directions. He back tracked my trail with his big Weatherby. BOOM! one shot. Came out dragging the bear.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Firstly.............Welcome. You have passed the first tests well.

However, I am surprised at some of the responses to your posts. It appears obvious that some of the members here have forgotten the first rule of membership which is............

Enablement.

To correct this, I am going to suggest that you need/want ( don't confuse the 2 by the way, need has nothing to do with want) at least one rifle in each of the calibers that has been mentioned. ( except the 270 that snake mentioned.......a quick search of the forum for '270' will make that clear)

Start small with one factory rifle in each of the calibres mentioned..............that will form the basis of what you need. Once you have purchased them, you can start looking at custom rifles next week.........that will get you over the 'need' barrier and into the 'want' category.

Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay here.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Firstly.............Welcome. You have passed the first tests well.

However, I am surprised at some of the responses to your posts. It appears obvious that some of the members here have forgotten the first rule of membership which is............

Enablement.

To correct this, I am going to suggest that you need/want ( don't confuse the 2 by the way, need has nothing to do with want) at least one rifle in each of the calibers that has been mentioned. ( except the 270 that snake mentioned.......a quick search of the forum for '270' will make that clear)

Start small with one factory rifle in each of the calibres mentioned..............that will form the basis of what you need. Once you have purchased them, you can start looking at custom rifles next week.........that will get you over the 'need' barrier and into the 'want' category.

Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay here.

All I've got to say is....."First Enabler ain'got a chance!"

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.