Home Main Category Hunting

Custom Rifles

Replies

• Savage99Savage99 Member Posts: 43 Member
    I don't think it has an accuracy edge over the others. Of course I selected it for it's small case which was adequate for the 200 yd. matches I shot in. The idea was to get less recoil.

What I am into now when shooting my hunting rifles at the range is keeping track that the first shot from a cold barrel hits right on.

That the rifle stays sighted in.

Most frequently the first shot I get when hunting gets the game and is the most important shot in my experience.
    Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes!
    When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
    I shot the custom M70 300 WM again and it was on (sighted in) at 200 yds with two shots into 2" with the 155 Berger VLD over a full load of Varget!

I has a 3-9 Conquest on it now and weighs 8 # 10oz

Here it is again at the bottom of this picture.

When we go to the eye doctor they ask us what lens we like! They have us look through lens's and find what we see best with! Do that with your shooting optics.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Savage99 wrote: »
    I don't think it has an accuracy edge over the others. Of course I selected it for it's small case which was adequate for the 200 yd. matches I shot in. The idea was to get less recoil.

What I am into now when shooting my hunting rifles at the range is keeping track that the first shot from a cold barrel hits right on.

Most frequently the first shot I get when hunting gets the game and is the most important shot in my experience.

Well you can call it what you like. All I'm going by is what the loading manuals call it, and what it was called for years in the bench rest publications.

And again, right out of the pages of my Speer loading manual, it says the 6mm International has a small, but definite accuracy edge over the .243 and 6mm Remington.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I shot this M70 custom 300 Win. Mag. again today and it did not stayed sighted in putting shots 6" high at 200 yds!

It did make small 'group' at 200 yds with the 155 Berger VLD over Varget.

Thus I will test it again as staying sighted in for that first shot at game is all important.

The weather is getting good now in CT.

[IMG][/img]025.jpg
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,191 Senior Member
    Wait...are you saying that your scope will not hold zero for a three shot string? You have to re-zero after ONE SHOT? If this is the case...something is drastically wrong with the optics, mounts, etc etc etc....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    The way I took it was he sighted in last time he shot it, took it out this time and it shot a good group but it was 6" higher than his previous zero. If that was the case, I'd think it's something with the ammo. Possibly went from a cold day last time to a warmer day this time or maybe the ammo sat in the sun and got warmer prior to shooting this time.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    A good friend of mine who is an excellent shot experienced something similar to what Savage99 has. In his case, he took his rifle apart to give it a good cleaning, put it back together, and then took it out later to hunt antelope. He didn't bother to check the zero after doing this.

The antelope weren't cooperating, but he did have two gimme shots at coyotes. The first was not more than 50 yards away.

We're still trying to figure out where the bullet hit. All we know for sure is that the best we could hope for was that the coyotes died from laughing so hard.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jay wrote: »
    The way I took it was he sighted in last time he shot it, took it out this time and it shot a good group but it was 6" higher than his previous zero. If that was the case, I'd think it's something with the ammo. Possibly went from a cold day last time to a warmer day this time or maybe the ammo sat in the sun and got warmer prior to shooting this time.

That's a definite possibility. Some powders are pretty temperature sensitive.

Also, could have bumped the gun just right. I've had it happen. I fell with my 30-06 one morning walking to the car after a hunt and just on a whim took it to the range. Good thing I did because it was 7 inches left or right, can't remember, all I can remember it was 7 inches to one side. And it had been dead on the day before at the range.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    A good friend of mine who is an excellent shot experienced something similar to what Savage99 has. In his case, he took his rifle apart to give it a good cleaning, put it back together, and then took it out later to hunt antelope. He didn't bother to check the zero after doing this.

The antelope weren't cooperating, but he did have two gimme shots at coyotes. The first was not more than 50 yards away.

We're still trying to figure out where the bullet hit. All we know for sure is that the best we could hope for was that the coyotes dieHe mad from laughing so hard.

hehehehe! Yep, but I can't believe this guy didn't check zero after taking it out of the stock and putting it back in. He may as well have whacked it on top of the scope over the table. Once you release the torgue on the action bolts and put it back in and Retorque it, where it will impact is a crap shoot.
    I shot the custom M70 300 WM again and it was on (sighted in) at 200 yds with two shots into 2" with the 155 Berger VLD over a full load of Varget!

I has a 3-9 Conquest on it now and weighs 8 # 10oz

Here it is again at the bottom of this picture.

I love that rifle. Nothing beats a Model 70 and that conquest is one fine scope, especially for the money. I've seen some really expensive German optics that don't do any better. I call the Conquest the American Zeiss. It may not be in the league with its name sakes in Deutschland or the other fine German optics such as Schmitd Und Bender or Sworovsky, but it is still more clear than most eyes are going to be able to take advantage of. Zeiss made a great move when they made a scope with great optics that Joe Sixpack could afford.

Oh Definitely, for a pure hunting situation, first shot trumps all. If you get that one right then I don't care what you're shooting, you probably aren't having to track a wounded animal and while others less attentive to detail are tracking their game, you will be cleaning and loading yours up.
    I'm late to the party on this, but I have read all or most of the comments, and have a few of my own.

FYI, I made my first elk hunt in 1986, and have hunted elk most years since. I'm not a very good elk hunter, but I've spent my share of days in the mountains of Utah and Colorado trying to find and kill one.

During all those years, the longest shot I've ever taken was maybe 300 yards. The elk was running (more like trotting), and had just been gut shot by someone else. I was shooting a 7mag and held just over its back. My shot clipped its spine and dropped it in its tracks. I didn't have a range finder, so I can only estimate the range. I do know that it wasn't anywhere near 500 yards. So, the point I'm making here is that 500 yard shots are rare. I've heard guys talk about shooting at running elk at 700-800 yards as if it's common place, but I doubt they had any idea as to the range, or if they actually killed the animal. It's not a shot I'd take. I even had one buy at a gun show me his .338 Winchester Magnum and tell me how he had killed a bull elk with it at 800 yards across a canyon. After hefting the rifle, I decided it wasn't for me. It must have weighed 10+ lbs. Also, he was trying to sell it, so I had my doubts as to the veracity of his claim.

I also killed a spike bull at about 80 yards, which is the shortest shot I've ever had at one. Making a 500 yard DRT shot on a big bull is nice, but don't plan on it.

The second point I want to make is that elk are big animals, and don't really require a high magnification scope to see them. I'd rather have good, clear lower power optics that perform well in low light than something along the lines of 4x16 that don't. My preferred magnification is 2.5x8 or 3x9. I suppose 4x16 works for some, but you have to take into consideration that you may be still hunting through dark timber where shots may be short and quick, and high magnification is more of a hindrance than a help. That is why I like the lower power range.

Whatever you do, good luck. I hope it all works out and we'll be hearing about that 7x7 bull you kill in the near future.
    Jerry

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    7RM will easily do elk to 500 as would the 280 Remington.
    There is more factory ammo options for the 7RM though.
    Dangerous game...no experience there. 338WM will surely work though.
    Good friend of mine who used to guide in Alaska for Grizz, typically carried a 375 H&H.

I prefer the recoil of the 375H&H to the 300WinMag. Maybe I'm odd, but 300WinMag is just not fun.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    apb290 wrote: »
    Weight is 30 oz/850g so not the lightest option by any means. I love how compact it is 12.6in/320 mm. I'll be happy to carry the few extra ounces. The X5i was an amazing scope but for the extra money I really did not see enough of a difference. I really wanted to stick with an FFP scope to gain experience on, which currently the Swarovski X5 does not offer.

Can I offer my 2-cents on he FFP/SFP debate?

FFP is most useful for maintaining your distance estimation throughout the magnification range. The occasional disadvantage of a FFP reticle is that when zoomed in on higher power, the reticle grows in size with the image and can at times obscure the target.

With a SFP, the image grows and the reticle does not, so the target image may not be obscured so much--especially with thin crosshair reticles.

You won't want to estimate range to a 500+ yard animal. It's potentially inhumane at best. Buy a GOOD handheld laser rangefinder. Leupold, Vortex, SIG, all make good $500 rangefinders. If you are stopping your stalk at 500 yards, if you aren't wind ignorant, having a few moments to range a bull isn't impossible. Then dial your drop compensation into the scope elevation turret.

With a flat enough caliber like 7mm, a stalk to 250 yards may be in the point blank range of the particular load.

Just my 2-cents.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    [URL="[URL=http://s701.photobucket.com/user/Donmartin29/media/025.jpg.html][IMG]http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww15/Donmartin29/025.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]025.jpgI shot this M70 300 Win mag again last week to check if it stays sighted in and hit right on with it's first shot from a cold barrel at 200 yds!

The first shot hit 1.5" to the right at 200 yds and the second confirming shot hit the one inch bull right on! making a one and a half inch 'group'.

It's the rifle at the top of the picture.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Well it sure is a beautiful rifle. I hope you have it tweaked where it stays consistent.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • apb290apb290 New Member Posts: 24 New Member

Has been some time just wanted to follow up with the progress. Michael Deloach from Nine Run Gun, is weeks away from being finished with my first custom rifle. Can not wait to see the finished product.

Thanks again for all the help could not of done it with out you all.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,547 Senior Member
    Looks great!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,753 Senior Member
    That'll work!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Looking good.

BTW, if you don't want to wait for drawing a NM tag, you may want to consider an over the counter bull tag in Colorado. There's a number of outfitters who operate in these areas and provide quality hunts. Most of these are public land hunts, but they know the area and can get you into the back country on horse back.

There's also Ranching for Wildlife operations that provide guided hunts on private land. These hunts can be expensive though. I know some range from $7500 to $12,500. I don't know what your hunt budget it, but the more you pay the better your chances are. There's also a 2 or more year wait to book a hunt on some of the better places. But, since your rifle's not ready yet, now would be a good time to check some of these places out. Get a copy of the Colorado Big Game regulations for a list of these places if you're interested.

Good luck, and post a nice, long story of a successful hunt.
    Jerry

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    What chambering? looking good...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    Why are you insisting on a custom made rifle ? You must want to show off how much money you have because the guides or the elk, deer or whatever you are hunting will die with a well placed shot from a factory rifle such as the Remington, Savage, Ruger or any other factory made rifle. Your money you would spend on a custom rifle would be better spent on range time. You can never practice too much and get very familiar with a good 30-06 I live in Wyoming and have Hunted Mule deer, elk and antelope for years, and usually do it all with a Winchester pre 64 30-06. The majority of hunters I know use the 06 or the 300 Winchester magnum and some 7mm Remington all factory made.
    There's nothing wrong with a custom made rifle but if you plan on hunting long, be prepared to get a lot of dents scratches etc. from horses,falling or just plain hard hunting. It will happen and there's nothing you do can prevent it.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    Why are you insisting on a custom made rifle ? You must want to show off how much money you have because the guides or the elk, deer or whatever you are hunting will die with a well placed shot from a factory rifle such as the Remington, Savage, Ruger or any other factory made rifle. Your money you would spend on a custom rifle would be better spent on range time. You can never practice too much and get very familiar with a good 30-06 I live in Wyoming and have Hunted Mule deer, elk and antelope for years, and usually do it all with a Winchester pre 64 30-06. The majority of hunters I know use the 06 or the 300 Winchester magnum and some 7mm Remington all factory made.
    There's nothing wrong with a custom made rifle but if you plan on hunting long, be prepared to get a lot of dents scratches etc. from horses,falling or just plain hard hunting. It will happen and there's nothing you do can prevent it.

How about "just because".
    Chill out dude, it ain't your checkbook.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    How about "just because".
    Chill out dude, it ain't your checkbook.

:that:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,329 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,511 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    There is a guy there in Laramie off second street that builds custom rifles that START in the low 5 figure range......just sayin'. Nate grew up in Gillette and is definitely a Wyoming guy!
    http://www.nlheineke.com/portfolio.htm
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    ^^^^^^ Couldn't agree more.
    It is unfortunate that there are still some on this forum that do not understand a gun can be purchased or built for the sheer pleasure of owning it or wanting something the way you want it.

It's NOT always a measuring contest. If you feel insecure enough to only see it that way, I am sorry you do not understand the pleasure of firearms.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Why not? Installing a brake on my.300 WM was the best move I ever made...one upside is the ability to watch bullet impacts..another is that I don't take a beating during long range sessions...my wife shoots my .300 regularly with no complaints

I also concur and have never shot your rifle. I have a .300 Wby with a brake and it is deadly accurate. And for those that don't like brakes I say if the noise is the problem you need to check out what you're using for ear protection. Use some good hearing protection. You should be using it anyway.
    The green RCBS box is marked 6mm Int. on the outside.

The RCBS FL die is stamped 6MM INTER F L
    The RCBS SEAT die is stamped 6MM INT SEAT L