Home Main Category Hunting

Custom Rifles

1235»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    big elk wrote: »
    Why are you insisting on a custom made rifle ? You must want to show off how much money you have because the guides or the elk, deer or whatever you are hunting will die with a well placed shot from a factory rifle such as the Remington, Savage, Ruger or any other factory made rifle. Your money you would spend on a custom rifle would be better spent on range time. You can never practice too much and get very familiar with a good 30-06 I live in Wyoming and have Hunted Mule deer, elk and antelope for years, and usually do it all with a Winchester pre 64 30-06. The majority of hunters I know use the 06 or the 300 Winchester magnum and some 7mm Remington all factory made.
    There's nothing wrong with a custom made rifle but if you plan on hunting long, be prepared to get a lot of dents scratches etc. from horses,falling or just plain hard hunting. It will happen and there's nothing you do can prevent it.

I see where you're coming from, that you can kill an animal just as dead with a plain jane store bought rifle in 30-06 for lot's cheaper. I can also get in my Chevy and drive the length of this continent just as well as I could in a Rolls Royce. But it comes down to the old saying, "Iffin you got it, Flaunt it!" Variety is the SPICE OF LIFE! It's what makes life worth living.

The way I look at it, life is a balancing act. You balance what you want with what you can afford. If I could afford it, all my guns would be custom made. But I can't. I have a few I consider custom, put together by my most excellent gun smith who does great work for the money. I mean he doesn't work for Holland and Holland or Westly Richards, but he can put me a gun together that will shoot as accurately as I'm capable of shooting it, and all three guns he's built me look as good as most plain jane factory rifles or maybe a little better, and all this within my meager retirement budget.

I'm satisfied with what I've got, but you can bet your sweet bippy that if I could afford it, I'd have me some first class hand made customs all with Krieger barrels on B&C Medalist stocks with Zeiss or S&M Glass.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    S&M Glass.

Did you acquire some new fetish? :tooth: :jester: :roll2:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • apb290apb290 New Member Posts: 24 New Member

I just received my finished pictures today from Michael with Nine Run Gun. I do not have words at how happy I am at how this turned out. I cannot wait to shoot it I will keep you all up to date on this and my hunting trip next year. We landed opening day for rifle in New Mexico for an Elk hunt on unit 34. Thanks again for all the help and if you are looking for a gun smith hit up Nine Run Gun.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,229 Senior Member
    NICE!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It looks black and bad!
    using bad as slang for very good
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    apb290 wrote: »
    I just received my finished pictures today from Michael with Nine Run Gun. I do not have words at how happy I am at how this turned out. I cannot wait to shoot it I will keep you all up to date on this and my hunting trip next year. We landed opening day for rifle in New Mexico for an Elk hunt on unit 34. Thanks again for all the help and if you are looking for a gun smith hit up Nine Run Gun.

Very nice... Congrats on a fine looking new rifle.

My dad and a buddy of mine just took a bull and cow respectively out of that unit in archery season. There's some good elk hunting in there. There's also likely to be A LOT of people in there, and that can get frustrating. Good luck on your hunt.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Looks fantastic. Here's hoping you have a successful hunt.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is nice. Good luck next year.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Did you acquire some new fetish? :tooth: :jester: :roll2:

Luis

Schmidt Undt Bender
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Absolutely gorgeous!
    Thanks everyone, I am very excited to take it to the range and see what it can do. I will send some info once I do. Thanks Jay for the information on Unit 34. I am bit nervious because I set the trip up for my family there will be four of us hunting it opening day next year. We went with Ridgeline Outfitters. This may be my fathers last big game hunt, so no matter what happens it will be a hunt that will be an amazing experience.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    Thanks everyone, I am very excited to take it to the range and see what it can do. I will send some info once I do. Thanks Jay for the information on Unit 34. I am bit nervious because I set the trip up for my family there will be four of us hunting it opening day next year. We went with Ridgeline Outfitters. This may be my fathers last big game hunt, so no matter what happens it will be a hunt that will be an amazing experience.

34 is an excellent elk area. I'm not familiar with outfitters in that area, other than I've seen them up there. They tend to go set up their camps well before the season starts to hold their spots. Being public land, there will be a lot of people up there. Especially during "any legal arms" hunt times. Archery tends to get less people and muzzleloader a little more than archery, but less than ALA hunts. It can be frustrating with "hunters" buzzing around all over on ATVs and driving around in trucks and jeeps. For some folks, that's the preferred hunting method. I'm sure your outfitter will know the ins and outs of hunting that unit and will set you up well. Like I mentioned, my dad and buddy just took two elk out of that unit a few weeks ago in archery season. One 40 yard shot and one 80. They reported having seen A LOT of elk. More than we've been seeing. We got more moisture in the last year or so, so that might have helped. Drought and fires had things pretty messed up for a while. Hopefully it picks back up again. Good luck and enjoy that hunt. It is a really nice area and good hunting.

Here is my first day at RockCastle Shooting Center with my gun this is a couple days ago. I shot this group at 100 yards with very minor adjustments to sight in. I am very pleased at how it is shooting. I was shooting this off a bipod nothing else. I will be buying a rear bag soon to shoot more long distance. I have a lot more practice to do but here is where I am at now. I can not wait to shoot it further, Rock Castles long range has been booked at the times I could go. I Love the gun, it has very little kick and is amazing to shoot. I want to thank Michael DeLoach at Nine Run Gun for this amazing 300 Win Mag.

Thanks Jay for the info can not wait for next years hunt!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,229 Senior Member
    Here is my first day at RockCastle Shooting Center with my gun this is a couple days ago. I shot this group at 100 yards with very minor adjustments to sight in. I am very pleased at how it is shooting. I was shooting this off a bipod nothing else. I will be buying a rear bag soon to shoot more long distance. I have a lot more practice to do but here is where I am at now. I can not wait to shoot it further, Rock Castles long range has been booked at the times I could go. I Love the gun, it has very little kick and is amazing to shoot. I want to thank Michael DeLoach at Nine Run Gun for this amazing 300 Win Mag.

Thanks Jay for the info can not wait for next years hunt!

Way Cool!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Darn good shooting for no rear support. Could be the rifle is in in the hands of a rifleman.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    That is good shooting for a heavy hitter with no rear rest. :up:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Great shootin'! What loads?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: