Traveling with your CCW across state lines

twatwa Senior MemberPosts: 2,231 Senior Member
I have a CCW for KS but will be traveling from Kansas to South Carolina soon, I recognize that Illinois does not recognize my CCW..... how do you guys handle the situation going across state lines, especially those that don't recognize your CCW? Is it legal to holster the weapon in plain view in your car as you travel through this no go CCW states? Any help appreciated. What about carrying a rifle or shotgun in a case across state lines? My Son is staying in what he calls a "sketchy" area in South Carolina now and want me to bring a gun for him, he does not have a CCW, but is 21 years old.

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,067 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I have a CCW for KS but will be traveling from Kansas to South Carolina soon, I recognize that Illinois does not recognize my CCW..... how do you guys handle the situation going across state lines, especially those that don't recognize your CCW? Is it legal to holster the weapon in plain view in your car as you travel through this no go CCW states? Any help appreciated. What about carrying a rifle or shotgun in a case across state lines? My Son is staying in what he calls a "sketchy" area in South Carolina now and want me to bring a gun for him, he does not have a CCW, but is 21 years old.

I can't tell you the legal issues (very complicated). But, it is a very good idea not to have any issues when traveling. Even if you are "legal," they can make it very expensive if you are arrested.

Good idea:
    1) Don't let the police see the weapon,
    2) Keep it in the trunk, unloaded and locked,
    3) go around Illinois if you can.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    Put it in your glove compartment and lock it. No problem.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    Any excuse to avoid Illinois is a good one! Drop down a little south and travel I-40 through Memphis. The roads in Arkansas aren't nearly as bad as they once were!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Put it in your glove compartment and lock it. No problem.

Nope...it must be unloaded and in a case/container in an area not accessible to the driver...ammunition may not be in the same container. also,if you have keep your registration/proof of insurance in the glove compartment and open it in front of an officer, it may serve to escalate the situation in a bad way.

Illinois...If you have an out of state permit you may keep it with you loaded in the passenger compartment as you pass through the state...but you may not, under any circumstances, have it on you if you get out of the vehicle...not even while you are pumping gas...

430 ILCS 66/40
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
    vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
    evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
    residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
    unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in
    accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Do not assume this law applies in Chicago...they have their own rules there.

Best bet...check for reciprocity and gun laws for every state you are traveling through. There are (no kidding) places that consider a loaded magazine a concealed weapon...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,592 Senior Member
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    I unload it and put it in a case or lock it in a safe where I cannot reach it. If I had a vehicle with an external entry trunk, I'd put it there
    at the last road with an on off ramp before entering the offensive state.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I had to yell at my kid not to put his toy gun in the glove compartment. When I told him why, he asked, "does that really happen Daddy?"

A little caution only takes a little effort.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Stay out of Illinois if you can! All others are free states when it comes to your CHP but remember THEIR laws apply. Check 'em out on the state's xxxxx.gov pages to makes sure you get the most up to date ones. If you do got thru Ill then do what Ned said and lock it unloaded in a casein the trunk/way back.

Transporting a long gun can be sticky. I'd just lock it unloaded in a case and store it in the trunk/way back.

As to taking him a gun, SC has no private sale crap so a long gun is completely legal to give him. Now a handgun in an interstate transfer needs the FFL thing.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,530 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »

Drive there, take him shopping.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    While I don't know the law in all states, I'm well-versed on Amendment 4. Can't search your car without probable cause or consent. (Or, of course, a warrant.) Or the 5th Amendment, which prevents you from admitting to a crime, like "I have a loaded gun in my car."
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    When traveling through, don't speed, should help to alleviate any unwanted contact with law enforcement.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    While I don't know the law in all states, I'm well-versed on Amendment 4. Can't search your car without probable cause or consent. (Or, of course, a warrant.) Or the 5th Amendment, which prevents you from admitting to a crime, like "I have a loaded gun in my car."

Which is all fine and dandy until you are in a state which requires you notify the officer that you are armed...and makes it a crime if you are and don't...

What I quoted in the earlier post is a Federal statute that is "supposed" to allow you to transport firearms legally anywhere in the U.S....that being said - there have been problems in certain liberal enclaves around the country...
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I avoid Illinois at all cost. I had to go back about four years ago, when my wife's grandmother past. I could not say no. We pulled over the last exit, and I locked the unloaded gun in the trunk. Pulled over on the side of the road when we got back in Indiana, and armed up. Going to Chicago unarmed sucks. If all goes well I will never return to Illinois ever again.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Which is all fine and dandy until you are in a state which requires you notify the officer that you are armed...and makes it a crime if you are and don't...

What I quoted in the earlier post is a Federal statute that is "supposed" to allow you to transport firearms legally anywhere in the U.S....that being said - there have been problems in certain liberal enclaves around the country...

You can't be forced to admit to a crime. So it follows that if you're required to notify if you're carrying a gun, therefore carrying a gun in that state isn't a crime.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    When I moved to Ohio form Colorado I drove right down I80 all the way. In my 4 door pick up there was no way I was putting my guns in the bed or the 8' u haul trailer. I blissfully stacked the ones I took unloaded and case with a lock on each one and drove the speed limit. I have to admit a 2002 truck with a u haul trailer with CO plates would make an easy target for "possible drug activity" went through my mind the entire trip. The second trip with the "big yellow truck" was way easier, it's a moving truck!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    You can't be forced to admit to a crime. So it follows that if you're required to notify if you're carrying a gun, therefore carrying a gun in that state isn't a crime.

Unless you don't have a permit or the permit you have isn't recognized by that state
    You still can't be forced to admit to a crime.

If I was breaking the law, which I don't intend to do, I wouldn't tell the officer I had a firearm. I come from a state where you don't ask, and I suspect states where you're required to tell, the information is already on your tag information. Also, since an automobile is like a house, (with a "mobility" exception) without probable cause or permission, a LEO can't search.

In some heathenish states like CT, for example, the gun must be in the trunk and separate from the ammunition. But not in most. In NJ, it's a dicey thing to carry a weapon. Thank you Chris Christy.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • bowserbbowserb Member Posts: 277 Member
    Let me reiterate: handgunlaw.us is an excellent source of up to date info. I was planning a Great River Road trip starting at the source. Everything looked good. I checked again a few weeks later, and the Minnesota law had changed, and a Texas CHL was no longer valid. All because the Texas law changed, allowing a CHL for under 21 if you are active duty military or a veteran between 18 and 21. In Minnesota, under 21 is not allowed a license under any circumstances. It's quite discouraging.

Maybe you should leave the guns at home and just fly to SC. As someone else suggested, when you get there, take your son gun shopping. Compare that cost to the cost of an arrest, even if you get off, in some state between home and SC. Not worth it.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history." - Ayn Rand
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    When is the last time anyone here got a pat down and a vehicle search by an LEO?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    When is the last time anyone here got a pat down and a vehicle search by an LEO?
    Last summer at the chili festival a LEO walked up to me and queried me if I had my gun, no pat down when I said no.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Last summer at the chili festival a LEO walked up to me and queried me if I had my gun, no pat down when I said no.

Marines look dangerous all the time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,418 Senior Member
    I have mailed a lot of things to myself, including guns, to "General Delivery" at whatever city where I'm going to do the pickup. When I went to El Paso to pick up my nephew's Chevy truck and drive it back to Tennessee, a box of tools with my P-64 in the bottom was waiting for me. Jay was my contact person for that trip, and we stopped by the post office where I picked up the package, then I collected the truck which had been stored at his place and headed east. Thanks again, Jay!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BTW there is a third option. You can mail a gun to yourself at your final destination. You mail it to yourself C/O your son with instructions that no one can open the package and "takes possession" until you get there. Perfectly legal.

Can't mail a handgun by USPS. You can mail a long gun, though.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06