Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump won't debate Cruz one on one

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,813 Senior Member
No big surprise - front-runners never want debates because they are a lose-lose proposition for the clear front-runner. If a candidate has a message that the voters are buying into, why make yourself vulnerable? Anything can happen, and mostly none of those things are likely to be good. I would expect any normal candidate to make the same decision.

However, the reasons that Trump cites are somewhat weak, to anybody but the 'political sophisticates'. Supposedly, he had no clue that another debate was scheduled, and he has already committed to another event. And, why should he get up there and be asked the same questions from the same moderators, against the same opponents?

So, what does he say if Fox News offers to re-schedule, change moderators, and exclude John Kasich - basically, a one on one with Ted Cruz? Certainly the Cruz campaign will challenge his manhood, and make a big deal about his fear of a one-on-one confrontation - it is the normal strategy from any campaign that is trailing.

Still, everybody agrees that Trump is no normal candidate. Will he accept the challenge, eventually, against advise from almost any political handler, or will he simply try to ignore it? Interesting.

Replies

  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Trump is tired of debates, and Kasich has already confirmed if Trump is out he is too. I support boycotting the next debate, if only to reduce even further the interference, influence, prestige, and agenda of the press, and to deny the Democrats any more ammunition in the form of an emotional quote or two. There's nothing we don't know about where these candidates stand on any issue that can't be found on their websites or elsewhere on the web.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    I prefer not to watch another slugfest between Cruz, Trump and droning Kasich
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Yes.

    Trump was struggling in the last debate to fill his one minute and fifteen seconds, without giving away his lack of command of the issues. His message is a chant that loops continuously and has no substance to back up his boasts. He doesn't want to disrupt, at this point, but face it - it's all he's got.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,185 Senior Member
    Hey bis, your very first paragraph states why ANYBODY running for election would not participate in any more debates. Your starting to argue for the sake of it.
    You/we should be more concerned with the GOP leaders saying things like the American people do not pick who runs for office, we do.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Hey bis, your very first paragraph states why ANYBODY running for election would not participate in any more debates. Your starting to argue for the sake of it.

    I wasn't arguing it either way in my first post - just stating the obvious, based on the behavior of previous candidates. Trump has been thumbing his nose at that advice, while on the attack, but now he thinks he can shift away from destroying his opponents with character attacks and start acting 'presidential.' I contend that he would not have dodged the next scheduled debate, had he not found the last one much more difficult. Of course, he claimed victory - he always does, no matter what. But he found himself between two great debaters, and the moderators asked very pointed policy questions that he could not handle. He was forced to dodge the questions and change the subject, and he knows that a lot of people noticed that. I'm sure that he was as surprised as anyone to discover that his supporters never even noticed, or did not care. Besides, I think he knew a long time ago that he had about as much of the conservative vote as he was going to get, and started going after a very disgruntled group of Democrats and independents who tend to vote their pocketbooks.
    You/we should be more concerned with the GOP leaders saying things like the American people do not pick who runs for office, we do.

    I've been concerned about that for years, and have been voting for anti-establishment Republicans for years. Two of the three I've voted for have been true to their campaign promises. If every voter had that same degree of luck, the establishment types would have disappeared within two election cycles. Unfortunately, most voters do not pay enough attention to be able to weed out the posers. That has never been more evident than now.

    Trump has been posing as a conservative, so far. Now that he believes he has harvested what he can from them, his appeal will switch to the low information Democrats who have been 'the meat' of that party for decades. That block of voters does not watch debates because they find them too boring. They like slogans and charisma...and drama.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    small hands
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    So bisley, how do you win an election in this country without appealing to the low information voters who make up the majority of the population? Because it seems to me that in order to win you are obligated by our system to do just that.

    You run against Hilary Clinton with a candidate that has the ability and the balls to nail her to the wall for a lifetime of corruption - one who has very little baggage of his own for her to attack. She is a terrible candidate, who has not one single significant accomplishment of her own. She is the most vulnerable candidate that has run, in my lifetime.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    He has baggage of his own, and Hilary is a good debater - something Donald doesn't handle that well, despite his delusions about winning all of them. He may be able to handle her, if she doesn't figure out how to flip his switches.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    You mean someone like Donald Trump?
    Get with the program Alpha. Trump is awesome! He said so, so it has to be true. We don't need a politician (a person employed to run the business of government) we need a businessman (a person employed to run non-government businesses). It worked so well when we had a much more intelligent businessman candidate with humility and integrity, and had a better grasp on policy four years ago, that we should try it again! But this time, let's run the guy that invited Hillary Clinton to his wedding, contributed to her presidential campaign 8 years ago, said she is a good friend 4 years ago while saying what a great job she was doing as secretary of state. And besides, he is flexible-- so if he says something you don't like today, I am sure he will say something different tomorrow. Even if he doesn't, he is ready to make a deal!





    T R U M P
    Can be bought here!
    http://www.trump.com/merchandise/
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Y'all can say what you want but this election I am going to vote using the ABC method, Anybody But Clinton. robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Your numbers show Cruz in a statistically insignificant victory over Clinton (well within the margin of error), NOT winning decisively. And I said electable, not another mouthpiece of the Republican National party going around thumping the bible screaming TRUMP IS TOXIC in chorus with the other two idiots.

    Cruz appeals to you and the rest of the small percentage Republican hardcore conservatives (me included until recently)..... AND maybe to the rest of the 40-45% vote R anytime crew. And one more thing, I don't buy those polls. I do believe that Trump sill see big numbers of Democrats voting for him, Cruz? No chance in hell.

    :silly::silly::silly::silly::silly:
    .
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Cruz appeals to you and the rest of the small percentage Republican hardcore conservatives (me included until recently)..... AND maybe to the rest of the 40-45% vote R anytime crew. And one more thing, I don't buy those polls. I do believe that Trump sill see big numbers of Democrats voting for him, Cruz? No chance in hell.
    I am not a hardcore conservative. I am strongly libertarian and tend to be liberal on social issues-- "classical liberal" is the best description. And I have authority issues. The less the government is in my life, the better. Neither Clinton nor Trump is offering that-- both seem to be offering government as the solution in different ways. Nor am I a Bible thumper or care for them too much. I have big issues with organized religion (my authority problem coming back again) but strongly support religious freedom (and not just Christians). That doesn't make me much of a hardcore conservative.

    The only thing I get from Cruz is that he is awesome on 2A-- there are none better. He has a bit of a libertarian streak happening. Not exactly Rand Paul, but I will take what I can get. Trump and Clinton are the anti-libertarians. Cruz has Constitutional chops. The Constitution is the entire foundation of our government and society. While I may not agree with Cruz on many issues, at least he can point to the Constitution and make an argument (that I may again disagree with) for his position. So while I may not agree, at least we are basing our disagreements off the Constitution. I have seen Trump disregard our Constitution for his own financial gain. I have only personally noted one time of seeing Trump refer to the Constitution in a debate. Cruz is exceptionally smart. He makes Trump look like a mental midget. He can run circles around Clinton. You can say Trump is smart because he is successful and has managed to market his brand (Trump) exceptionally well, but I have seen morons manage the same thing while doing very well for themselves.

    You can argue that Cruz can come off like a TV evangelist, is creepy, arrogant, and kind of a and I will agree. But here is the deal...

    Hillary Clinton has spent her entire lifetime crafting an image of herself. The image she has now is the one she is stuck with. Donald Trump has also spent a lifetime crafting his image. His name is on the side of buildings, I don't think he has ever turned away a TV camera, books, water, a "university", a failed airline, Mexican made suits, Chinese made shirts, steaks, etc...

    Clinton and Trump have made their names the best they can be. The people that like them are going to like them. The people that hate them will still hate them and there is nowhere else to go but down. Cruz? He still has time to shape a positive image.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    And one more thing, I don't buy those polls. I do believe that Trump will see big numbers of Democrats voting for him, Cruz? No chance in hell.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I find myself unable to read other peoples minds which is a super-power that apparently many here have.

    While you are reading Democrat's minds, (a scary thought) the best we can do is look at polls that say Cruz has a much better chance of beating Clinton than Trump does.

    And for every Democrat that Trump recruits, how many otherwise Republican voters are going to jump ship?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Y'all can say what you want but this election I am going to vote using the ABC method, Anybody But Clinton. robin
    Agreed!
    69562ada-7ab9-4cf8-9337-5a8707a40beb.png
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I don't think he has ever turned away a TV camera
    I need to correct myself since it is the subject of this thread...
    For maybe the first time in his life, Trump is turning away debate time in front of the TV cameras because he knows for a fact it will make him look bad. If he knew it was going to make him look better, there is no question he would be there. Trump turning down free media with millions watching is totally out of character for him-- that is the one thing he has been very consistent about for decades. What is he afraid of? Is meany Megyn going to be "not nice" to him again? Are his balls not as big as everyone (including himself) has been saying?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    You mean someone like Donald Trump?

    No, just somebody, anybody that can get the votes to win the nomination.

    Hey it's too late. It's too damn late. Hell I would vote for Ted Cruz in a heartbeat if he got nominated, I already did in the primary, but he isn't getting the nomination. Everybody that's Crying against Trump is disillusioned.

    It boils down now to Do we take a Chance with Trump or do we throw it away and give it to Hillary?

    People arguing with me over my backing Trump now are saying that he will be worse than Hillary. How do you know? That would be pretty damn bad. I personally don't see how Trump or anybody with an R behind there name could be worse than Hillary.

    Everybody saying Trump is saying he's going to do all this stuff and thinking he can't. Well this guy did NOT just fall of the garbage truck and he's made a lot of money. He's no dummy and he's mostly saying the right things. Cruz was my favorite and I've voted for him. If Chicken Little doesn't make it to the other side of the road and the Sky falls on his head, and Cruz gets the nomination then I'll be very happy. But do I think that's going to happen? Yep, just as soon as Pigs Fly.

    Trump is saying all this stuff because he, like the rest of us, is sick of not only Obama, but of Lying ass Politicians promising the world and delivering Nada!

    There's a guy on a Houston radio station named Michael Berry or Barry, Not sure, that I used to listen to religiously. But now his whole show is dedicated to Trump bashing, and yesterday he was bad mouthing Rush and Sean simply because they don't bash Trump. I turned the station to Dave Ramsey. I swore off him until this is all over with. He has never yet given me one reason I should throw in the towel and not vote for Trump and I just got damn tired of listening. He had also begun to bad mouth Ben Carson as bad as Trump even before Carson threw his support to Trump. He claims to be a Cruz supporter. But I have my doubts.

    The Establishment Politico and some of the Tea Party types are threatening a third party run, if Trump is nominated. That's really the answer here, that's freaking Brilliant. I'm sick of hearing it. Look Trump is an egotistical jerk, I admit it. But he's still light years ahead of Hitlery. And he's just as pissed as the rest of us.

    I still say, I'm voting for whoever gets the Republican Nomination. If that would have been Ben Carson, New Jersey Fats, Carli Fiorina, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, John Kasich, or Donald Trump. The only thing is I just figure it's Trump and given the numbers. It's too late for anyone else. Get real

    And I wish the establishment goons would get off of it. I'm beginning to think they just don't think Hillary is that bad. I think Hitlery is our worse Nightmare.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    snake,

    Try to relax. The election is eight months away, and there is a process for nominating a candidate that has to play out. The Democrat Party is almost as screwed up right now as the Republicans. It's just much easier for them to pivot, because they don't have to deal with informed voters, to the same extent that Republicans do, and their only political strategy is to discredit the opposition. Right now, they have to prepare character assassinations for at least three possible candidates, for use by a candidate that might not be Hilary Clinton. If the FBI recommends a grand jury for Hilary, they will have to fight her to get her out and run in Elizabeth Warren, John Kerry, or Uncle Joe.

    So, there is no rush to jump on anybody's bandwagon. By the time we get to the convention, most of these problems will resolve themselves. There is no reason for anybody to fold, while there are still cards to be played. Nor is there any reason to stake out a position that they may yet have to retreat from. The nomination process has not imploded nor exploded, yet, and half of the votes are still up for grabs.

    Trump has been playing hardball with 'fellow Republicans,' and in doing so is teaching them to play hardball, too. By the same token, he is being taught that he cannot bluster his way through every situation. It's very good exercise for dealing with Democrats, and brinkmanship is the name of the game, at this point. It is almost a lost art in the Republican Party.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Jerm I said weeks ago that Trump, if he was following a sound BUSINESS strategy to win
    I never said it was a bad strategy.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    ...BTW my belief is that Hillary's problems as far as the DNC is concerned are self correcting. If I was running the party I would just instruct the current administration to drag their feet until after the election. At that point, either Hillary is President and she can take care of making sure this goes away (which they think will be the case), or, Hillary is the looser and she is sent to jail by a Republican President. In either case her fate is now not their concern anymore. I THINK they are probably tired of their name being sullied over and over again in association with the Clinton criminal enterprise :tooth:

    It all depends on the integrity of the FBI director, or lacking that, a fear by him that underlings will leak to the media, or that a whistleblower will emerge. If he is the man everyone thinks he is, and can't be blackmailed, intimidated, or bought off, Hilary will be un-electable, at the very least. Sure, the AG can refuse to call a grand jury, or call one and then refuse to indict, but there will be huge political fall-out, and I think the DNC will go to the bench for a solution. Eight months is a long time to play rope-a-dope in a hotly contested election year, with either Trump or Cruz pounding them with it on Fox News and talk radio.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    You run against Hilary Clinton with a candidate that has the ability and the balls to nail her to the wall for a lifetime of corruption - one who has very little baggage of his own for her to attack. She is a terrible candidate, who has not one single significant accomplishment of her own. She is the most vulnerable candidate that has run, in my lifetime.

    I'm still praying that the FBI isn't corrupted by the current administration, and that she's charged and arrested for breaking the law. Although I would love to see Slick Willie in handcuffs....HildaBeast will do!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nope but you cited all the wrong reasons. I don't believe Trump is doing it out of fear of looking bad or just plain lack of testicles. I believe it's a well orchestrated strategy designed by his team of advisors who no doubt are feverishly conducting their own market research while the rest live of the free trash polls.

    It's what I would be doing to close a big deal in which I had multiple competitors. I don't let anyone else but ME decide who my competition is out of a group and how/when I fight them. He has taken that choice away from everyone else in the fight and brought all attention to him. Perfectly executed so far...
    Yep, he doesn't need debates anymore until the general.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    How long have we been "investigating" Fast and Furious? Benghazi?

    This is different. Both of those were clear cases of gross incompetence and negligence, in which the involved parties should have been fired in disgrace. Anything that was definitely criminal resulted from the cover-up and lying to Congress, and is very hard to prosecute. It should have been devastating, politically, but nobody ever goes to jail for that sort of thing.

    The server issues are very clear violations of federal law, knowingly perpetrated, and compounded by lying to Congress and the FBI, both crimes in themselves. Also, there is probably evidence of corruption involving political and foreign policy favors for sale, with pay-offs to the Clinton foundation from foreign countries.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, he doesn't need debates anymore until the general.

    I think we don't either (on here), especially those that rehash the same ole same ole and ain't one swinging Richard changed their mind on here that I can tell. Maybe a couple have resigned themselves to accept the inevitable and vote for him, others are on the Never Trump bandwagon which means Pantsuit/a DEM of some flavor gets to be our next POTUS.

    We shall see if Trump gets the nomination in the end (I believe he will) and when the time to vote comes what they will do when actaully faced with that dilemma..........

    Last few days I have refrained from posting hardly anything on this forum and it has been nice to tell the truth. It has cost me money though, ordering/buying gun related stuff to keep myself distracted from the political Point Counter Point being bandied about.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    snake,

    Try to relax. The election is eight months away, and there is a process for nominating a candidate that has to play out. The Democrat Party is almost as screwed up right now as the Republicans. It's just much easier for them to pivot, because they don't have to deal with informed voters, to the same extent that Republicans do, and their only political strategy is to discredit the opposition. Right now, they have to prepare character assassinations for at least three possible candidates, for use by a candidate that might not be Hilary Clinton. If the FBI recommends a grand jury for Hilary, they will have to fight her to get her out and run in Elizabeth Warren, John Kerry, or Uncle Joe.

    So, there is no rush to jump on anybody's bandwagon. By the time we get to the convention, most of these problems will resolve themselves. There is no reason for anybody to fold, while there are still cards to be played. Nor is there any reason to stake out a position that they may yet have to retreat from. The nomination process has not imploded nor exploded, yet, and half of the votes are still up for grabs.

    Trump has been playing hardball with 'fellow Republicans,' and in doing so is teaching them to play hardball, too. By the same token, he is being taught that he cannot bluster his way through every situation. It's very good exercise for dealing with Democrats, and brinkmanship is the name of the game, at this point. It is almost a lost art in the Republican Party.

    I can't relax. Too much at stake. However I take solace in the fact that I believe when it comes to the nutt cutting that most here, I said most, not all, that are slamming Trump will vote for him or whoever gets the Nomination because I have more faith in most of you that you won't cut your nose off to spite your face and that we know that whether we like it or not the situation has left us with no sane choice but to vote for whoever is nominated as the Republican for PREZ. I hope and pray so anyway.

    But just in case somebody may not have paid attention or had their poker night on the night of every debate, I think we need another...... DEBATE!

    Yep, that's what we need, another...OH HELL!!! Not another De..De..De...
    BATE!!!

    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:
    :deadhorse:

    Oh Good, now everything's all clear to me......

    And the winner is::win:

    :yikes::fan:

    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If the dems think Hilary is fatally flawed, they'll just dig up Lee Harvey Oswald and duct-tape that Carcano to his cold, dead hands. Then they'll go about grooming a last-minute replacement!
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,912 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The funny part is that to the general population it looks like off-the-cuff moves and decisions. This is an exceedingly planned and tightly orchestrated dance my friends. The great ones make it look casual.
    Yeah, I get a chuckle out of the "cowardly" crap. Trump has bigger balls than anyone in the room. It's damn near impossible to become a billionaire without big ones.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think we don't either (on here), especially those that rehash the same ole same ole and ain't one swinging Richard changed their mind on here that I can tell. Maybe a couple have resigned themselves to accept the inevitable and vote for him, others are on the Never Trump bandwagon which means Pantsuit/a DEM of some flavor gets to be our next POTUS....

    I don't flatter myself that I can change anyone's mind about anything. I generally accept that people will do what they want, and that is their right. I wouldn't want it any other way. I don't post to convince anyone of anything. I post to explain why I disagree with what is being represented as the consensus. I do exactly what I would do if I was sitting on a jury - examine the facts, and state my opinion of what those facts mean. If facts are not available, I try to evaluate character, trends, statistics, and other intangibles, to the extent that I am able to understand them. Then I make my best guess and hope I'm right.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement