Home Main Category Hunting

My LR Hunting RIFLE

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,229 Senior Member
Long Range Rifles, LLC: Stiller TAC300 Left-Hand action 8.5 T Brux #4 contour, 26 inch barrel, plus Long Range Rifles brake, chambered in 28 Nosler.
Throated for the 195 grain Berger Hybrids (Has an extended Wyatt's box).
Manners new lightweight hunter stock (EH-1 I think), Jewell trigger.
Gun weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces.
I don't have the dies or brass yet.
AC94BFEA-D807-4073-A960-FC5812E77D39_zps9ot5j8bt.jpg
ECC08B90-67B5-4BD3-A8A5-FE397AFD931B_zpsrebokdfn.jpg
4FBA98AD-4D1D-47C3-A5CC-CBDFA811FCFB_zps0yerqhpn.jpg
0FBB3126-5245-4E5B-86DD-5A7B90C20C33_zpsinfnxdus.jpg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It looks fast sitting still.

What are we hunting ?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
    Very nice, gotta love the left-handed action. Stiller is local to me, their shop is state of the art CNC equipment. I used to enjoy hanging at their shop watching the machines do their stuff and seeing works or art come to life. My last two custom rifles have Brux brother barrels, they build a great barrel!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,957 Senior Member
    Rifle looks awesome.........if the action wasn't defective.

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Impressive- - - -too bad the bolt's on the wrong side!
    Jerry
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,229 Senior Member
    Anything up through elk.

Muzzle Velocity with the 195 grain Berger should be just below 3100 feet per second.

With a 100 yard zero, and a MV of 3075 my drop at 1000 yards is 19.25 MOA with a 3.5 MOA correction for a 10 mph full value wind.

At first, I will be hunting steel out to 2100 yards, after I get a load developed:jester:
    early wrote: »
    It looks fast sitting still.

What are we hunting ?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • apb290apb290 New Member Posts: 24 New Member
    Looks very nice can't wait to see your scope on it. Great weight as well just over 10 pounds with your Kahles scope.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Anything up through elk.

Muzzle Velocity with the 195 grain Berger should be just below 3100 feet per second.

With a 100 yard zero, and a MV of 3075 my drop at 1000 yards is 19.25 MOA with a 3.5 MOA correction for a 10 mph full value wind.

At first, I will be hunting steel out to 2100 yards, after I get a load developed:jester:

How many inches is 19.25 MOA at 1000 yards?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    How many inches is 19.25 MOA at 1000 yards?

Hey bud, simple calculation on moa 19.25 X 1.047= 20.154" at 100 yards X10 for 1000 201.54"

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,893 Senior Member
    What are the holes on the sides of the front and rear of the stock for, a different sling set up?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    What are the holes on the sides of the front and rear of the stock for, a different sling set up?

Quick detachable sling swivels.

I knew MOA was close to 1 inch but couldn't remember exactly but at that range it is a substantial number. With that yardage The number on the right side of the decimal adds up. That's a little more than around 16.5 feet of hold over, or several times the depth of an animal's body.

A friend of mine had a long throated .284 Winchester built on that same action. It's a long action so he could put those long bullets seated way out in the magazine. His is a repeater, not a single shot. He had a 28" Krieger barrel put on it and it shoots Tiny groups. He also got some of those BIG SEVEN 190 grain Berger bullets for it. He calls it his Long Range Pig Gun. But I pissed him off when I told him I thought I could do about as well with my .280 with the 1:10 twist E.R. Shaw 26 inch barrel. He got all wound up. Hehehehe!

But now I got myself thinking, do ya think my rifle would stabilize 180 grain Bergers with that 1:10 Twist?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    But now I got myself thinking, do ya think my rifle would stabilize 180 grain Bergers with that 1:10 Twist?
    I don't think a 10T will stabilize the 180 Hybrid.
    Optimal twist is 1-8, but I know for a fact a 1-9 will work. I seriously doubt a 10 will work-Sorry.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Snake,
    Looked at Hodgdon's online load data for the 280 Rem, with a 24" barrel and even with a properly twisted barrel a 175 grain bullet MV is max around 2580.
    Say 2550 fps for a 180 grain Hybrid with my atmospheric conditions: 100 yard zero gives a 30.50 MOA drop for 1K and 5.0 MOA for a 10 mph FV wind.
    Or 320 inches of drop and 53.1" of drift
    This will give you a basic comparison of the two cartridges.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    My time has been time has been consumed with other things today, so I wanted to say, "Thanks!" to those who have been answering questions.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    For a time, I will have Cold Shot MOAB mount on this rifle, so I can extend my distance as far as I desire.
    http://www.coldshotusa.com/
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I don't think a 10T will stabilize the 180 Hybrid.
    Optimal twist is 1-8, but I know for a fact a 1-9 will work. I seriously doubt a 10 will work-Sorry.
    What about 175s?
    What about 175s?

I shoot 180's out of my .300 WSM 1:10 brux barrel and it's nail driver. The previous 1:11.25 twist barrel was a nail driver as well or 180's.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    My time has been time has been consumed with other things today, so I wanted to say, "Thanks!" to those who have been answering questions.
    Busy in the Dept of Redundancy Dept?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Very nice rig, Ernie! As a fellow lefty, I can definitely appreciate the fuctional excellence of your purchase. The round choice definitely has a lot of potential for your long range work. That .28 is flipping fast with such a relatively heavy bullet!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Busy in the Dept of Redundancy Dept?

Ministry/people focus
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    She is a purty one purty one. Hope she shoots for ya.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    She is a purty one purty one. Hope she shoots for ya.
    I would be shocked if it doesn't shoot great.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Very nice rig, Ernie! As a fellow lefty, I can definitely appreciate the functional excellence of your purchase. The round choice definitely has a lot of potential for your long range work. That .28 is flipping fast with such a relatively heavy bullet!

I really like it for the lack of wind drift it has in comparison to other cartridge/bullet combinations:agree:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I shoot 180's out of my .300 WSM 1:10 brux barrel and it's nail driver. The previous 1:11.25 twist barrel was a nail driver as well or 180's.

Snake's 10T is a 7mm, and I would not be hopeful. Only way to know for sure is try it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    Very nice thunder stick. What will you use the rail on the forestock for?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Atlas bi-pod and the Joy-Pod
    http://sebrests-usa.com/
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Snake's 10T is a 7mm, and I would not be hopeful. Only way to know for sure is try it.
    I thought I had another post on this, but can't find it. Anyway, thanks Ernie, I wanted to say, I Really want to find the heaviest High BC bullet that will stabilize in my rifle. I want to keep the 1:10 twist because shoot lighter bullets without over stabilizing them. I guess I want my cake and eat it too, But I doubt I'll shoot at anything at a thousand yards, but maybe I'll find a place where I can practice and get proficient enough to where I can reliably kill stuff at around 500-600 yards. I remember when I showed somebody that rifle they called it a Bean Field Rifle. So I guess now I can make it one.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,957 Senior Member
    .......maybe I'll find a place where I can practice and get proficient enough to where I can reliably kill stuff at around 500-600 yards.

Conquer 100..........then work your way out.

Couldn't resist.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Conquer 100..........then work your way out.

Couldn't resist.

:nono:
    Couple things to consider that hasn't been discussed when it comes to shooting 180 gr bullets out of a .300 Win Mag. First, I'm sure there are many factors as to why barrels with the same twist like/dislike heavier bullets such as the 180 gr we've been discussing. Not all 180 gr bullets are the same shape and dimensions and thus stabilize differently out the same twist. We've also been focusing solely on twist but there is also bore diameter. On my .300 WSM I shot a .298 tight bore on my Bartlein 1:11.25 twist barrel and my new Brux has a .301 bore diameter 1:10 twist. Both barrels loved the 180 gr bullets (Barnes triple shock and Combine technology ballistic tips). I've never tried to shoot anything heavier as I shoot factory ammo in this rifle. I travel too much to reload! My Fed Premium 180 Gr Barnes triple shock ammo shoots in the .5's all day long and is what I'll be using on my Wyoming Buffalo hunt this fall.

Thoughts?