How do anti gun politicians get elected?

HummerHummer MemberPosts: 53 Member
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm This gov't website says there are 14.8 Million union members.

The NRA reports 5 Million Members.

Who did the Unions support 8 years ago? approximately 130 million votes cast.

Who did the Unions support 4 years ago.? approximately 127 million votes cast.

Who are the Unions supporting this time?

What if the NRA had 14.8 million members?

I just read where it is estimated 200 million citizens own guns.

Food for thought: If gun owners only voted for pro gun candidates ................................
Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma Teams, US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground. Charter Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn. NRA Benefactor, Shriner, AC4HT

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    They would be he low info, brain washed sheeple! Not to forget the residents of the local cemetery!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    They have a "D" behind their name which equates to an automatic huge percentage of the minority vote blindly ... heck you could run a dead guy for office with a "D" behind his name in many place and get 1/3 of the votes easy ... San Francisco, LA, NYC, etc.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,065 Senior Member
    Hummer wrote: »
    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm This gov't website says there are 14.8 Million union members.

The NRA reports 5 Million Members.

Who did the Unions support 8 years ago? approximately 130 million votes cast.

Who did the Unions support 4 years ago.? approximately 127 million votes cast.

Who are the Unions supporting this time?

What if the NRA had 14.8 million members?

I just read where it is estimated 200 million citizens own guns.

Food for thought: If gun owners only voted for pro gun candidates ................................

Although I don't know Mrs. Hockley (google her) well, I met her a few times prior to Sandy Hook.

She is a nice lady and means well. Her loss is real. Her pain is real. She is a compelling speaker on behalf of those who view the Bristish/Irish model of gun control as a "solution." (little Dylan was British)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,407 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    heck you could run a dead guy for office with a "D" behind his name- - - - - -

Of course- - - -half the people voting for him are his neighbors in the graveyard!

:roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    [url]
    Food for thought: If gun owners only voted for pro gun candidates ..............................[/url]

It would be nice if the world were that simple. . .

We don't need a "National Mouth Association" to protect the First Amendment. That one seems simple enough for even the lowliest knuckle-dragger to grasp the importance of.

People will inevitable act for their own security - and on the day-to-day, most easily visible surface, that means the shortest path to the immediate paycheck, food in the belly, and roof over the head. If someone is offering to help solve those problems for you, in an apparent case of getting something for little or nothing, many won't look more closely at the cost. Unfortunately, the cost is that labor unions have become so intrinsically linked with Nanny State candidates that gun control is usually part of the package.

The NRA and satellite groups would do well to more actively present the Second Amendment as a HUMAN RIGHTS issue - a clause that protects against ALL thugs; both random AND official. We haven't really had a Hitler, Mao, or Stalin equivalent in the U.S., and as such, have an unfortunate attitude of "can't happen here", and it's that head-in-the-sand attitude that needs to be adjusted.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    The NRA would have a lot more members if they had different levels of annual membership. The current, existing level is chock full of benefits, from insurance to the magazine subscription, to the signing-bonus gift they send just for joining. Right now, the 1 year membership is $25 (due to increase soon) and the 3 year deal is $70. For many, that's a lot of money, especially in Obama's economy, and especially after being screwed, blued and tattooed paying outrageous prices for guns.

Howsabout a 'value membership' with none of the insurance benefits, no signing-bonus gift, no board of directors ballot, and just an E-magazine sent to your inbox instead of the printed copy sent to your mailbox. They could offer that for $10 or $15 dollars a year. And where now only gun manufacturers can offer a free NRA membership with the purchase of a firearm (because they are soooo overpriced), with a lower membership price point, companies that make and sell ammo, optics, clothing and accessories, would also be able to offer free memberships with a reasonable purchase.

It's a numbers game, and the one with the biggest numbers wins.

How do anti-gun politicians get elected? That's easy. "Democracy is the pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H.L. Mencken
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Most democrats are like most republicans. They vote for a letter no matter what.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,197 Senior Member
    Most democrats are like most republicans. They vote for a letter no matter what.
    Yep. I am more likely to vote for an A rated Democrat than a D rated Republican. Some folks are so blindly loyal to their party, they forget about the other stuff.

And that's what you're supposed to do in general elections. General elections are STRATEGIC - they are won by PARTIES not candidates. It doesn't matter how good your candidate is - if his PARTY doesn't win the White House and especially a majority in the Congress, he will have absolutely nothing to do, nothing to say, and his calls won't be returned. ONLY the WINNING party gets to govern - gets to control the agenda, the committees and sub-committees, confirm the judges and other appointments, and ratify the treaties. The LOSING party and EVERYBODY in it might as well be on the moon.

The time to vote for individuals is during the primary elections -primaries are TACTICAL. Then and ONLY then do individuals matter. I know, lots of well-meaning daddies dutifully informed and inadvertently screwed up their kids teaching them that it's important to vote for the man not the party. All that does is pass cluelessness along from one generation to the next.

General Elections are numbers games. They're about the winning of a governing majority, by which a PARTY pursues the acquisition, consolidation, projection, extension, and retention of power. Once again, no matter how good your particular candidate is, if his PARTY doesn't win, he loses. And if your favorite candidate is a good guy who just happens to belong to the wrong party, more often than not, he will vote with his party leadership and against your interests.
    :yawn:
    Then there is the fact that there are so many people pissed off at their party, they are trying to nominate the "anti-establishment" guy. On both sides.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Then there is the fact that there are so many people pissed off at their party, they are trying to nominate the "anti-establishment" guy. On both sides.

Doesn't matter. They are still an R vs D. Must be a good body politic, and vote how we're supposed to.
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes, exactly. Look how Paul Ryan and the rest of the republicans stuck it to the democrats and Obama on his spending bill earlier this year.
    Oh. Wait. That's right. They didn't. They ed US in the .

It felt better because it was done by Rs.
    As bad as the Rs have been on lots of issues, they have been good to us about gun rights. All the evil schemes of the Ds have so far come to naught. So for that, at least, we're better off with them than without them. As for them not standing up to Obama, and cowering before the press, there are movements in both parties to overthrow "the establishment" - and we should be happy to work for that. For if we win that fight, we end up with Rs that will not be Rs in name only.
    horselips wrote: »
    As bad as the Rs have been on lots of issues, they have been good to us about gun rights. All the evil schemes of the Ds have so far come to naught. So for that, at least, we're better off with them than without them. As for them not standing up to Obama, and cowering before the press, there are movements in both parties to overthrow "the establishment" - and we should be happy to work for that. For if we win that fight, we end up with Rs that will not be Rs in name only.
    Yes, but mindlessly voting for the R got us here in the first place. You don't think black folks are taken for granted because they mindlessly support the Democrats? It is extremely easy for us to see that from the outside looking in. Republicans are doing the exact same thing to their groups of constituents but they are too blind to see it.

Time to leave the Republican plantation! Well maybe not, not like the Democrats have anything to offer, but I want them to know that if they actually do support some of our causes, there is a chance that I may listen to them. Blindly pulling the R lever doesn't give me that leverage.
    You get that desired leverage by pulling the lever for a rebel or an outsider.

T R U M P
    Rebel & Outsider
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,525 Senior Member
    By Hummer How do anti gun politicians get elected?

actual answer;

They are anti gun by action. When they run they are pro gun until they get your vote, they they revert to what they were.

You take it from there.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,525 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    T R U M P
    Rebel & Outsider
    Simple question. If anyone else had been involved heavily in funding campaigns for decades and had RUN FOR OFFICE, would he still be a outsider or another politician?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HummerHummer Member Posts: 53 Member
    Don't know about Republicans in your areas but here in SC it is not healthy to be anti gun if you want to get re=elected.
    Distinguished Rifleman High Power & Smallbore Prone, Presidents Hundred (Rifle), US Palma Teams, US Dewar Teams. Certified Small Arms and Ammunition Test Director Aberdeen Proving Ground. Charter Member Int Wound Ballistics Assn. NRA Benefactor, Shriner, AC4HT
    Don't know about Republicans in your areas but here in SC it is not healthy to be anti gun if you want to get re=elected.
    Nor should it be. And it shouldn't be for Democrats either. 2A is a basic human rights issue. The act of being alive-- grants a human, a squirrel, a fish, or a mushroom the right to defend its own life. Some say it is a God given right, others say it is a natural law. Regardless, suppressing the Second Amendment is undeniably suppressing the right to defend your own life. I got issues with anyone that says otherwise-- something so basic. It is like having a discussion over people's right to breathe.
    Butt Jerm has every right to exhale-- just as you do. You need to respect that natural right. You don't hear Butt Jerm complaining that you are inhaling his air do you? He respects your rights.

https://youtu.be/mrojrDCI02k?t=2m30s
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Butt Jerm has every right to exhale-- just as you do. You need to respect that natural right. You don't hear Butt Jerm complaining that you are inhaling his air do you? He respects your rights.

https://youtu.be/mrojrDCI02k?t=2m30s

EEEUUUUWWWHHH~~~~~~~ That's GROSS! I bet the air was a bit thick in that truck!

:yikes::fan::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    It would be nice if the world were that simple. . .

We don't need a "National Mouth Association" to protect the First Amendment. That one seems simple enough for even the lowliest knuckle-dragger to grasp the importance of.

People will inevitable act for their own security - and on the day-to-day, most easily visible surface, that means the shortest path to the immediate paycheck, food in the belly, and roof over the head. If someone is offering to help solve those problems for you, in an apparent case of getting something for little or nothing, many won't look more closely at the cost. Unfortunately, the cost is that labor unions have become so intrinsically linked with Nanny State candidates that gun control is usually part of the package.

The NRA and satellite groups would do well to more actively present the Second Amendment as a HUMAN RIGHTS issue - a clause that protects against ALL thugs; both random AND official. We haven't really had a Hitler, Mao, or Stalin equivalent in the U.S., and as such, have an unfortunate attitude of "can't happen here", and it's that head-in-the-sand attitude that needs to be adjusted.

I agree with all of the above and I believe we are thus prime for disaster.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    They have a "D" behind their name which equates to an automatic huge percentage of the minority vote blindly ... heck you could run a dead guy for office with a "D" behind his name in many place and get 1/3 of the votes easy ... San Francisco, LA, NYC, etc.

I agree mostly but I think you meant the Majority vote blindly. And many within this majority are college educated asleep at the wheel numb nutted sheeple. It amazes me how some people supposedly smart enough to get a college degree can be so DUMB! Makes me think there actually might be something more to intelligence besides being able to read and do math problems.
  • HummerHummer Member Posts: 53 Member
    Snake 284, you sure said a mouthful then and right on. I was 24 when I started college so had a little street history and I could not believe what would come out of some kids mouths. I had one professor, he was a retired Marine Colonel and was anti gun. I almost flunked his political science class because I wrote pro gun papers ! !! ! !
    "oh if there were no guns no one would be killed" ="if there were no drug laws there would be no drugs"
    Do you ever watch Watters World on Fox? He interviews some of the exact ones you are describing ! ! ! !!

I know your problem, just noticed you are Texas so that means WE got brung up right! ! ! haha:hug:
    Amen to a Texas Up bringing, you can do a lot worse, that's for sure. We were in church on Sunday morning and on Wednesday night. We had curfews we had to obey and we didn't have our own phone or Television. We had one phone and one TV per house. First thing you did when you got home was homework and my mother was a teacher so fat chance of me gettin out of it. My parents didn't have to worry about whether the movie or television show we were watching was G or PG or PG-13 or R or whatever because everything was G. I wasn't around yet when Clark Cable said the word Damn on screen but it was still fresh on his lips and believe me, that was a big deal. My how times have changed!!!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,065 Senior Member
    Simple question. If anyone else had been involved heavily in funding campaigns for decades and had RUN FOR OFFICE, would he still be a outsider or another politician?

Just like Bloomberg wasn't a Republican, Trump is a Big Government New Yorker masquerading as simething else. He will sell our 2A rights out in a heartbeat.