Home Main Category Hunting

Pig Killing!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,957 Senior Member
Back in 2012, I went antelope hunting with Ernie. Plan was to trade off and he'd come hog hunting with me some day. Unfortunately, due to my travels and fluctuating hog populations, it took us 4 years to get our pig killing on. But, it finally came to fruition.

Just about the time we planed on the hunt, I had a new farmer contact me about a couple crop fields he was having hog trouble with. He showed me the location and the damage they were causing. Upwards of $18k worth of damage!!! Asked if I could help.............who am I to turn down a man in need?

Ernie was supposed to arrive Wednesday morning, but a "winter" storm blew in and shut down the Denver Airport. Making him scrabble and deal with a couple canceled flights. After all the smoke, or snow, cleared.......he wasn't due to arrive until almost midnight on Wednesday. 12 hours later than originally planned.

I'd already told the farmer that we would be hunting Wednesday evening and night, so he was expecting us. Not wanting to have excuses for the farmer on our first night, I went ahead and hunted one of the properties Wednesday evening and planned to pick Ernie up afterwards when his plane arrived. Then, we would head over to the other field and hunt there the rest of the night.

Arriving at the smaller of the two fields about an hour before dark, I sat and waited. Of course.......being pigs.......they never showed in daylight. But, about 30 minutes after dark, a HUGE boar came out of the trees 600 yards away. making his way across a cattle pasture, he entered the wheat field. I texted Ernie that a big pig had showed up and while he was changing planes in Salt Lake and that he'd better hurry up!

The wheat was so tall that I could only see the boar's back. But, as he made his way across the field, he reached a spot where the wheat was a little shorter. Trying to figure out where I was going to shoot him, he lifted his head above the wheat............and..........at 250 yards..........I put a 105gr A-Max from my .243 Winchester in his skull between his left eye and ear as he stood broadside. 1 down.

I walked across the field and arrived at his location just as I noticed another boar entering the wheat. I watched his back as he took the same route the first boar had. Directly towards me! At about 50 yards, he raised his head above the wheat and..........resting on top of a fence post..........I sent another A-Max into a pig's skull right above his left eye. Down went #2.

Ernie%20Hunt%20%207%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsvrqcqame.jpg

After taking these pictures, I packed up my gear and looked to my left. There........about 100 yards away.........were 8-10 pigs feeding in the wheat. Leaving quietly, I left to get Ernie at the airport. We........would return.

Picked Ernie up at midnight and headed to the larger field. Unfortunately, we arrived at the same time a huge thunder storm did. With heavy winds, strong rain, and light hail...........there was no entering the field. We couldn't win for losing with the weather!

We drove back to the smaller field and waited until 3:30 in the morning for the storm to pass. With clear skies overhead and a full moon..........we looked across the wheat field and located the band of pigs I'd left there earlier. What followed was a cat and mouse game of sneaking closer.......setting up on a fence post.........the pigs moving away and losing sight of them in the wheat. Sneaking closer......setting up......and them moving away into the wheat.

FINALLY, we got within 50 yards and Ernie set up. Of course, nothing can be easy. Ernie was shooting my .308 "Short" rifle. Yes.....a rifle. To top it off........due to the configuration of the fence.....he had to shoot right handed even though he was a lefty. Fun times. And he pulled it off. I told him which pig was the biggest in the bunch. I didn't set up for a shot myself. Figuring the pigs would run away into the wheat field and be obscured. As Ernie's hog turned broadside, he shot him with a 168gr A-Max out of my .308 Winchester rifle and dropped him on the spot. The field erupted with running pigs. Except........they didn't run deeper into the field. They exited and ran across the cattle pasture. Presenting me a shot. So, I dropped to a sitting position, picked out a big sow, and shot her as she entered the brush on the other side of the pasture. The hog Ernie shot turned out to be another nice boar.

Ernie%20Hunt%20%2011%20-%20Copy_zpsghi3emua.jpg

Being 4;30 AM..........we called it quits for the night and got home to my house about 6 in the morning.

What followed were two more days of day time shooting on the range and night time shooting of hogs. With little sleep in between. It was a whirlwind of fun and pig killing.

By day, we would go to my gun club and shoot (the "Ernie shooting the Frankenruger" thread from Hoggin was at my club). Then, we would spend all night hunting pigs to help the farmer save his crops.

This was just pig killing. We didn't take the bodies. We just shot them, chased the bands off the fields.........and looked for more. All in all, we shot 12 hogs in 3 nights. Saw probably 100+/- in all...........and I still have my work cut out for me. It's a tough life.

Here is a photo collage of some of our pigs. Big.........small........and in between.

Day%203%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%2022%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsdgskz6ti.jpg

Day%202%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%203%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsb0xw47iv.jpg

Day%203%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%2010%20-%20Copy_zpsn1urpxpu.jpg

Day%202%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%2010%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpsqrm4wwrw.jpg

Day%203%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%206%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zps6jtykq5y.jpg

Day%202%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%202%20-%20Copy_zpsmpwpopf7.jpg

And my favorite...........and the only one that ended up in my freezer............

Day%203%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%2015%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy_zpserurs0bs.jpg
Day%203%20Ernie%20Hunt%203-16%2012%20-%20Copy_zpstdhhuivy.jpg

It was a good time. I used my .243 Winchester and the 105gr A-Max the whole time. Ernie used my .308 Winchester and 168gr A-Max ammo. Shots were far and static............close and synchronized (two at a time), and running flat out.

A good experience for Ernie, I believe and a wonderful time for me. To share with a friend a little of what I do. We had a great time and look forward to doing it again.

The pigs ain't going away.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,957 Senior Member
    Here are the tusks from a boar Ernie and I shot together that I boiled tonight.

IMG_5280_zpssjdgl1ig.jpg

I'll be boiling the tusks from my first boar as well in a few days. My family wasn't pleased with the smell in the kitchen.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,229 Senior Member
    I can't believe you boiled those in the house....Wait a minute, I'm NOT that surprised:jester:
    Words cannot describe how much FUN I had. Good memories that will last for a long time.
    I was definitely outside my box (This was not a negative), like shooting a rifle (3-O-Late) I had never fired before, standing, from a very shaky fence post, and right-handed to boot.
    That was just the beginning of the fun.
    Sort of feels weird not stalking or running around in a field right now.
    The flight home was on schedule and uneventful for which I am very grateful for.
    I'm heading to bed now. Busy morning tomorrow, with 3 families coming over to our house after worship for a meal.
    Thanks Zee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hey, first shot from an unknown rifle in your offhand in the dark at a moving target.............and dropped him.

You took every challenge in stride like a champ! Well done!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,216 Senior Member
    That looks like you guys had a great time. Is little Wilber going in the oven this morning? He is the perfect size for that. I roasted a 40 pound pig in my oven last summer and it was awesome! I am looking forward to doing another this year.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Man that looks like a great time. Nice shootin to you both. Awesome write up as usual Zee.
    I even got to use Zee's special cup.
    I was told he uses this one primarily when he has his kilt on:jester:
    26D67B95-930C-4A21-AAB7-2F69CA36F06A_zpsxbtlheet.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
    Great job, looked like lots of fun and nice big piggies with the exceptions of a couple change purses as we call them! I may have missed it, where were y'all hunting!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Zee really didn't say where:jester:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,882 Senior Member
    Nicely done...both of you...I'm envious
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Wow!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Way to go, fellas! Go back and do it again as soon as you can! From a wildlife biology standpoint feral hogs are the most damaging organism we have in the woods...the radical Islam of the animal world!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Way to go, fellas! Go back and do it again as soon as you can! From a wildlife biology standpoint feral hogs are the most damaging organism we have in the woods...the radical Islam of the animal world!

There's an idea, pen catch all the ferals we can and do a "Wilber Drop" over all the "-stans", Syria, etc (especially if the sows were pregnant) and let them over run ISIS, al qaeda, etc. Send the "pig bomb" over there ....
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That looks like you guys had a great time. Is little Wilber going in the oven this morning? He is the perfect size for that. I roasted a 40 pound pig in my oven last summer and it was awesome! I am looking forward to doing another this year.

Not today. But, I'll likely pick your brain when I do. Give me some suggestions and pointers.
    Man that looks like a great time. Nice shootin to you both. Awesome write up as usual Zee.

Thanks much. It was fun.
    Way to go, fellas! Go back and do it again as soon as you can!

I'll be heading back out there a couple more times this week. More pigs to kill!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Nothing... but.. awesome!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    Like said Excellent write up.
    Amazing how those things populate and take over an area. Good job taking the numbers down a little.
    Amazing how those target bullets perform for you
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Like said Excellent write up.
    Amazing how those things populate and take over an area. Good job taking the numbers down a little.
    Amazing how those target bullets perform for you

Thanks.

A typical encounter would go as such:

Locate a heard off in the distance. The herd usually comprised of a boar, 1-3 sows, and 5-20 piglets & shoats.
    Stalk within reasonable distance.
    Set up to shoot sitting or prone.
    Execute a synchronized shot on two separate pigs.
    Shoot the remaining big pigs as they ran away if possible.

If it was a solo boar (happened on two occasions), we would stalk him and conduct a synchronized shot on him. Hitting him with both bullets at the same time. Just because it's fun and good practice. Not that they take two bullets.

Often, the piglets and some shoats would get away. But, taking out the baby factories and big boars at least slows down the reproduction rate. There were some groups and boars that we weren't able to stalk in time before they moved off. So, some big ones got away as well.

Just means.............I get to play more.

:guns:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,893 Senior Member
    That looks like it was well worth the lack of sleep, have you shot Jerm's proprietary load into a pig yet?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    That looks like it was well worth the lack of sleep, have you shot Jerm's proprietary load into a pig yet?

Yes. I killed two hogs with it back in the fall. Flattened them with authority!

I need to load some more ammo for it. I'm out.........unfortunately.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,893 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Yes. I killed two hogs with it back in the fall. Flattened them with authority!

I need to load some more ammo for it. I'm out.........unfortunately.

Thanks, I could not remember back that far.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Here is a top view of the tusks I posted earlier.

IMG_5289_zpswc12ymg5.jpg

And here are the tusks from the big one I shot first on Wednesday evening that I just finished boiling.

IMG_5286_zpsjbsilfd0.jpg

IMG_5288_zpsldxyykd1.jpg

It's cool to see the difference between the two boars in both snout shape and tooth design. The one crisscrosses and the other follows symmetrical lines.
    I could never bet away with boiling those inside the house.
    Luckily I have a good outdoor burner.
    The longer snout and crossed teeth usually means more Russian blood in them?

Until you started posting about pigs I always thought you only had smaller Javellina in your area.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,350 Senior Member
    I even got to use Zee's special cup.
    I was told he uses this one primarily when he has his kilt on:jester:
    26D67B95-930C-4A21-AAB7-2F69CA36F06A_zpsxbtlheet.jpg

OMGosh wait until I tell my wife they have an "Outlander" cup out! She'll want one with Jamie in his kilt!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I could never bet away with boiling those inside the house.
    Luckily I have a good outdoor burner.
    The longer snout and crossed teeth usually means more Russian blood in them?

Until you started posting about pigs I always thought you only had smaller Javellina in your area.

Yeah. The wife is NOT happy that I just did the second one. I've been told I can NEVER do that in the house again. Guess I need to get a gas burner for outside.

I don't buy the whole "Russian" boar thing. Unless you have them in high fence game ranches with controlled breeding or released canned hunts.............these pigs breed so prolifically that any and all "pure" Russian Boar blood has been thinned out LOOOOOOOOOOOONG ago.

These are straight up mongrel feral hogs. Just as with people, facial features, body mechanics, hair color, and all the rest just vary from individual pig to individual pig. But, they are all just feral.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    How do you cut off the front of the jaws? Hack saw?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,216 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Not today. But, I'll likely pick your brain when I do. Give me some suggestions and pointers.
    I brined mine for a couple of days in a cooler before roasting. Oven, 325 degrees until he seemed done (mine took about 6 hours). JB's idea of basting with peppermint schnapps is a good one too. One of these days, I am going to make a pig roaster because I would love to do a 150+ pounder.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I brined mine for a couple of days in a cooler before roasting. Oven, 325 degrees until he seemed done (mine took about 6 hours). JB's idea of basting with peppermint schnapps is a good one too. One of these days, I am going to make a pig roaster because I would love to do a 150+ pounder.

http://www.lacajachina.com/

These pig roaster are very popular down here.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    How do you cut off the front of the jaws? Hack saw?

D

Skin the snout and hide off the face and then cut through the skull with a regular wood saw. Bone is easy. The teeth (molars) are rather tough to cut through. The bigger of the two gave us quite a workout. Ernie holding the snout and me working the saw. It was a MOTHER!!

This one is small enough to fit in a gallon freezer bag when all balled up. I'll probably stuff him with veggies and stuffing, cover him with spices and brown sugar, wrap him in foil, and stuff him in the oven.

325 still work for one this small?

I still have that stock you sent me. I can pour that on him as well. No?