How do you adjust your powder measure??

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,750 Senior Member
With my old Lyman 55, I adjust, dispense, weigh, return charge to the hopper and repeat until I get it dialed in. Then, instead of trusting just a single charge, I throw multiple charges into the scale pan, weigh and divide by the number of charges to see what it's averaging.

An example, loaded some 10mm this evening with some of the Fed 135gr EFMJs I bought recently. I wanted 12.0gr of Blue Dot (mid-range per Nosler (11.5-12.5gr). Measure was adjusted to 10.0gr for 45ACP, so I adjusted it where it dropped a 12.0gr charge. Returned that to the hopper, ran the dispenser as close to how I do when loading 5 times into the pan.
Total weight was 59.8gr for an 11.96gr average.

I called it close enough and proceeded to load my ammo.

So, When you're changing loads, how to you adjust your powder measure? Just 1 charge? multiples?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    I'll adjust, make about ten throws, check weight on one charge, and repeat until I get it dialed in. When it's dialed in I'll throw five charges, and see what the spread is. If I'm within a tenth of a gram, I say that's good. I'll then check every ten or twenty primed cases to make sure nothing gets wonky.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,099 Senior Member
    Those Lyman#55s are good measures, have the little tassel/flapper/tapper don't they to lift and drop to make sure each charge is completely out? I used to have one, but sold it on a PCS move overseas. I kept reloading until just before I flew and sold it all a month after household goods where picked up.

Well it depends on what measure I'm using. Uniflow the same as you more or less. Dillon a knob/shaft sliding bar until I get what I want and Lee Disks I pick a number from the chart, find that disk and align the number I want to use, drop a few to see what they throw. Usually lighter than the chart so I go up one hole cavity and verify on a scale like the rest with periodic checks.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    One good think about using loading blocks is you can drop the powder charge and get a visual that all the charges are about the same, not a weight but once you have what you want set to drop, they should all be the same level. A good way to tell you indeed dropped a charge. A flashlight helps.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,750 Senior Member
    Actually, it's my understanding that the "flapper", as you call it, it to make sure the powder's consistently in the charge drum. I hit it twice before dropping every load.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

They call it a knocker now. Mine was Orange in the 80s. Has a baffle now too.

I guess you could use the knocker to knock powder in and out the drop tube if any of your charges were clumping or sticking. :tooth:

Looks like they have improved/upgraded them over the years.

I wish i'd have kept that one I had. I sold it with a Lyman press kit as a PKG deal.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure
    Mine's old enough it still has "Ideal" on it
    "Lyman Ideal" 55"

knitepoet wrote: »
    Mine's old enough it still has "Ideal" on it
    "Lyman Ideal" 55"

Quick ebay Vintage Lyman

Cool.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Quick ebay Vintage Lyman

Cool.
    Why? It does what I need it to do, if I sold it I'd have to replace with a newer (cheaper built probably) one

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    i do the same if i can get 10 throws in my pan. If not, i will just get as much as possible. the 10 throws is easier on my brain - easier to divide by 10 - dont need to break out my HP.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Why? It does what I need it to do, if I sold it I'd have to replace with a newer (cheaper built probably) one

I was making an eBay lets make some money and eBay everything remark..........I know replacement would cost more.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,252 Senior Member
    I punch the number in on my Chargemaster and run with it. It sucks I tell you!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,955 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

For rifle loads, my life is just as difficult as Jerm's. It's intense, I tell you...

Now, for large volume pistol load production, I do something very similar to what Paul does, except I simply use the Chargemaster as a scale and hit the "ZERO" button after dumping each of, say 4 thrown charges from my Dillon progressive into the scale pan. I don't do a formal average because once it's running, variance is all but nill.

With most pistol powders, if the powder system has been "dry cycled" with power in the hopper - that is, cycled with no case to activate the powder release and throw the powder into - the first couple charges with be a few tenths hot. If you do this, which is normal when setting up a test round for seating, crimping, etc. - the Dillon powder bar thrower usually just needs 2-3 charges actively thrown to settle. Once it's set up and running, the sucker runs spot on unless you let the volume of powder in the hopper get very low. At that point, it may go over by a tenth or two. You can simply adjust that variance out if you have no more powder to add, within the limits of not loading squibs, of course.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,305 Senior Member
    Rifle I punch buttons. Pistol I select which Lee auto disk I need and go. I will operate a few times and weigh each charge just to be sure though. When I was using an rcbs measure, I would operate it a few times double checking weight. Then occasionally during reloading.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Have you noticed most new measures have Baffles and better adjustment bars/knobs than before.

That does it, I'm gonna pull out my Lyman1200 DPS I inherited from my late brother. It has some aftermarket upgrade called Mister something or the other with it. I used it a few times in the past with some kit with funnel drops for different calibers. I lost interest and just never got back to using it.

I didn't read the instructions the very good first time I used it and had powder all over the place, didn't use the cutoff or something :yikes: :rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Maybe that Mister whatever was for the Dillon 550, the Lyman has something aftermarket, though???
    On my OLD electric powder dispenser, it has to be "calibrated" to each powder, and is SLOWWWWWWWWW, so I only use it when precision is my goal (rifle ammo)
    Also, it flat out plays BADLY with ball powders and not so great with flakes, so any time I'm using one of those types of powders, the 55 gets the call

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,695 Senior Member
    I adjust my vintage Lyman 55 just like you do, Paul. I let the knocker hit twice before dropping a powder charge to make sure it is in the drop chamber correctly. Rifle rounds go through my electronic measure now. Pistol rounds, or non precision rounds can go through the Lyman 55, just like a "bushing" I used to use when using a MEC Jr. to drop Red Dot into shotgun shells. If I am not pushing limits, close is close enough.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

^THIS^