Home Main Category Hunting

Deer hunters face unwanted competition as feral hog explosion thins herds

Replies

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Huh. I have had some spook as soon as they see the trap, or just for what seems like no reason. Not going to argue your experience, though

I guess hogs are like people, not all of them are as smart as others. I'm sure most will avoid a trap once caught, but others learn the lesson the hard way. We've had pics of hogs feeding around the trap with another hog caught inside. Again, not the brightest group out there.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I never heard them called gentlemen...plenty I've seen won't remove their hat indoors or in the presence of a lady. Both are just common courtesy gestures.

In my limited experience, ranchers are just like everyone else. Some are good people with the good manners, others not so much. I've met both kinds.

Not all are rich, either. I know of one who lives in a house that most wouldn't consider putting their sorriest in-laws in. During dry years, they amass huge debts, and sell low because everyone else is, too. Then, when things get better, demand is high and supply is low, so they have to buy high.

Of course, it's not always that way. There's good years as well. Regardless, a lot of 'em depend on income from hunters to make ends meet.

So tell me this. If you had a product or service you could sell that reaped huge profits, especially one that wasn't essential to your clientele's livelihood, wouldn't you maximize your profits?

Not really trying to start a rich rancher debate. I'm simply trying to point out that all is not as perceived.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    In my limited experience, ranchers are just like everyone else. Some are good people with the good manners, others not so much. I've met both kinds.

Not all are rich, either. I know of one who lives in a house that most wouldn't consider putting their sorriest in-laws in. During dry years, they amass huge debts, and sell low because everyone else is, too. Then, when things get better, demand is high and supply is low, so they have to buy high.

Of course, it's not always that way. There's good years as well. Regardless, a lot of 'em depend on income from hunters to make ends meet.

So tell me this. If you had a product or service you could sell that reaped huge profits, especially one that wasn't essential to your clientele's livelihood, wouldn't you maximize your profits?

Not really trying to start a rich rancher debate. I'm simply trying to point out that all is not as perceived.

On the other hand, if someone's willing to eliminate (or reduce) a detriment to your livelihood, maybe you shouldn't try to charge them for the privilege.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    toymachine wrote: »
    On the other hand, if someone's willing to eliminate (or reduce) a detriment to your livelihood, maybe you shouldn't try to charge them for the privilege.

Would you translate that into English, please? I have no idea what you mean.
    Jerry

Would you translate that into English, please? I have no idea what you mean.

The rancher complains about hogs damaging his property.

Hunter offers to kill hogs, ending damage to property.

Maybe Rancher accept help? No try to charge outrageous fee?

Thosd words small enough?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,139 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I saw in the news that 2 Green Anacondas were caught in Brevard County, if they think Pythons are a problem, wait until they have to deal with something that can eat a calf.
    My wife's gonna just LOVE that!!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Texas has always had a pretty good attitude toward hogs.

Shoot em all. Let the hunters and scavengers sort em out.

Amen to this. Seasons? Bag Limits? Gimme a Break!!! We're trying to control the population of one of the most Prolific Pest Mammals on the planet and we got people wanting to manage their mortality rate? I'll manage it, with a helicopter and a Ma Deuce! These egg headed bureaucrats need to go see the Wizard of Oz and get a brain!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    zorba wrote: »
    My wife's gonna just LOVE that!!

Back around 2009 in South Florida close to Miami, a TV Cable Technician got bit by a Green Mamba. I think that was in Fort Lauderdale. That's unreal. They guy survived because it wasn't a wet bite. But he got sicker n a dog and almost died I think.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,907 Senior Member
    Kansas did change the law that allows a landowner to legally shoot hogs on his property, not that anyone was doing it illegally. Course what do I know, I am just one of those rich ranchers living off the government.
    toymachine wrote: »
    The rancher complains about hogs damaging his property.

Hunter offers to kill hogs, ending damage to property.

Maybe Rancher accept help? No try to charge outrageous fee?

Thosd words small enough?

Thanks for clearing that up.

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I can't blame a landowner for wanting to get the most out of his property. If 'hunters' are stupid enough to pay to shoot pest animals, then more power to him. Otherwise, let him eat pork or establish his own control/eradication program. I've seen ads for prairie dog shoots running hundreds of dollars. If you've ever seen the damage those little buggers can do to otherwise good pasture land, you would probably wonder why any rancher in his right mind wouldn't welcome shooters and let them on his property for free. But, again, if someone's wiling to pay, why not take their money. It's a simple matter of economics. And, in some cases, it's a matter of economic survival.

To summarize, though, I was simply pointing out that there's two sides to this equation. Not every rancher is rich and greedy, and not every hunter is altruistic.
    Jerry

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,167 Senior Member
    From the ranchers I know, part of the reason they charge people is that people tend to treat something more seriously and respect it if they have some "skin in the game". People who pay for the access have a lower likelihood of trashing the place, littering, shooting feeders, leaving gates open, etc... If they pay to get in. People are funny- they treat things with more respect if they pay for them.

They either have to trust you implicitly with the source of their livelihood, or ask you to pay.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I can't blame a landowner for wanting to get the most out of his property. If 'hunters' are stupid enough to pay to shoot pest animals, then more power to him. Otherwise, let him eat pork or establish his own control/eradication program. I've seen ads for prairie dog shoots running hundreds of dollars. If you've ever seen the damage those little buggers can do to otherwise good pasture land, you would probably wonder why any rancher in his right mind wouldn't welcome shooters and let them on his property for free. But, again, if someone's wiling to pay, why not take their money.

While I agree for the most part, my point and the reason for the accusation of greed on the part of the Texas ranchers I've had experience with is the fees they were trying to get to shoot a pig. One game ranch that used to be outside of Weatherford around 25 years ago used to charge as much for a feral hog as they did for a corsican ram. Needless to say, hogs eventually took the place over and he went out of business. I think most folks that don't have regular access to feral hogs would pay fifty bucks a pig for the meat and sport and the rancher would sell a lot more pig hunts and get rid of lots more pigs that trying to sell pig hunts like some trophy deer.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member

I could show you a few ranchers who look like they should be standing in a soup line, and don't have 2 nickles to rub together....when in fact they are multi-millionaires. And they also look at Elk, Deer and Antelope like livestock that they can sell. And treat leased State land and Federal BLM like they own it. That wearing the cowboy hat 24/7 is ridiculous IMO. I'm not saying all ranchers are like what I described, but when they get any of my tax dollars to support their operations, I am concerned.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,063 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Back around 2009 in South Florida close to Miami, a TV Cable Technician got bit by a Green Mamba. .

In 2006 a Cobra was caught a between Matheson's Hammock and Fairchilds Garden

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,907 Senior Member
    I could show you a few ranchers who look like they should be standing in a soup line, and don't have 2 nickles to rub together....when in fact they are multi-millionaires. And they also look at Elk, Deer and Antelope like livestock that they can sell. And treat leased State land and Federal BLM like they own it. That wearing the cowboy hat 24/7 is ridiculous IMO. I'm not saying all ranchers are like what I described, but when they get any of my tax dollars to support their operations, I am concerned.
    I disagree with everything you say but I know I couldn't change your mind so I will quit with that. If I say what I would like to I might not get to hang around.
    Kansas hunter. I guess we can agree to disagree. I figured you to be a rancher. All I can say is that you don't know the ranchers I know.
    Kansas hunter. I guess we can agree to disagree. I figured you to be a rancher. All I can say is that you don't know the ranchers I know.

I've ran into both kinds. It seems to me that those west of the I25 corridor in Colorado are a whole lot less likely to let you have access to their property than those east of I25. However, to be fair, I've shot prairie dogs on private property west of I25.

Most of those I've met and dealt with who have property east of I25 are very friendly and welcoming. The most I've ever paid to hunt antelope is a bottle of Jack Daniels. Most welcome goat hunters and don't ask for anything in return other than to respect their property and leave it like you found it. But, once again to be fair, the worst of the bunch is a guy who has a lot of land east of I25. When I asked him for permission, he ragged on me for 30 minutes until I finally got tired of his BS. I asked him point blank if he was going to let me hunt. He said no, so I left. He's the psycho rancher who stopped me and Linefinder in the middle of a county road and accused me of poaching on his property.

My point is that you can't characterize ranchers as being rich and greed or nice and welcoming just because they're ranchers. There's all kinds with differing perspectives who deal with different situations.
    Jerry

If you can't make a business successful without goverment help, maybe it's time to change occupations. Ethanol producers come instantly to mind. There's a wasteful and unneeded program.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean those that got into Ethanol production are dumb asses for trying. If there's a buck to be made, who cares where it comes from, as long as it's legal. Like any good opportunist, they see a place to make money and they jump on it. That's just good capitalism. No, it's the libtard government's fault for having dumb ass programs like that in the first place.

The Ethanol project was borne more out of the need for the Tree Huggers to believe they are hurting the fossil fuel boys. It's an inefficient stupid way to get out from under the use of oil and gas. Actually, natural gas is a fossil fuel and is probably as clean as any libtard alternative.

What we need to be doing, and I suspect the big energy companies are doing, is look for better more environmentally sound ways to use fossil fuels instead of trying to avoid them. Coal Gasification comes to mind. Hell we got the lead out of gasoline, we can take the sulfur out of other heavier fuels and improve atomization of them where it takes less energy to burn them to make BTUs. And the better it burns the cleaner it burns. And the cleaner it burns means the more efficient it burns. That means savings and good conservation of resources. When you spend mega bucks to build stupid windmills, when you could put those bucks into improving the efficiency of the fossil fuel that almost readily comes out of the ground, you're doing things the stupid libtard way with poorer results.

Libtards use emotions rather than logical plans to accomplish exactly NADA!

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I can't blame a landowner for wanting to get the most out of his property. If 'hunters' are stupid enough to pay to shoot pest animals, then more power to him. Otherwise, let him eat pork or establish his own control/eradication program. I've seen ads for prairie dog shoots running hundreds of dollars. If you've ever seen the damage those little buggers can do to otherwise good pasture land, you would probably wonder why any rancher in his right mind wouldn't welcome shooters and let them on his property for free. But, again, if someone's wiling to pay, why not take their money. It's a simple matter of economics. And, in some cases, it's a matter of economic survival.

To summarize, though, I was simply pointing out that there's two sides to this equation. Not every rancher is rich and greedy, and not every hunter is altruistic.

I apologize for the excess snark. To clarify a bit more ( maybe ), I don't mind paying a small fee to hunt someone's property for nuisance animals, but they shouldn't expect trophy animal prices, especially if they're also collecting government or insurance money from the damage cause by the animals.
    Sorry, I didn't mean ALL ranchers, just a couple of scores of them I know. I hunt public land. I have had ranchers BS me about trespassing when I knew exactly where I was. There are more of those types everyday it seems, I just am tired of dealing with them. Sorry for my rant off topic. I didn't mean to offend Kansas either, sorry.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,324 Senior Member
    I never heard them called gentlemen...plenty I've seen won't remove their hat indoors or in the presence of a lady. Both are just common courtesy gestures.

I have one similar pet peeve that totally gets me going. The yahoos that refuse to remove theit hat or shut up during our National Anthem.

see it with lots of ball caps but few cowboy hats.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 931 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I have one similar pet peeve that totally gets me going. The yahoos that refuse to remove theit hat or shut up during our National Anthem.

see it with lots of ball caps but few cowboy hats.

I kind of wondered whether taking off a hat inside or at a table just wasn't a thing in America, it's one of the few things that really sours me one someone that I'm new to to knowing and I've had a lot of Americans (admittedly mostly Californians) sit down to eat with headgear on, to a man they were all very gracious about removing them, to their credit.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Don't know this is accurate for sure, but I think removing your hat is more of a reflection on where in the USA you are from, and how well manners are taught and practiced there. In the Deep South, even in the poorer rural areas it would be customary to not wear your hat inside much less to the supper table. But, sadly, customs and manners seem to be passing to the wayside wherever you are now! People don't understand what effect modern television has had on the population overall.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    It's local tradition most probably, but maybe not if you could turn the calendar back to pre-1950ish. But even today, wear your hat in the mess-deck (dinning hall) ashore or aboard ship in the Navy and see what happens!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Rich, since less than 1/2 of 1% of the American population learn "military customs and courtesies" these days, it's very little wonder that we have turned into a nation of rude, inconsiderate people. Removing headgear indoors was deeply ingrained in basic training, even though those of us from the south had learned that bit of courtesy from the time we learned to walk and talk. It took a bit more education before the yamdankees figured it out!
    Jerry
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,956 Senior Member
    My Dad always told me to take my hat off indoors. "The roof's not leaking, son. Take that hat off."

Never did understand why women are allowed to. I hate being in church and not being able to see what's going on because some lady has a big hat.

How many men still know to stand up when a lady enters the room or when introduced to someone? Or to tip your hat when you meet a lady?
    I'm just here for snark.
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I have one similar pet peeve that totally gets me going. The yahoos that refuse to remove theit hat or shut up during our National Anthem. .

Took the wife to Busch Gardens last Tuesday, we got there at 09:00 just as they started raising the flag and playing the Anthem, only my wife and I and one other couple stood at attention and saluted.
    The rest of the as**oles looked at us like we were nuts.

JAY
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,447 Senior Member
    Took the wife to Busch Gardens last Tuesday, we got there at 09:00 just as they started raising the flag and playing the Anthem, only my wife and I and one other couple stood at attention and saluted.
    The rest of the as**oles looked at us like we were nuts.

JAY
    I hope you said something:usa:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I hope you said something: usa:

Yes, but to no one special, something like f****n people don't have any respect, loud enough that I got many looks. The other guy came over and said " they don't have a clue "

JAY
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,447 Senior Member
    Yes, but to no one special, something like f****n people don't have any respect, loud enough that I got many looks. The other guy came over and said " they don't have a clue "

JAY

Here's your "atta boy":applause:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11