You should train at XX distance becasue YY% of police shootings....

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I really like and refer to the FBIs standards on shooting distances.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member
    Well written and to the point. Work hard on the scenario that you are most likely to face.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,460 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Well written and to the point. Work hard on the scenario that you are most likely to face.

And then avoid that scenario like you owe it money! :tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    True, but I'm a fan of variety so outside of a few drills I don't have a set training distance or way of shooting. Today I might blow through a few mags shooting strong one handed from the sitting position to targets 3-5 yards at 90 degrees to my left. Tomorrow it might be draw and shoot at targets behind me weak hand. Next week it can be shooting from my side laying n my right side at targets at almost contact distance. All of it is meant to keep me familiar with my gun/ammo and keep my mind flexible with options.

Ahhhh, the advantages of Willy Nilly - The Milly Vanilli school of training ! Didn't Maxwell Smart attend that school ? joke ! :jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,669 Senior Member
    True, but I'm a fan of variety so outside of a few drills I don't have a set training distance or way of shooting. Today I might blow through a few mags shooting strong one handed from the sitting position to targets 3-5 yards at 90 degrees to my left. Tomorrow it might be draw and shoot at targets behind me weak hand. Next week it can be shooting from my side laying n my right side at targets at almost contact distance. All of it is meant to keep me familiar with my gun/ammo and keep my mind flexible with options.

You are very lucky to have a range where you can do those things.

Remember how blah the ranges are down here?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 351 Member
    Phantomupsidedown.jpg

824116upsidedown.jpg

It was more for fun than anything else, but it was interesting.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,061 Senior Member

I said "work hard" on the scenario that you're most likely to face....not focus solely on it...You should be familiar with drawing and shooting while seated in your car, under your car, while lying on your back, etc,etc, etc any situation you may find yourself in....this is how I know that if I am in the very unlikely situation of having to engage a threat at 100 yards with my 1911...I can handle that too...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I've found a place here where I can try a few different things. One of the few benefits of living in a place with lots of mountains.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Armoredman wrote: »
    Phantomupsidedown.jpg

It was more for fun than anything else, but it was interesting.
    The lady of the night shooting position? You never know when you need to deploy your gun:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member

All jokes aside, that's exactly what I meant. Practicing one way of shooting at a fixed distance (while still much better than nothing) will get you proficient at exactly what you practice.
    And for those of us who aren't private range members and can only practice at a static range?

My solution is a lot of dry fire in various scenarios. Better than nothing.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,104 Senior Member
    Yep... Or you could join my old club in Palm Coast buddy! That was not that far from you no?
    It's an hour drive just to get there. And at $325 for the first year's kinda hard to justify when the public range is $10 a visit and I'm lucky to get there 6 times a year. Family and work obligations.
    Overkill is underrated.