Home Main Category Personal Defense

Virginia Man Dies

Virginia BoyVirginia Boy MemberPosts: 213 Member
In an article in The News & Advance, a Lynchburg, Va. newspaper,
today, Nov.15, 2011, it was reported that a 45 year old, Spotsylvania Co.
man, shot himself in the hip, with a Glock .40 cal. handgun, while seated in his car.
It was reported that the gun discharged, when he was unbuckling his seatbelt.
It is unclear if the gun was in a holster, in his pocket, or in his waistband.
He lost a great deal of blood, and was declared dead, later at a hospital.
It said that his wife had gone inside a store to return a DVD, and that there
were 3 or 4 children in the minivan at the time.
Pray for the family.
Rights and freedoms, won with patriot's blood,
shall not be taken away, by ink from a tyrant's pen.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    "The gun discharged"...They left out the part where he pulled the trigger....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    I've been following this on another forum.
    The gun was in his pocket.
    (according to the press - for what that's worth)

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-father-kills-self-grocery-store-20111114,0,314000.story
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Zapp BraniganZapp Branigan Member Posts: 108 Member
    Another case of "Glockitis".
    By a Browning design gun with a THUMB SAFETY instead of a dingus on the trigger, you won't shoot yourself.
    By a Browning design gun with a THUMB SAFETY instead of a dingus on the trigger, you won't shoot yourself.

Bull Crap!....keep your freaking finger off the freaking trigger and you won't have these issues.

By the way...the original variant of the 1911 didn't have a thumb safety...JMB didn't think it was needed...it was added at the insistence of the military...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member

Or... you could be an intelligent individual and practice good trigger discipline. Relying on a safety should take one out of the gene pool.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 783 Senior Member
    Let us not forget our good friend Tex Grebner (sp?), who shot himself with a 1911 with a thumb safety while practicing his draw from retention.:tooth:
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    If a chambered Glock was carried without a holster that covers the trigger in the pocket, then something was bound to happen. It is easy to forget that fingers aren't the only thing that can pull triggers....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    What else should someone carry in their pocket with their handgun?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Maybe in this PC world there is a place for an organisation to lobby for a ban on pockets.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    A small pocket knife that fits easily inside the trigger guard is a great idea :tooth:
    I prefer the tactical chap stick.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    So sad indeed. One of his fingers when unbuckling the safety belt could have landed just right on the outside of that pocket and pulled the trigger or something in his pocket when he began to move undoing the safety belt could had forced the trigger back, but in any case, how sad!!!! I just would not carry a pistol in my pocket, it would always be holstered and the last thing I would get around the trigger would be my finger, unless the gun was in firing position and I was firing the gun on purpose.
    There's a reason stupid hurts....this poor guy didn't survive the lesson...RIP
    I never cease to be amazed at people that will spend several hundred on a pistol, then won't spend another $50 on a holster (even a $20 holster may have saved this guy.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    You should have a holster with any auto which has a chambered round.

That said, I'm sorry for the family's loss.

And I'm very sorry the kids were there.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    This guy I know went surfing so he puts his gun inside a bag in the trunk of his car that had a bunch of stuff, when he stuck his hand in the bag to get his gun back trigger got caught on something and went off, 40 cal bullet went through his hand, he is lucky, he will get back most of the use of that hand back after about a year worth of surgeries.

The function of the trigger is to shoot the damned thing, that is why it is there, it is one's responsibility that it does not get pull unless we mean for it to be so.

This is why I have a personal RULE that loaded guns meant to be carried or stored MUST BE IN A HOLSTER that covers the trigger or in the case of a revolver has a strap that locks the hammer.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • dlddld Member Posts: 415 Member
    has any body ever tried these Saf-T-Blok for Glocks, seem funky but for pocket or bag carry
    stbejects.gif
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    airhead wrote: »
    I never cease to be amazed at people that will spend several hundred on a pistol, then won't spend another $50 on a holster (even a $20 holster may have saved this guy.)

OT, but I used to get the same thing at ski resorts I worked. People getting their skis stolen while they were in the lodge having a drink. I'd ask if they were locked up and they'd say no...

Spend $1,200 on skis, but not $20 for a good cable lock...

Condolences to the family...
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    Good choice, I was thinking more along the lines of the car keys... since you would be accessing them more often than the pocket knife it would yield more chances of a discharge.

And the tactical chap stick is a good choice..
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    That's a hard way to learn a hard lesson. Feel bad for his family. Especially as it was easily preventable.

I carry a G26 in my pocket sometimes, but it's in a leather pocket holster that covers the trigger. Only other thing in the pocket when I'm carrying the G26 is maybe a bit of dryer lint. And when I'm driving, it's shoved between the seat cushions. Easier to access that way.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams