Well I'm on my way again

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,802 Senior Member
Yesterday, I took the concealed carry course to renew my Concealed Carry permit. There was a lot of BS added to the course since I took it the first time in 2007. There's a lot about open carry, which nobody in the class wants to do. I let my license lapse in 2012 but I won't do that again, especially since renewal in Texas nowadays is much cheaper than it was back then.

The written test was pretty easy. I aced it with a 100%, but so did everybody else in the class, hehehehe! I didn't shoot all that well though. I decided to shoot with my Springfield Armory 1911 45ACP. I wish I would have used my old S&W 586 with 8 3/8 Inch barrel now because of the longer sight plane, but I don't know if it would have helped me much because my main problem was seeing the target. I shot 185 out of a possible 250, second from the bottom in the class. That sucked. I shot from 5 and 7 yards then backed up to 15 yards. The first two cycles were pretty good, I didn't get out of the 5 ring. Then when I backed up to 15 yards I had trouble seeing the target, and I don't think I got any shots inside the scoring circle.

I should have brought Bifocals, so I could see both the sights AND the target from 15 yards back. I could see both sights and Target fine at the closer ranges but when I backed up to the 15 yard mark I couldn't see crappola of the target. It was all sort of a blur. But I passed. One woman shot 181, just 4 points lower than me. Everybody else shot over 200. We had to score 175 to pass, so I got by. I will definitely practice more with the 45. One girl got 2nd place shooting a 238 score. She shot her pretty buns off. We all gave her applause. She ended up the sweetheart of the class.

Now I need to go online and pay the state and apply for my license. They say now it takes 3 months to get the license after you take the course, get the finger prints and background check and mail it all in. They use your DL pic for the photo, so that makes it a bit easier and cheaper. I'm ready to get my permit again, because it's been 4 years since I let mine expire and I miss the comfort and peace of mind you get from carrying and doing it all legally.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    Blind concealed carry :yikes:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    Glad I live in a free state. I thought it was a hassle having to fill out a form.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    While AL is easier than FL - we only have to take the course once - I find our requirements to be even easier than Texas.

Here in FL you just need a course showing you've learned about firearms safety. DD214 from the military, hunter safety, NRA.

The course can be had for just around $25. And just once.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 388 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Blind concealed carry :yikes:

I instantly thought of this when I read it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFLOevDqwNk
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Taken the class a few times, worst score was 248, all the rest were 250. Progressive lenses are your friends, give them a try, you can't hit what you cannot see!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Taken the class a few times, worst score was 248, all the rest were 250. Progressive lenses are your friends, give them a try, you can't hit what you cannot see!

OR...they make small shotguns....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »

I agree. I'm trying to get by cheap with Wally World readers. I have a pair of 150s but couldn't find em cause i seldom use em. I use 275 and 300 lenses for reading mostly. With the 150s I can see both target and front and rear sight. But realistically I don't shoot hand guns that much. First time I took the course in 2007 I shot 243. I had similar issues that time too. But as little as I shoot my hand guns I would have been tickled with a 240 score. But whatever, I did enjoy the shooting.

Actually Bream, Texas is very easy, even though we have to take the course each time. But the actual test is so simple it's unbelievable. Anybody with the IQ of a turnip can pass it. Hey I did!

:tooth:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    But in Florida you can take your course... once. And most any firearms safety course will do. Not an expensive one.

I like the fact that though my state requires me to take a course, they trust me to remember what I've learned.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    What size target were you shooting?
    But in Florida you can take your course... once. And most any firearms safety course will do. Not an expensive one.

I like the fact that though my state requires me to take a course, they trust me to remember what I've learned.

Yeah and FL is even easier for veterans. Which is kind of worrisome when veterans like me (Navy) had very little small arms training in the service! Perhaps it should be Marines and Army veterans. :)

Now, if you need someone to build a fire control system for something a bit more substantial there are plenty of Navy and Air Force vets who can answer the call.
    JKP wrote: »
    What size target were you shooting?

Life size silhouette of a person. But the scoring rings were a good bit smaller than that.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Just renewed mine yesterday morning. Walked in at 0800, walked out with my new license in hand at 0810. Ezpz, $60.00.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,347 Senior Member
    If you're using readers to see things at distance, you're causing more problems than you're fixing. Sayin'
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    Tri-focals were were my final answer. I hated them, at first, and they still make me drunk when going down stairs, but once your eyes 'learn' to pick the right lens, automatically, you can shoot handguns at 15 yards without fumbling for a different pair of specs, and that is essential if you are carrying for self-defense. You might even want to consider laser grips, which you can shoot without glasses. It's not a great plan to substitute them for iron sights, but they don't hurt anything, and they could help.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,540 Senior Member
    I mailed my renewal and it took 30 days on the nose. 60 bucks and I'm done for another seven years.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Yeah and FL is even easier for veterans. Which is kind of worrisome when veterans like me (Navy) had very little small arms training in the service! Perhaps it should be Marines and Army veterans. :)

Now, if you need someone to build a fire control system for something a bit more substantial there are plenty of Navy and Air Force vets who can answer the call.
    Considering I'm more partial to Constitutional Carry and feel that if you decide to carry you should make your own decisions about the type of training you "need," that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I'd actually rather not have a training requirement, but at least ours is a "one and done" kinda thing.
    Overkill is underrated.

This is another case of people confusing "qualifying" with "training"......The largest percentage of people in any of the services never handled firearms beyond initial qualification...and infrequent trips to the range to "re-qualify" Remember...for every trigger puller there are a minimum of ten supporting him.....
    Considering I'm more partial to Constitutional Carry and feel that if you decide to carry you should make your own decisions about the type of training you "need," that sort of thing doesn't bother me. I'd actually rather not have a training requirement, but at least ours is a "one and done" kinda thing.

I totally agree. The training and course of fire for Texas is just going through the motions to satisfy the lawyers. It means absolutely nothing or at least very little in the real world. And I know one thing, if I had to draw down on a human size target at 15 yards or 30 yards I could hit it if need be. First shot accuracy counts in SD as much as it does in hunting. That score is only an indicator of how well your firearm groups. I don't care about that. All I want to be able to do is put the bad guy down and I'm pretty confident that if he doesn't get me first I can do that.
    I totally agree. The training and course of fire for Texas is just going through the motions to satisfy the lawyers. It means absolutely nothing or at least very little in the real world. And I know one thing, if I had to draw down on a human size target at 15 yards or 30 yards I could hit it if need be. First shot accuracy counts in SD as much as it does in hunting. That score is only an indicator of how well your firearm groups. I don't care about that. All I want to be able to do is put the bad guy down and I'm pretty confident that if he doesn't get me first I can do that.

I won't question your ability to make hits, but why wouldn't you give yourself every possible advantage? Go get your eyes checked for cheap, (your local Walmart most likely has an eye center) and check any number of online providers that will fill your prescription at quite a savings.

If not for the convenience of it, imagine having to explain to a jury why you didn't have decent glasses during the 'after-shoot' phase of a self defense shooting. We justify (rightly so, IMO) carrying a pistol as a "I hope I'll never need it, but want to have it just in case" type of thing. Maybe you don't need glasses for most things, but, frankly I can't imagine not doing something that would allow you to do so more efficiently and accurately. Just barely passing a 'satisfy the lawyers' type of shooting test wouldn't give me the warm and fuzzies about my ability to hit well when the fit hits the shan. Just my .02, YMMV.
    George Carlin

It was a joke.

I agree that the right to bear arms is just that and should only be withheld from felons.
    That score is only an indicator of how well your firearm groups.

I hate to be blunt, but this statement is pure, unmitigated bull squeeze. You're shooting to show you can meet an arbitrary minimum standard, You barely passed because you can't see...how well your firearm grouped has nothing to do with it. I would wager any number of people could picked up your pistol and outshot you with it...Bottom line...get some glasses....
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Yeah that.
    It's because I hate Trump.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I hate to be blunt, but this statement is pure, unmitigated bull squeeze. You're shooting to show you can meet an arbitrary minimum standard, You barely passed because you can't see...how well your firearm grouped has nothing to do with it. I would wager any number of people could picked up your pistol and outshot you with it...Bottom line...get some glasses....

I thought I had mentioned I had the wrong glasses. My mistake.

Call it BS if you wish, but I doubt many that haven't had the experience of having to duel it out with a bad guy in a real world shootout situation that they will be thinking about shooting real accurate, but rather they'll be flooding the air between them and Mr. Bad Guy with lead praying for a good hit to take him down before he takes them down. I accomplished that for the most part. I just didn't win any trophies. But you're correct that I need better spectacles.
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    If you're using readers to see things at distance, you're causing more problems than you're fixing. Sayin'

I don't normally use readers to see things at a distance. I don't normally need corrective lenses at distance, but i can't focus on the sights and the target without some sort of correction. I can do this with a lower power, like 150 correction. Before I left home all I could find was my 300s I use for reading. 150s allow me to focus on the sights AND the target although the sights won't be as sharp as with the 300s or even the .275s I use to read with. But out past about 10 feet things begin to get pretty fuzzy with the higher magnification. At 15 yards all I could see was the silhouette of the target, but I couldn't make out the scoring rings, so I shot a lousy score. But I believe that the target would have been dead or at least out of commission. And that was only the 15 yard part. I did fine at the closer ranges when I could still make out the scoring rings by looking over the glasses.
    Look, you're a grown man and don't need me to look after you, but using readers to see your sights clearly while trying to focus on the target is asinine. You're trying to make your eyes do things they were never designed to do in the first place, let alone later in life, when our eyes are less able to do the things that they WERE designed to do. Using readers is making things worse, not better. They're just fooling you to thinking they're better by magnifying what you're looking at.

I'm not concerned with the target....it's what's around the target that has me concerned. Remember, your 'target' isn't going to be helpful and stand still for you. Inability to see what is beyond that less than stationary target is what I'm talking about.
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    'Spray and pray,' which is exactly what you have described as your defense, is the exact tactic I'm counting on my attacker to use against me. Making a good hit with the first shot(s) is what I intend to counter with, probably after he has knocked a few chunks off of me, although I hope I will see it coming and be able to cheat on the draw. If you don't practice hitting a small target when conditions are perfect, how can you expect to do it when you're trying to choke down panic?

If you aren't going to get some glasses you can wear every day and shoot with, you better start practicing quick-draw and snap shooting, without sights. Just my opinion, of course.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Nope... We train so, God forbid it ever comes to this, that the "praying" part is not the case. Almost every week I'm at the range becoming a better SD shot. I expend more ammo in one day than many folks that carry a gun for a living shoot in one year...

Damn you're making me do a lot of thinking here!

I guess what I'm trying to say, well I guess I was wrong. But I've never been in the real situation like that and I hope I never am. I get the part about training, but myself, I can only speak for myself, I think in the back of my head while I'm doing all the training that I know this isn't preparing me to think in a situation.

I know what you're getting at wambli and lately I've thought about this a lot. When the Defecation hits the Rotary Oscillator your brain may suffer disconnect and you will default to your training. Never having been there before, I will be praying that my training does take over.

Whenever I have had times where things happened fast and I had to react (Haven't had to with a gun yet), I really didn't remember much about what happened at the moment. I guess I've done something right because I'm still here to tell about it.

I remember once when we had an ice storm and the road was frozen I was going to work on the highway to the plant and was driving about 30 MPH and decided to speed up a little. Then the car lost it and started spinning. I made about two revolutions and came to a stop on the side of the road next to a 10 foot ditch. My carpool buddy was thoroughly impressed with my skill. Too bad I couldn't remember any of it. I just hope that if I ever have to face down a bad guy that I will default to my training and not scream like a girl and run off in the brush.

Anyway, all that being said, I will promise to practice more and get some better glasses, AND WEAR THEM!
    I'm not sure of your circumstances., if you could do something similar or not. Anyway, I've got a friend that lives out in the country and just outside his back door he has a couple of pistol targets....every day when he goes out, he shoots those targets as they become visible....not many rounds a day, but it ingrains drawing and firing into "muscle memory" " (yeah, I know muscles don't memorize stuff, but the term works) every once in awhile he moves the targets aroound some...closer, further out, etc,...The more you go through those repetions, the less impact that "Oh Crap" moment (an adrenaline dump actually) will have.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,039 Senior Member
    No one can concentrate the sights AND the target in perfect focus. If you can see the front sight clearly, and you can see the rear sight as fuzzy, the target will also be fuzzy...but you just hold for center. It's that front that matters, unless of course you can't make out the target at all.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,117 Senior Member
    Snake, what's the law on open carry in Tx? Legal? Need a permit? On my way to CA a few years back,
    I spent a couple days with Scott Mayer in Tucson, AZ where open carry is legal. I did so with my Ruger
    LCR and just loved it. It felt great to actually be able to live like an American for a change. AZ rocks!
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."