Well I'm on my way again

2»

Replies

• john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    Aim for the center of the blur.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    john9001 wrote: »
    Aim for the center of the blur.

You're right john9001. And yesterday I finally finished everything I needed to do. I got my finger prints, Electronically! That was cool.

Now all I have to do is mail in a couple of things and I should be good to go.

Edited to Add: cost was right at $200 total. That's expensive but they tell me that if I catch it in time and don't let it expire the next renewal is much cheaper.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member North CarolinaPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The NC requirement is 3, 5 & 7 yards and there many are requiring like 7 out of 10 hits. The NC CHP course isn't to teach anything more than the law and half way make sure the person can handling a handgun without a negligent discharge. As Wambli said, you'd be surprised how many buy a handgun, take the class, get their CHP and never fire the gun again.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Snake, what's the law on open carry in Tx? Legal? Need a permit? On my way to CA a few years back,
    I spent a couple days with Scott Mayer in Tucson, AZ where open carry is legal. I did so with my Ruger
    LCR and just loved it. It felt great to actually be able to live like an American for a change. AZ rocks!

Vic, in Texas you still need a permit. Since January 1st open carry is legal if you have the permit.

Personally, I don't care to open carry, but I like the option of doing so. There's no more chance of accidentally exposing your carry piece and getting busted. But I don't want to do it on purpose. If Bad Guy decides to pull something out and start shooting, I think the ones he can see that are armed will be his first victims. I like the idea of making bad guys guess who's armed. Just my opinion. I can see the desire to do it. But I just like the idea of surprise being on my side.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,746 Senior Member
    It is impossible for anyone with even perfect vision to see the target, front sight, and rear sight all in focus. That ain't the way eyes work. A perfect sight picture will have the front sight in focus, the target will be fuzzy (but visible) and the rear will be fuzzy but visible. While you have to see to a certain extent all three, you can't have all three in focus. If you focus on the target, the front and rear sights will be out of focus.

The target will be fuzzy but not vague. You will see the bullseye, but not read the numbers. You will see the rear, but only enough to center the target. You should be able to see the serrations on the front sight. If you can do that and still be aware of target and rear, you'll hit the target.

In GA, no class required for a Firearms Permit. Just a background check and court costs and fingerprints.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L wrote: »
    It is impossible for anyone with even perfect vision to see the target, front sight, and rear sight all in focus. That ain't the way eyes work. A perfect sight picture will have the front sight in focus, the target will be fuzzy (but visible) and the rear will be fuzzy but visible. While you have to see to a certain extent all three, you can't have all three in focus. If you focus on the target, the front and rear sights will be out of focus.

The target will be fuzzy but not vague. You will see the bullseye, but not read the numbers. You will see the rear, but only enough to center the target. You should be able to see the serrations on the front sight. If you can do that and still be aware of target and rear, you'll hit the target.

In GA, no class required for a Firearms Permit. Just a background check and court costs and fingerprints.

Gene I agree with you. But wearing readers the target really gets fuzzy. As was said, if the front sight is sharp you can center it on the target blur. But wearing those 275 or 300 readers i can't even center on the blur. I think I just need more practice is all.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,552 Senior Member
    Snake, you need to talk with your eye doc about your situation. My eye doc is a LTC in the AF Reserve and takes care of all the pilots at Homestead ARB and understands the problems with glasses and shooting. He actually had me hold a plastic gun and measured where the focus point is and adjusted the progressive lens to give the best sight picture and field of view for me. Its not perfect, but helped a lot for shooting handguns. When shooting a rifle with a scope, glasses come off and scope is focused for my needs. Really though, talk to your eye doc, things have come a long ways in types of lenses and such.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5