Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Change for a $20: Tubman to replace Jackson on new bills

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks like they will also feature rotating pics on other (smaller bills). One silly local news gal was carrying on how Tubman risked her life to help slaves yada yada yada yada well didn't Old Hickory risk his fighting for our country?????

"While Hamilton would remain on the $10, and Abraham Lincoln on the $5, images of women would be added to the back of both — in keeping with Mr. Lew’s intent “to bring to life” the national monuments depicted there.

The picture of the Treasury building on the back of the $10 bill would be replaced with a depiction of a 1913 march in support of women’s right to vote that ended at the building, along with portraits of five suffrage leaders: Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Alice Paul and Susan B. Anthony, who in more recent years was on an unpopular $1 coin until minting ceased.
    Here Are the New Faces on $5, $10 and $20 Bills

The Treasury Department announced new designs for several bills that will incorporate women, including Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony and Eleanor Roosevelt."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/21/us/women-currency-treasury-harriet-tubman.html?_r=0
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    There was talk of them choosing Helen Keller, I'd have been okay with her.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much in the same camp as CPJ about not really caring.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I've got a feeling that the bills in question were going to be changed anyway... Treasury Dept. seems to be changing bill designs often due to counterfeiters. So I'd imagine that the money spent on making new plates and whatnot would have been spent anyway.

Put me down in the "don't care" column.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    This made me laugh:

https://mobile.twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/722822955982409733

"Breaking: Treasury throws founder of the Democratic Party off $20 bill, replaces with gun-toting Republican "

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Only time I get paper money is to pay for the public range or for communal pot type stuff for work (i.e. everyone chip in $XX.) They don't use credit card at the range. Rest of the time I got no cash.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Who the hell uses paper money anymore? There was a time I wouldn't think of walking out of my house without a few hundred $$$s in my pocket. Now $20 in cash will last me a few weeks in my pocket, many days I'm walking around with less than $5 in cash on me. Unless they start showing dead presidents faces on the transactions on my Amex in Apple pay, I really could not give a rats anus who's on what bill anymore... :uhm:

I like a little green in my wallet, I use debit cards/credit mostly and get my cash back at the grocery store/Walmart or at the banks ATM with no extra fee.

Some places I don't like using any type card, especially gas stations at the pump (been compromised before) and if I don't have a Shell gas card I get from Publix $50 in gas fer $40 bucks with grocery purchase of $50, I'll pre-pay inside.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Paying cash sometimes has its advantages. Especially if you don't want an electronic-paper trail of your purchase. You still can get a receipt from retailers.

Besides, you ever decide to go on the run/disappear turn to being an Outlaw:guns::guns: , first things to lose are all cards/phones. :jester:
    Wambli,
    I'm thinking you're running in circles the rest of... don't. I can't think of a single place that I've been to that doesn't accept cash.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    I'd be all for it if they used the image depicted here (although it's been pointed out after the fact that this is Mary Fields, not HT)...

13006703_10209355963520147_284885791573291650_n_zpsy83j8bzp.jpg

Can you imagine the number of aneurysms suffered by the Moms Demand Action types and the Bloomberg sycophants if this was on the $20?
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
    Liked/used guns and I hear she was a Republican who BTW freed the slaves........................
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Paying cash sometimes has its advantages. Especially if you don't want an electronic-paper trail of your purchase. You still can get a receipt from retailers.

Besides, you ever decide to go on the run/disappear turn to being an Outlaw:guns::guns: , first things to lose are all cards/phones. :jester:

My gun fund is CASH to hide it ... both from the wife and partly government (outside of the 4473 trail).

As going on the lamb, I have a couple cheap prepaid unactivated phones for emergencies ... a vehicle is the worst problem.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I REALLY want to see someone survive more than 2-3 days on just cash.

Whitey Bulger did it for 20-something years.
    Jerry
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    We have two places in town with "Cash Only" signs.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Wambli,
    I'm thinking you're running in circles the rest of... don't. I can't think of a single place that I've been to that doesn't accept cash.

I have to agree with He of the multi-hued visage and inflamed scarlet backside. The ONLY time I run into a 'debit/credit only' issue is paying my water bill online. For making purchases, cash is king in the Mason household. I suppose that makes me a Luddite but, as a Luddite, I figure you put too much trust in the technology demon!:tooth:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I rarely carry cash.
    Same here. Cash in my pocket gets spent, cash in the bank tends to stay there...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Keeping a cash stash has resulted in getting some pretty nice bargains at times, guns and otherwise! There's something about offering a few C-notes that tends to close a deal in a hurry!
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    How about they put one of those hologram thingies on there that changes images depending on how you tilt the bill?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • Murphy's LawMurphy's Law Member Posts: 313 Member
    If you guys don't like the new bills just give them to me. I'll be more than happy to take then off your hands.
    The nearest ATM to me right now is 5 miles away- - - -that's about 20 miles too close!
    Jerry
    I'm a little weary of using some of those "Plug-in" ATMs on wheels you see in gas stations and truck stops/ yep I've seen portable ones at Gun Shows too. Cash back at the grocery store/Walmart usually works for me or I use the one in front of my bank or go inside.

I like having a little "Mad Money" around just in in case.................
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I don't know... maybe. The fact is that if managed properly paying by card has great advantages. At the end of the year when I dint out all my reports from American Express I just hand them over to my accountant who then makes sense of them for tax purposes with some input from me. If I worked in cash I'd miss out on many legit business tax deductions.

This makes a lot of sense.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I don't know why Jackson ever got the honor of getting his face on US currency. He reneged on his promise to the Cherokee nation after they helped him win the battle of New Orleans. He was about as sorry a person as we've ever had in the white house.

He was a Democrat, what do you expect? :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I don't know... maybe. The fact is that if managed properly paying by card has great advantages. At the end of the year when I dint out all my reports from American Express I just hand them over to my accountant who then makes sense of them for tax purposes with some input from me. If I worked in cash I'd miss out on many legit business tax deductions.

Like Bil O said last night The Bern is in the top 5% income bracket in the US (200+ thousand ?? reported annual income) and must have a good tax accountant because he pays less than 14% after campaigning to make sure everyone pays their "Fair Share".
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    I think ita a good idea.

Replace a Democrat with a evangelical, gun toting Republican. I dont see a downside.
    I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other. Harriet Tubman
    Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/harriet_tubman.html
    Never wound a snake; kill it. Harriet Tubman

and one I particularly agree with
    Why, der language down dar in de far South is jus' as different from ours in Maryland, as you can think. Dey laughed when dey heard me talk, an' I could not understand 'dem, no how. Harriet Tubman
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.