Home Main Category Hunting

Land permissions finally came through!

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
I've been communicating with a land owner since October about getting permission to hunt predators on his land. He owns a (roughly) 2000 acre tract that is sublet for cattle grazing, hay field and about 800 acres of it is a tree farm that grows mostly sabal and queen palms. He's an avid deer/turkey hunter and he uses the land for himself and his son to hunt on from October-January for fall turkey and deer season. He said describing his coyote issue as "a little problem" would be like describing France's old Hitler issue as a "little problem". He's a busy guy and the permissions finally came to fruition today. So from now until October 1, it's on.

I'll be using my SPR AR15 a good bit and I may take a few seriously long shots with the FN PBR, but mostly I'll be packing a rifle from the truck to where I set up. I will certainly use my old Remington 700 .243Win, but that can wallop some fur and the chance at a bobcat is pretty good. I am looking very hard at a Ruger American in .22-250. Ruger, in some stroke of glorious wisdom, manufactures them with a 1-10 rifling twist! That makes them damn capable of shooting 60gr+ bullets no problem--maybe even 70+ grain. I'm carting before the horse here, but for sub-$450 and a getting a fast twist barrel in a 6.5-lb rifle in a very capable caliber is exciting.

The land owner is going to speak to his uncle who owns another 600 acres just northwest of the tract I'm permitted to use and he says the coyote are stacked 3 feet thick. I'll probably have permission to use that land soon as well. It's not hunted for deer or turkey so I would be able to use it year-round.

Time to get loading...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Happy Shooting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That's excellent. It's gonna be a great Spring/Summer for you!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's excellent. It's gonna be a great Spring/Summer for you!

I want to develop a good rapport with him the the point he may be ok with me harvesting a deer this December. I'm not an avid deer hunter, but I am fresh out of venison.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Happy calling- luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    1965Jeff wrote: »
    Happy calling- luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good plan but for furbearers use FMJ at lower velocities. My old Speer book has loading data just for that. And if you're thinking the .22-250 is going to save the fur, ain't happening. The only way to insure you don't blow up a fur bearer is like I said, FMJ at low velocity. I shot a bobcat this year and it damn near blew it in half. Of course, that was with a .270 with a 130 grain bullet at 3100 FPS. That's the problem, a readily expanding bullet at high velocity is not a good plan.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    That's a good plan but for furbearers use FMJ at lower velocities. My old Speer book has loading data just for that. And if you're thinking the .22-250 is going to save the fur, ain't happening. The only way to insure you don't blow up a fur bearer is like I said, FMJ at low velocity. I shot a bobcat this year and it damn near blew it in half. Of course, that was with a .270 with a 130 grain bullet at 3100 FPS. That's the problem, a readily expanding bullet at high velocity is not a good plan.

My inclination (if I get a Ruger American) is to use Speer SP in the 65-ish grain ballpark to save fur on a cat.

For the coyote...I'd use a 50BMG if it was practical.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,146 Senior Member
    Man, that sounds like fun. Good luck!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Dog gone!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    cpj wrote: »
    That's a LOT of land. Especially around here.

Yea I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass. The southern fence line is almost 5000 yards long. And it backs up to a dense wooded forest preserve that has a major river tributary running through it.

I know I can call some critters out of there too.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I have a T3 Super Varmint in 22-250. The twist rate is 1 in 14 from memory. Its one of my 'culling' rifles. Only used 50gr sierra's so far and they are deadly on goats and other vermin. Damn thing is like a laser and its performance far outweighs my capabilities.

I hope things ( re access) work out for you. If they do, I reckon you will be having more fun than sex...............and you wont have to take your clothes off! :tooth:

Looking forward to hunting reports and pics in the future.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    Make sure you show him(or his son) anything you get, remind him how many fawns they eat, get him to sit with you a few times once you get dialed in, you will be eating some venison soon enough, hope you get a bunch to show them:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Make sure you show him(or his son) anything you get, remind him how many fawns they eat, get him to sit with you a few times once you get dialed in, you will be eating some venison soon enough, hope you get a bunch to show them:up:

You bet.

I have Excel spreadsheet ready to go.