Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Trump admits what we have been telling you- he has been playing a part

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,152 Senior Member
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/04/21/trump-is-playing-a-part-and-can-transform-for-victory-campaign-chief-tells-gop-leaders/

Trump admits he has been misleading the public by playing the part of the brash, straight talking businessman. And those of us that have been worried that we do not know who the 'real trump' is have been vindicated. Is this when he changes positions, or just the way he delivers the message?

We don't know. We have been promised it will be "completely different" now.

Just like we were warned. In the past, he has been anti- gun.... Will he be that Trump again? We don't know. But one thing is clear- America has been sold a bill of goods by a slick salesman.

Say what you will about Cruz- he has been 100% consistent in his views and support of the Constitution. Best predictor of the future is the past.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    What I took away from that was that one of the authors name was Dan Balz.

That is very insightful.

It is all a load of Balz.

" Dan Balz, Dan Balz, Dan............ dry Balz."
    Does this make him "Lyin' Don?"
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    The only thing that makes this 'news' is that his new campaign manager is admitting it while he Trump still has an excessive amount of 'fan' loyalty - like a defense attorney getting the damaging testimony out early, before it becomes a big issue. So far, it's more like 'acting presidential' is what requires a lot of training and discipline that Trump is having trouble maintaining. It is his nature to cover up his own shortcomings by attacking anyone who threatens to expose them. And like most Democrats, he attacks them for things that he, himself, is actually guilty of.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    He may be playing a part, but I think the old one is closer to the truth than the new, improved Trump.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    The WaPo article says nothing that would dissuade me from voting for Trump in the general, in fact, most politicians do exactly the same thing after they win the nomination. They either go from left to center or from right to center depending on what party they're in. Trumps message has basically not changed, only the way he will deliver it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I'm really not surprised. Trump has said for years that his strategy is to lob stink bombs as Bisley call them, getting his opponents off-guard so he can negotiate more freely. Obviously it works for him, and as I said in another thread, it's certainly not new.

I have my reservations about the man, but I won't rehash them here.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    At least he's transitioning from "Lying Ted" to "Crooked Hillary". I can get behind that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I respect you a lot but I'm struggling to find the part where Trump "admits" he has been misleading the public in this article...

Second link- "Trump has been "projecting an image" ... "You'll see a different guy," said Manafort.

Gotta be as much of a lie as Cruz retweeting a news story about Carson leaving the race
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    I said we would be seeing a calmer, more presidential Trump weeks ago. Again, this is exactly how this game needs to be played to win, don't get this being a surprise to anyone. The article does not mention ANY changes in core values AT ALL. It just says the delivery will be different as it needs to be for phase two of the campaign. What is a hoot is that this was said in a closed door meeting with the RNC leadership and they could not WAIT to blab this to the media with their own twist on it. The Republican party is just bent on self destruction. It is run but a bunch of idiots...

I'm still trying to figure out what Trump's core values are? So far, all I've got from him is name calling and whining when he loses.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I really don't know what the man stands for other than himself.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I said we would be seeing a calmer, more presidential Trump weeks ago. Again, this is exactly how this game needs to be played to win, don't get this being a surprise to anyone. The article does not mention ANY changes in core values AT ALL. It just says the delivery will be different as it needs to be for phase two of the campaign. What is a hoot is that this was said in a closed door meeting with the RNC leadership and they could not WAIT to blab this to the media with their own twist on it. The Republican party is just bent on self destruction. It is run but a bunch of idiots...

Core values? How can anyone possibly know what his core values are? The only evidence of core values comes from a person living his life in a certain way, over enough time for it to be noticed by others. Anybody can say they are for or against anything, and if they are running for elected office, the voters simply have to take the candidate's word for it, or not - core values have to be ignored by those who believe them. When Mitt Romney did it on health care, we called him a flip-flopper, and a couple million or so Republicans would not vote for him.

It takes a huge leap of faith to vote for a candidate who has no record of accomplishment in the field he is competing in, especially when there is a competitor who has a clear record of opposing (or supporting) some of the very same things. Surely, you can see that.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member

Agreed.

He has to change his delivery and do so for a substantial period of time before taking on the Democrat machine. They'll attack him on his insensitivity and chauvinism, so he needs to display a calmer, more tactful demeanor to fend of those attacks before they can even be formulated.

Trump is still my choice over Cruz at this point.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Trump claims he's not a politician, but he seems to be on a very steep learning curve to become one. He's going to have to moderate his carnival barker personna to acquire enough votes to win- - - - -how does this approach differ from Hilary co-opting a lot of Bernie Sanders' talking points?
    Jerry
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I respect you a lot but I'm struggling to find the part where Trump "admits" he has been misleading the public in this article...

Amen! No where. but most voters don't care about the truth, just sound bites
    I hope you are right, Wambli. But I really find it had to trust someone that has tried to use his vast wealth to limit my personal freedoms and constitutional rights.

But I hope you are right about him
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    You had to be deliberately blind not to see what The Donald has been doing all along. Even Rush Limbaugh figured it out months ago. And I have mentioned this several times. All Trump supporters have 'gotten it" from the beginning. By being purposely outrageous, Trump not only controls the press, he defeats it, then he guts it. He defeats the fatal sound-bite tactic, he eviscerates political correctness and he disembowels pop culture. All to the delight of his supporters who are sick and tired of news anchors taking sound bites out of context, missing the obvious intention of a remark, quoting half a sentence, or fabricating phony issues. With a wink and a nod, we love what he's doing. And the press has to cover it all - every word he says, every time he says it. Geezus, you'd have to be either a liberal, a news reporter, or a talking-head 'contributor' not to have had all this dawn on you ages ago. It didn't dawn on the press, the liberals and the hair-on-fire 'offended' crowd until they had to be told because they were so sure of their unassailable position holding the high ground atop their mountain of lies, distortions, misrepresentations, and half-truths, and their politically correct control of the vocabulary and the news cycle.

Rush surmised it best - "Trump controls the press when he's on, he controls it when he's off, he controls it when he's asleep." Well, DUH! And he's very cleverly absconded with about $2billion worth of free air time and oceans of free ink. Right on Donald, keeping sticking it up the establishment's behind.

I've mentioned it before, but apparently I have to spell it out again - For Trump to have built his corporate empire, he has had to deal effectively, ethically and honestly with a constellation of consummate professionals - attorneys, real estate brokers and agents, accountants, bankers, buyers and sellers, zoning boards, governments at every level, inspectors of every kind, architects, general and sub-contractors, labor unions, environmental protection agencies, human resource experts, information tech experts, pilots, service providers of all kinds, insurance agents, the makers of a zillion different products, shippers, receivers, and warehousers. Not to mention producers, directors, sponsors, and everything else involved in the television industry.

You can't be a fool or a jerk and survive in his world. But to prosper, despite a major recession and a deliberately **** recovery, takes a man of inordinate perception, awareness, confidence and skills. Trump has enough of all of that, but most important, he's also SHARK ENOUGH to see opportunities and act fearlessly in our country's interests.

T R U M P
    Make America Great Again, and stop our civilization's slide into political dystopia and cultural dementia.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    So this means you are in favor of Trump?
    :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    So this means you are in favor of Trump?
    :jester:

Ya think! Well, for now anyway. By the time of the Convention, who knows? If no candidate has wrapped it up by then, I will have to go with whoever has the best odds of beating the Democrat, because this time around, like no other time before it, winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. If Hillary wins, she'll carry the Senate as well, and the Supreme Court will be permanently stacked with fascists for the rest of our lifetimes. Might as well stuff all your guns in your safe, grab a hand truck, and lug it out to the curb. "Cause it will be all over, and anybody who didn't do everything in his power to help our side win will be personally liable and responsible. Sad thing is they won't care.

T R U M P
    But I'm OK with Cruz or Kasich
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I was on the receiving end of a Trump-style business deal with a former partner in an auto shop. He summed things up quite well- - - - -"You've gotta screw your friends- - - -your enemies won't stand for it!"

Let's hope he uses a little more Vaseline than Hilary or Bernie would!
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    NPR aired a story today comparing him to George Wallace.
    Exhaultation? Legitimate news? Media attack? Or just crickets chirping? :popcorn:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    It's like the old saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....it's time the country went in a different direction. The professional politicians have blown it, but good. Republican or Democrat, we have been getting screwed going on 60 years, with the possible exception of Ronald Reagan.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    It's like the old saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result....it's time the country went in a different direction. The professional politicians have blown it, but good. Republican or Democrat, we have been getting screwed going on 60 years, with the possible exception of Ronald Reagan.

This. This is where I, and a lot of other people are at. Time to try something different, because we cannot afford more of the same.

In any case, we had all better work our **** off to make sure Hitlery doesn't win!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I know all of the arguments in favor of Trump, and at some point, I may have to make the same ones, myself. But, nobody has to settle for a carnival hawker to save their asses until he has run an entire race and defeated the best of his competition. If he finishes strong and beats the most talented guy that his own party can field, he will maybe, hopefully, be battle-tested enough to have a slight chance against the dirtiest political machine that this country has had in the last hundred years. The time to unite the party is after the battle for it's own soul is finished - not midway through the process. The greatest armies in the world have been defeated by superior battlefield intelligence - the winning strategy is to have both, for the final push.
    Oddly enough, we have not seen this 'New Trump' yet. Still with the name calling (Lyin Ted!) and distortions (they are stealing the vote!) pandering to the lowest common denominator voter.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/04/21/trump-is-playing-a-part-and-can-transform-for-victory-campaign-chief-tells-gop-leaders/

Trump admits he has been misleading the public by playing the part of the brash, straight talking businessman. And those of us that have been worried that we do not know who the 'real trump' is have been vindicated. Is this when he changes positions, or just the way he delivers the message?

Just like we were warned. In the past, he has been anti- gun.... Will he be that Trump again? We don't know. But one thing is clear- America has been sold a bill of goods by a slick salesman.

Say what you will about Cruz- he has been 100% consistent in his views and support of the Constitution. Best predictor of the future is the past.

It's his New Image. Trump is not my man, YET, but if and WHEN he is nominated he will be. Only when Cruz is out will he be my main man. Til then I'm still on Cruz Control.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Oddly enough, we have not seen this 'New Trump' yet. Still with the name calling (Lyin Ted!) and distortions (they are stealing the vote!) pandering to the lowest common denominator voter.

He's getting traction with all the whining about how everyone's picking on him, so he figures he can continue to play the game he knows. We will probably never see him act presidential - he will simply re-define it, and tell his supporters they love it. The guy is a salesman, and a performer - not a public servant, and he's smart enough to know that is the game he will be most likely to win with. 70 year old men don't learn new stuff, when it is as complicated as fixing what's wrong with the federal government. I wish the voters knew how to 'kick the tires' and 'look under the hood' before betting the ranch on what a slick salesman says, but it's starting to look like that hard-learned lesson has been lost to today's grown-ups.

OK nice to know he's been full of crap all this time, but what else is new?

Now, when will Hillary come clean about Benghazi, White Water, and the hundreds of other scams she and Slick have been involved in for the last 30 years or so?

I will still do whatever is necessary to keep her out of Casa Blanca. This country would be better off with Chairman Mao than her. Or it would be about the same difference.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Since the RNC was nice (spelled s,t,u,p,i,d) enough to spill the beans about the conversation as fast as it happened it forces the campaign to postpone in order to prove them wrong in the public eye specially in view of the press, like the article you quoted, that slanted it.

Why should they try to hide something that's been normal campaign practice for a hundred years, by both parties? It's only now, with a Democrat inserting himself into their party that decides to whine about the rules after the primary campaigns are nearly finished? This is right out of the liberal handbook - declare yourself a victim and demand rule changes when you are afraid you can't win it by following the rules.

So what, if it feels unfair, as long as everybody started the game even? Do you seriously believe that Donald Trump won't exploit the rules if it can benefit him? Sure, there is validity to the claim that some folks' vote doesn't count, but you don't change it in the middle of the game, to benefit one candidate, just because he didn't bother to do his homework.
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Amen! No where. but most voters don't care about the truth, just sound bites

Because they think sound bites are truth. Too many voters are too ignorant to know the difference.

However, having said this, my main and only real problem with Trump is I'm not sure he has the proper skills or temperment to get his message across to the undecided voters enough to win the General Election.
    I don't know if he has the ability to keep his mouth shut when he needs to to put his message across well enough to win the middle ground. He does need a change in style.

Regardless, I will give it everything I've got to help elect the Republican Nominee to the Presidency, no matter who it may end up being. I believe that Trump is mostly sincere in his message, but he has to win over a lot more people than he has so far.

Do I think Trump would be a better president than either Cruz or even Kasich? No. But he's still a lot better choice than Hillary, and you can take that to the BANK!!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    If people believe that Trump and his advisors do not know the rules, your sadly mistaken. Read Wambli's posts, he gets what the man is doing. Its business not acts of a professional politician
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5