Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Driver's Licenses...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,495 Senior Member
...proof that government-mandated training standards don't always provide for safer users.
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Another case of having to meet arbitrary minimum standards,,,,
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Growing up I learned to drive tractors, dump trucks and such years before I got my first license ... hell, don't think I drove an automatic until I actually got a license. Today kids do not learn anything like that ... unless you include stealing cars in video games.

Like teaching my kid gun safety, I have taught him how to drive and for years tried to instill respect for a 2 ton machine that probably kills more people in one week in the US than guns do in a whole year. He can operated about any vehicle but experience and respect are up to time.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Look at how relatively safe SCUBA diving is. Virtually no government-mandated standards. They come from the industry. Now, we're too far down the current path to change how we do licenses, but I still feel that it's just more proof that because the government creates a standard, it's not necessarily going to make things safer.

Kinda like if we let the gov. dictate standards for firearms ownership.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    Judging by the way people drive around in Florida.....no turn signals, 80MPH and faster on interstates, change lanes without looking....I would say there are few standards in passing a drivers test.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    And Florida drivers are FANTASTIC compared to Californians!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Judging by the way people drive around in Florida.....no turn signals, 80MPH and faster on interstates, change lanes without looking....I would say there are few standards in passing a drivers test.
    I was talking to someone who moved here recently about that. He said that in certain areas you've got bad driving patterns you learn and adapt to. Because FL has so many folks who aren't from FL that have moved here, we get a melting pot of bad driving habits. The end result is you don't know what that fool ahead of you will do because you don't know where they're from and how they learned to drive badly.
    Overkill is underrated.
    zorba wrote: »
    And Florida drivers are FANTASTIC compared to Californians!

Depends on where in Florida ...

I swear there are so many different things you see ...

There is almost an unwritten rule as people age (and say I4 south down or over on the west coast) is loaded with blue hairs) their bodies shrink but their cars expand. You'll see a 5ft nothing lady driving a big ass Caddie doing 50mph in the fast lane on I95 in West Palm.

Then in certain areas you see the non-American drivers who can't drive or park period ... oh wait that happens more in SoCal I bet :D

The worse thing thought is the afternoon storms ... it doesn't matter if it is just a shower or comin down like a cow pissin on a flat rock ... the blue hairs, non-Americans and such start driving 35mph on the interstate.

In the I10 corridor ... you start just getting the normal stupid drivers ... with the snowbird migration every so often.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    True but how would a complete lack of standards make for a better environment for us all?

It would clean up the gene pool
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    The main thing I see in Florida is drivers who can't seem to make a right hand turn correctly. Especially when they have their own lane to go into, they will just stop anyway. There are certain intersections I enter with foot poised over the brake and hand poised over the horn!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    ...proof that government-mandated training standards don't always provide for safer users.

It's never been about educating drivers and standardizing driving education.

It's 100% about tracking and documenting people. Trust me...the information you can cost reference with just a DL is damn scary.

It's got nothing to do with driving.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Careful now. If you're unsafe with a gun you can kill several, too. Or just one. Regardles, if it just saves one life... see where I'm going? That was my main point: just because someone's licensed doesn't mean they're safe. That's what John Morgan tells us about doctors in his ads....

Regarding SCUBA, you can cause the deaths of others with your own unsafe practices. A panicked diver can drown his partners. Plus I can fill my tank with my YMCA cert, my IANTD, or my NAUI one. :wink: Although at this stage I wouldn't go diving without a refresher. Been too many years since I last did it....
    Overkill is underrated.
    Bream, they made a special dive flag just for you ...

image_zpsyf6s4phu.jpeg
    - George Orwell
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    So Jason what can a cop find when he runs your lic# besides criminal history and prior violations?

Don't tell me they get yer credit score or something too :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member

Just a FYI if you're on I-75 South. If you see a burgundy Dodge 2500 4WD diesel rockin' down the road at 80-85 and giving turn signals when actually turning or changing lanes, that would be me. I also lean on the horn for those in the fast lane and in my way. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way! :tooth:

FL does have some interesting driving patterns. Tampa drivers are batscat crazy on the interstates and main arteries. And same for Ft. Myers/Cape Coral, with the in town drivers either driving like they're 30 minutes late for an appointment, or driving 15 mph under the speed limit in all lanes. Interestingly enough, the cruiser bikes are the most comfortable to be around, the crotch rocket riders the worst, and the bicyclists tend to ride with their heads up their alimentary canal termini. The bicyclists tend to ride like they're in an M1 Abrams tank; I've had to lock the brakes up more than a few times because of those anus chapeaus.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    I think the biggest problem is 'enforcement.' The cops are just too busy to write tickets anymore...you hardly ever see someone pulled over to the side and getting a ticket. When I was a newly licensed driver in 1963 I was trained well by the drivers Ed. teacher plus I had a couple of years experience driving with a permit, and the test requirements were pretty stringent. My problem was once I got my own car, I was pretty aggressive with it, so I ended up getting some speeding tickets. I guess in my old age I have gotten much more careful about the way I drive.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Some years ago I got stuck in a traffic jam. When I hit my interstate exit I saw the cause. There was a tree some 30 feet or so down the hill on the side of the ramp. In the branches of the tree a full size Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV sat perfectly perched like the driver parked it there.

Pilot's license?:driving:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Look at how relatively safe SCUBA diving is. Virtually no government

You must have crossed the line. When I attempt to reply with quote your comment ends with "Virtually no government".
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Cyclists do not have to pass a written test or riding skills test. Many of them have no clue as to traffic laws. They think they have absolute right of way over motor vehicles like ancient maritime sail over power rules. They also think they have the same rights as pedestrians if it is to their advantage. Riding on pedestrian sidewalks full speed expecting actual pedestrians to get out of their way and zipping across intersections and driveways plus using pedestrian crosswalks expecting motor vehicles to yield right of way.
    early wrote: »
    Some years ago I got stuck in a traffic jam. When I hit my interstate exit I saw the cause. There was a tree some 30 feet or so down the hill on the side of the ramp. In the branches of the tree a full size Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV sat perfectly perched like the driver parked it there.

Pilot's license?:driving:

So the question then becomes: Was this mess blocking the the ramp, or was everybody simply rubbernecking?

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    So the question then becomes: Was this mess blocking the the ramp, or was everybody simply rubbernecking?

Yes :tooth:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    If it was simple rubbernecking, I would have been BEYOND P.O.'ed. Probably my A-#1 pet peeve (of many!) of all time. Around here, someone changing a tire on the side of a 10 lane freeway will often slow traffic to a crawl in BOTH directions! :angry:

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Driver's license tests have been dumbed down over the years so the LCDs(Lowest Common Denominatiors) can pass. And they are printed multilingual so that the anus chapeaus that CAN'T READ ENGLISH can take and pass the test. WTH!!!!????? If you can't read English, then how in Hades are you gonna navigate with all the signs printed in English?????!!!!!!

And WHY DO I HAVE TO PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH???????????? DID AMERICA MOVE, OR WHAT??? :angry:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams