Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Day report

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,734 Senior Member
Shot two old/new rifles and a S&W Bodyguard .380.

First, the rifles: both were 99 Savages with tang sights, virtually identical, but my favorites indeed. Both had new sights, #1 had a new front sight, #2 had a new rear sight, the tang sight. Both were easy three-shot zeroed.* At 100 yards, in the bright sunshine with a 6" orange target dot, I had problems seeing the target. I shot around the perimeter of the dot, but feel with a more visible aiming point, I could do much better.

Found out that I need at least an 8" target dot, preferably black in color. The front sight completely covered the orange dot and I was guessing at best.

For the .380, fired about 75 rounds with zero malfunctions, both HP and FMJ. The trigger is DA only, and you can't stage the trigger, you have to pull it straight through. By my third magazine I was able to determine the pistol shot about 3" left. When I got home, I drifted the rear sight and expect it to shoot better.

Not bad for a mouse gun. Very easy to carry and a well made pistol.

*Since both rifles were pretty well identical with identical rear sights, once I got the first one zeroed, I counted the threads on the elevating peep and it was dead on. Saved a lot of ammo. A little high at 100, though, and quick couple of turns zeroed it in.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Sounds like fun - and smart move on the zeroing.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Well done! But, I need pics; at least of the hardware....
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    You're having too much fun with those 99's.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,825 Senior Member
    I love the tang sights on my 99's!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,734 Senior Member
    I'd post photos if I were a better photographer. My two 99s are in great shape and both shoot fine. The M&P Bodyguard in .380 is standard and not worthy of my a post. The trigger on the BG has to be a simple pull through. The more you try to trick it, the worse you group. The 99s don't have great or even great triggers on them.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.