Not trauma nurse material

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,461 Senior Member
That daughter has my sense of humor and my wife has the composure and bedside manner of Bugs Bunny.

When she was loaded in the ambulance and they said she seemed OK, I told her that I had to take care of her brother, call the wrecker, talk to the cop and that the mother would meet her at the hospital. She goes "AWWWW GEEZE, shes gonna go nuts." I almost fell out of the ambulance. The wife called the other daughter and when all of us got together later that day she was riding mom about getting 3 blubbering calls where she could make out every third word. She said "I thought "why couldn't Dad have called""

As a great example, I once layed my leg open to the bone. I looked at it, saw that it wasnt good but I wasnt spraying blood, my buddy headed for help, and the wife stayed. I positioned myself so that the head was lower than the hurt, and chilled out. #1 in treat for shock. #2 being REASSURE the patient

The wife says "Did you see that hole in your leg?"
Me "Yes I did"
W "It was really big"
M "Yes, dont talk about it"
W "There is a lot of blood"
M "Yes, shut up"
W "I cant believe the size of the hole in your leg"
M "shut up"
W "It was really deep"
M "Shut up"
W "I saw the bone"
M "shut up"
and on and on and on.

The kids USED to think I was making that story up....
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Yeah my wife is about the same. Pretty much useless when you NEED a set of hands.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Mine would have passed out!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I've been fortunate enough to avoid disaster as an adult.

But as a boy I once caught a forward pass, turned towards the end zone and plowed head first into a live oak. When I got home the small cut above my eye had made quite a mess. My step mom was at a total loss. I realised for the first time that adults are sometimes failable :tooth:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    None of that stuff bothers my wife. She is an RN. Dog puke is about the only thing that really gets to her. Kid puke, crap, pus, blood and gore doesn't bother her in the least.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    None of that stuff bothers my wife. She is an RN. Dog puke is about the only thing that really gets to her. Kid puke, crap, pus, blood and gore doesn't bother her in the least.

My mother is about the same way, a RN and tough as nails. Until it comes to little kid slobber and meat she thinks is under cooked. If one of my daughter's take a drink out of Grammy's glass Gtammy will let me he kid have the whole drink. Mom also can't watch anyone eat a piece of meat cooked medium, she will throw up.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    My wife is a former paramedic and can take pretty much anything.....she could be (and has been) covered in blood and still eat a burger while waiting for the shower... We've both seen trauma that would make us cringe some but that's about the extent of it. This is why those big trauma dressings are so handy...you can cover pert near anything so you don't have to look at it anymore... Dinner table conversation with a bunch of medics can be pretty harrowing for the uninitiated....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Dinner table conversation with a bunch of medics can be pretty harrowing for the uninitiated....

I have friends who are ER nurses, friends who are OR nurses, friends who are cops, I'm a charge nurse in a long term skilled nursing facility, dinner conversation when we all get together can be.....interesting. Especially when spouses/significant others (who have "normal" jobs) are present.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,107 Senior Member
    Try a restaurant sometime - people at nearby tables tend to leave rather quickly!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,245 Senior Member
    ... Dinner table conversation with a bunch of medics can be pretty harrowing for the uninitiated....

First night on duty at the firehall after rookie school can be a real eye opener for some.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    I'm ok with about anything, except puke. I am a social puker. If someone starts and I cant get air, there is a real good chance that I will be right there with them.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    I had a brother-in-law who was a social puker. All of his brothers and BILS would go to great lengths to get him heaving, with all manner of gross things. But another puker, or sometimes just a good 'pretend' puker with the dry heaves, could get him started every time. :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,669 Senior Member
    Dinner table conversation with a bunch of medics can be pretty harrowing for the uninitiated....
    Yep, Ex, my driver and his wife, who was also a medic met for dinner one night. After a few minutes my (now) ex-wife commented, "The couple behind y'all is starting to look green"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I had a brother-in-law who was a social puker. All of his brothers and BILS would go to great lengths to get him heaving, with all manner of gross things. But another puker, or sometimes just a good 'pretend' puker with the dry heaves, could get him started every time. :jester:

Nope, its gotta be the smell, then all bets are off.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    When I got shot in the leg, one of my hunting partners came to me immediately. She started taking off her belt, so I figured she was going to use it as a tourniquet. I told her to not do that, but to apply direct pressure. That worked, and stopped arterial bleeding. My wife was 900 miles away with her boy friend, and later got mad at me for putting my 13 year old son in a position he was in when he accidently shot me.

We had already decided to get divorced, so I really didn't care what she was doing at the time. I mostly just wanted her to leave me the heck alone.

The lady who came to my rescue was my boss, and we were hunting with her, her husband and one of my co-workers on his mother's farm. All things considered, it could have been a whole lot worse.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.