Home Main Category General Firearms

Just thinking about a new build and need advice...

2»

Replies

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    You didn't know there was a 270 wsm? Introduced like a year after the 300? It is the only one being commercially chambered next to the 300 wsm in any numbers, the 7mm is getting harder to find. 270 is made by a LOT of gun manufacturers. I guess everything really IS bigger in Texas....including that rock you've been under lol.

You are not totally correct on the wsm case and its efficiency with bigger bores. It is VERY efficient with bigger bores. It lacks with LONGER bullets, not bigger, not heavier, longer. Big difference between a 225gr flat base C&C 338 bullet and modern ultra long high BC 225gr 338 bullet....which is what Olins/Winchester pushes in the newer cartridges.

A 35 Sambar (358 WSM) pretty much matches the 358 Norma. 250's approaching 3000fps.

9.3 B&M closes in on the 9.3x64 Brenneke

416 B&M, 458 B&M, 470 B&M and 500 B&M all produce dangerous 5 capability with ease.

The B&M line, btw is not EXACTLY the same as the wsm, they're based on the RUM cases cut down to a wee bit longer then WSM. Still, the WSM has been necked from everything 500 on down, and they perform pretty good if you work within their limitations, like any other cartridge that exists. You can only get a B&M from SSK though, the guy who designed the line made SSK the sole owner of the drawings.

*cracks fingers and stretches a bit*

Now, lets get down to some serious enabling here Snakey-poo. Going WSM case is going to require a lot of work, it is probably possible, but it would be easier to just start in a short mag action. You've got a little more length to work with on that Yugo, right? Made to fit the 57 case family? How about something that would still take a tiny bit of work, but nothing horribly long or expensive, that would fit perfectly in that action. Just need to open the face a smidgen. Has as much punch as the 9.3, but uses a slightly bigger diameter bullet. However, you can load it down and use the great lighter bullets that were designed for the 38-55 and 375 Win.

I introduce you to, the 376 Steyr.

37672b.jpg

H8234.JPG&class=ProductImageStandard

Brass is a WEE bit expensive, but it should last you a bit, and besides just buy a box or 2 and be set for life. Hornady is the only supplier, but if I had to choose a cartridge with only one manufacturer for brass...I'd be happy with Hornady. Also a standard Hornady die set. It is a SAAMI cartridge, so no worry about wondering if the reamers your smith gets match perfectly to your wild cat dies. Although, rare enough and unheard of enough, to might as well be a wildcat.

If you wanted to roll up some big 270-350gr bullets, you could, but you could easily roll some pigs and deer with the 220-230gr range of bullets. The 235's would be the cats pajamas for anything you'd need to do with them. And built on a Yugo with a nice say....21" barrel, you'd have quite the handy little big bore. If you really had to scratch that wildcat itch, this case has already been shrunk and stretched to any caliber that fits. The guy up in Wyoming who does the Hawk cartridges, does a 416 Aagaard, which is the 376 necked up, and named after legendary hunter Fin Aagaard. You could neck it down to 338 and be ahead of the 338-06, right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag. Same with the 358, but why bother when the 375 would do it juuuuust fine.

Now, go do some googling on it :jester:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Here, you could even just get some lighter recoil factory ammo to play with or use for brass.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168646/hornady-dangerous-game-ammunition-376-steyr-225-grain-spire-point-box-of-20
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    You didn't know there was a 270 wsm? Introduced like a year after the 300? It is the only one being commercially chambered next to the 300 wsm in any numbers, the 7mm is getting harder to find. 270 is made by a LOT of gun manufacturers. I guess everything really IS bigger in Texas....including that rock you've been under lol.

You are not totally correct on the wsm case and its efficiency with bigger bores. It is VERY efficient with bigger bores. It lacks with LONGER bullets, not bigger, not heavier, longer. Big difference between a 225gr flat base C&C 338 bullet and modern ultra long high BC 225gr 338 bullet....which is what Olins/Winchester pushes in the newer cartridges.

A 35 Sambar (358 WSM) pretty much matches the 358 Norma. 250's approaching 3000fps.

9.3 B&M closes in on the 9.3x64 Brenneke

416 B&M, 458 B&M, 470 B&M and 500 B&M all produce dangerous 5 capability with ease.

The B&M line, btw is not EXACTLY the same as the wsm, they're based on the RUM cases cut down to a wee bit longer then WSM. Still, the WSM has been necked from everything 500 on down, and they perform pretty good if you work within their limitations, like any other cartridge that exists. You can only get a B&M from SSK though, the guy who designed the line made SSK the sole owner of the drawings.

*cracks fingers and stretches a bit*

Now, lets get down to some serious enabling here Snakey-poo. Going WSM case is going to require a lot of work, it is probably possible, but it would be easier to just start in a short mag action. You've got a little more length to work with on that Yugo, right? Made to fit the 57 case family? How about something that would still take a tiny bit of work, but nothing horribly long or expensive, that would fit perfectly in that action. Just need to open the face a smidgen. Has as much punch as the 9.3, but uses a slightly bigger diameter bullet. However, you can load it down and use the great lighter bullets that were designed for the 38-55 and 375 Win.

I introduce you to, the 376 Steyr.

37672b.jpg

H8234.JPG&class=ProductImageStandard

Brass is a WEE bit expensive, but it should last you a bit, and besides just buy a box or 2 and be set for life. Hornady is the only supplier, but if I had to choose a cartridge with only one manufacturer for brass...I'd be happy with Hornady. Also a standard Hornady die set. It is a SAAMI cartridge, so no worry about wondering if the reamers your smith gets match perfectly to your wild cat dies. Although, rare enough and unheard of enough, to might as well be a wildcat.

If you wanted to roll up some big 270-350gr bullets, you could, but you could easily roll some pigs and deer with the 220-230gr range of bullets. The 235's would be the cats pajamas for anything you'd need to do with them. And built on a Yugo with a nice say....21" barrel, you'd have quite the handy little big bore. If you really had to scratch that wildcat itch, this case has already been shrunk and stretched to any caliber that fits. The guy up in Wyoming who does the Hawk cartridges, does a 416 Aagaard, which is the 376 necked up, and named after legendary hunter Fin Aagaard. You could neck it down to 338 and be ahead of the 338-06, right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag. Same with the 358, but why bother when the 375 would do it juuuuust fine.

Now, go do some googling on it :jester:

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!!! I can't believe I didn't know that either. But I don't go looking for a bunch of this stuff. I am too easily enabled as you well know, LOL! So I don't go researching a bunch of new stuff because it might tempt me and right now I can't afford a lot of temptation. Too many irons in the fire. I do npw come to think of it remember the .325 WSM. That damn thing's eatin' on me at this vary moment because I have here in my safe an 8x57 (7.92x57 for you purists out there) that would be a good candidate for a .325 WSM Reamer. What you think? I love that gun. But more powder would be nice. More velocity is always a good thing in my world.

I was even thinking about trying a wildcat in the form of a 6 WSM. But that would really be a burner from hell. But I think I'll give that a pass.

If I do go with a .270 WSM it will be a long range capable beast with a 1:8 or 1:85 twist and 28" Barrel if I can find one that long. I want something to heave the heavy Matrix bullets way yonder than my vision will allow. Then I'll but one of my LR scopes on it where I can actually see 500+ yards through it.

Oh and BTW, you should come and visit and try out my rock. It's warm and dry under here and it helps keep more of my money in my pockets,

:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    May not be enough meat in that barrel to rechamber from 8x57 to 325 WSM. The short mags are pretty dang wide, might be too thin of a chamber.

Now most of the problems with feeding the WSM's, came from companies trying to shove them in a standard short action with a bigger bolt face. The guns that did NOT have feeding issues, had slightly longer magazines that allowed them to work (meaning - Winchester and Browning). Remington did eventually start doing WSM's after they basically gave up on the SAUM. Ruger did for a while until the Jamison lawsuit. Howa and CZ used to as well, but now the Vanguard is the only WSM option. Ruger went with their own shorty mag, which, I actually like now. The RCM, is a lot closer to a XXX-06 then it is a magnum if you are not using factory ammo. BUT a 338-06 in a tiny lil gun is very interesting. Maybe look into the 338 RCM? The 25 WSM was supposed to be a thing (so was the 338) but they had some serious pressure spike issues and consistency problems, so it became the 25 WSSM. Dang shame, it would have been the only competitor to the 257 Wby. The 270 wsm seems to be doing just fine, along with the 300 wsm, unlike the 7mm and 325. The 7mm at least enjoys SOME popularity with the long distance crowd, as a custom option. A 6mm would be more trouble then it is worth. I have seen several guys on several boards with the 6.5 in various configurations.

Now quit trying to avoid enableation.....go look at the 376.