Home Main Category General Firearms

Paging Poet, Eli, and Bigbore

Bham ShooterBham Shooter Senior MemberPosts: 609 Senior Member
Shooting ranges for rifles with a group anywhere from 3 to 8 people. We're going to sight in somewhere and I know of 3 for sure and there are a couple of maybes and a few if they aren't working guys planning on coming. I've been to FOP with all of you but wasn't sure about Cahaba WMA or other places you might have been. Since I'm sort of the ringleader of this rag tag group of gentlemen I figure I should ask the pros where to shoot.
Buffco wrote: »
Waah, waah... GET ON IT, DUDE.

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    CMP, worth the trip
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    CMP, worth the trip

Hey my friend it sounds like you're serious now. I wish you well and hope you kill the pig of your dreams (Do some people actually dream about pigs, other than a few they might pick up in a bar?).

But beware, Pig Hunting is addictive. You shoot one and you might like it, I'm talking like it a whole bunch. I really enjoy hog hunting more than deer hunting. I would almost bet that if you kill a nice pig or two, you may end up buying yourself a nice Pig Rifle. Anyway, I hope you really enjoy it as much as I do.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Bham ShooterBham Shooter Senior Member Posts: 609 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    There's one in Tennesee you can use. Memorial Day weekend.....

Unfortunately I have two problems with that. The first being the hunt is before then. The second is I have deacon duty at church that weekend.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    CMP, worth the trip

One of the guys mentioned that. He couldn't remember the name but said one of the other guys mentioned one in another city and he thought it was talladega. What's it like?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    Cahaba WMA range was nice enough before I moved down here. Just make SURE everyone has a valid hunting or WMA license. They check fairly often and the fine is rather steep, I'm told.

I haven't been there in 10-12 years, so I can't say how it is now.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    CMP in Talladega is brand new high tech everything nicest facility in the country. Anything you want to shoot target wise it's there. The long range rifle is electronic scoring that is displayed on a monitor right next to you. It's 200, 300 or 600 yds. Everything is state of the art, including the 12,000 sq ft clubhouse.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/TalladegaMarksmanshipBrochure_w.pdf
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    Holy shooting ranges, batman. That is very nice. Wish there was something like that around here
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Cahaba WMA range was nice enough before I moved down here. Just make SURE everyone has a valid hunting or WMA license. They check fairly often and the fine is rather steep, I'm told.

I haven't been there in 10-12 years, so I can't say how it is now.

Thanks Paul. I think that's where we're leaning on going. We all have valid hunting licenses.

And the CMP range looks really nice but I'm not sure how many of us are willing to drive an hour and pay $45-60 just to shoot for an hour or two. On top of ammo prices. The electronic scoring and all that looks pretty sweet but I'm old school and go to the range with targets printed from my computer and a staple gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Thanks Paul. I think that's where we're leaning on going. We all have valid hunting licenses.

And the CMP range looks really nice but I'm not sure how many of us are willing to drive an hour and pay $45-60 just to shoot for an hour or two. On top of ammo prices. The electronic scoring and all that looks pretty sweet but I'm old school and go to the range with targets printed from my computer and a staple gun.

I'm more of a dinasore than you. I go to the range with a staple gun, a roll of butcher paper, and some orange stick on circles.

Hey, works for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'm more of a dinasore than you. I go to the range with a staple gun, a roll of butcher paper, and some orange stick on circles.

Hey, works for me.

Then I'd have to go buy orange stickers. I'm too lazy for that.