Home Main Category General Firearms

Case Lube... Again

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
OK, what do you use?

I tried Hornady One-Shot years ago and got a .30 Carbine case stuck and haven't used it since. After reading up on it may have been my fault, not letting it set for a few minutes after applying or is that for the new formula I see they are using now.

I use Hornady Unique in a tub or Imperial now. I see they have a new lube in a tub called Hornady 9989 Case Sizing Wax $12.80 a tub, Unique is about 4 bucks. This new stuff is supposed to be the same as One-Shot but in paste/wax form.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I've been using a snuff can sized container of Imperial for over 5 years and I've barely made a dent in it. No point in trying anything else!
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Imperial Sizing Wax....no need to experiment with others...just use it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Lee case lube
    Imperial sizing wax
    Graphite powder (on bottleneck case necks)
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    I only use the spray stuff on straight walled cases. Unique/Imperial on everything else.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I've been using Hornady Unique. As long as I actually put it on the cases it works. Just fine. I'd have gotten Imperial but it was sold out and I needed some case lube.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I read up on One Shot (new formula) and there seems to be steps in the instructions about letting the new formula dry a few minutes (or the carrier agent which allows it to be in aerosol form and sprayed) and you gotta shake the piss outta the can.

Some have their own technique on how they put their brass in a plastic bag spray/shake/wait resize and whatnot. Says it gets into case necks too OK.

Plenty opinions on its effectiveness if you poke around. Some hate it, some love it. Some like a pump bottle of lube sold by Dillon.

Most agree Imperial, Unique or Lee is good enough who want to rub their own on.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I agree with CPJ. One Shot stinks when you consider the cost and how you've got to get it "just so." It ain't that convenient. The only spray I've used that worked well was Dillon Case Lube. But you had to clean it off, either with tumbling it off or an alcohol soak to remove the lanolin it used as the lubricant. Tumbling meant you had to remove media from the flash holes. Too inefficient.

Imperial or Unique is quicker, easier, and has a lower failure rate.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,462 Senior Member
    I bought two Copenhagen can sized containers of the Hornady unique lube about 8 years ago. They were on sale and I figured I would need the other one someday. Well, that day is still not here. I'm still using the first one.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    One shot spray sucks ass. It's WAY too damned expensive for no better than it works.

Wrong. Quick squirt in an empty coffee can of brass. Shake. Repeat and ready to go. Screw lubing each piece of brass. Time is very important to me. Never been a problem for me. I have not done thousands, but I have done many hundred with still most lf a can left.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Wrong. Quick squirt in an empty coffee can of brass. Shake. Repeat and ready to go. Screw lubing each piece of brass. Time is very important to me. Never been a problem for me. I have not done thousands, but I have done many hundred with still most lf a can left.

I had a can of something my son had and he used it for about 7 years and then left it to me when he went in the army. Hell it lasted me another 5 years and I never had a failure. I can't remember the name now. But that stuff worked.

In fact, the only failure or rather case stuck in the die was the night before I left for the SE shoot in 2010 and I had screwed up and left a couple dies in a cabinet on my back porch. It had been raining the last couple weeks before that. I stuck one in my Forester .280 Remington die and one in my .270 die. When I finally got both those dies free, I cleaned them up and oiled them. Never had a problem since because I went back to lubing them with RCBS Lube again.

I still have that tube of RCBS lube with lots of it left and when I ran out of the spray my son gave me I went right back to the RCBS. I put a very little bit on the RCBS Lube Pad and just roll my brass on gently and size it. Never had a failure and that tube is still going strong.

I may try the Imperial Wax one day, if I live long enough to use all this stuff up, but it's looking like this will get willed to my kids.

I can't believe I'm still using that tube. I admit I didn't load for awhile and when I started again I was using that stuff my son had, but when that ran out I went back to using the RCBS. It's not bad.

Edited to Add: I actually believe that any quality lube will work well and you should use it sparingly. Like the old Brill Cream commercial, Brill Cream A little dab will do ya, I love to run my fingers through your hair! LOL!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    The only stuck case I had was a piece of grit on a piece of brass. Scratched the heck out of my sizing die. No other problems when used right. As chief said let it sit. I lube before I set up the sizing die. I also pay attention as I go. If there is any abnormal resistance I repeat lubing process a third time. To each his own. But as I have said before. I will never lube each piece when I can squirt and shake 50 at a stretch. That is nothing but a huge waste of my time.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    I used to use Wire Aid, which is lube for stretching wire through conduit. It works really well, but it comes in a huge container (cheap, though) and is inconvenient to use. You have to transfer some to your fingers and rub each case, like you do with Imperial. So I got a box of Imperial and it's easier to use, although it doesn't do a better job.

Spray on stuff is messy and sticky and is harder to remove. Wire Aid dries like wax and is easy to remove. So is Imperial.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    cpj wrote: »
    I lube each case as I'm sizing. Grab the case. Swipe the fingers across it. Done.
    This. I keep my brass in a box and as I pick up the case I rub the lube on, then put it in the shell holder on my turret press. For me it adds virtually no extra time.
    Overkill is underrated.
    You fellows need to listen to CPJ.

He's the forum's lubrication expert.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    I use the tube of Lee paste that came with my reloading kit. Works pretty good, and I don't load in enough volume to care that I have to lube each case by hand.

When that runs out, I'll probably get some Imperial
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Yep. You have to let it sit for a couple of minutes and it works terrific. Just used it on a couple hundred 30.06 cartridges.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    i use to use, RCBS / LEE.

Now i use mostly Dillon. The only thing its a PIA to remove. Lanolin works great, but not alot of solvents will dissolve it.

I did buy several tins of the imperial when i was reloading for my friends 338 ?
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Screw that paste lube, takes to long, I don't care what you say. Put a couple dozen in a plastic bag, give it "one shot" and go. Lots easier to wipe off too. I've done several thousand with one can and lots left and no stuck cases. Give the die a squirt when I start too. A lot easier to wipe off than paste too.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Imperial Sizing Wax....no need to experiment with others...just use it...

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Screw that paste lube, takes to long, I don't care what you say. Put a couple dozen in a plastic bag, give it "one shot" and go. Lots easier to wipe off too. I've done several thousand with one can and lots left and no stuck cases. Give the die a squirt when I start too. A lot easier to wipe off than paste too.

I don't see how it is easier to remove than paste...which is real easy. And after it dries, you can just wipe it once and it's gone.

My LGS loads in volume, and they use a mixture they make that contains lanolin and is about the same as Wire Aid, except thinner. You can spray it on with a spray bottle if you want. I never load 2000 rounds at a time, so time isn't an issue with me. I'll take the extra five seconds to lube with Imperial.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Oh heck with all this arguing, just get a couple tubes of KY and get after it!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.