Home Main Category General Firearms

CZ BREN 805 to the range

ArmoredmanArmoredman MemberPosts: 362 Member
The range was very overcrowded, could only get down range long enough to set up the steel target. I did see that the American Eagle 55 gr ammo apparently worked just fine on Thug at 100 yards, but that little pill doesn't really move the steel that much. It was hard to hear over all the OTHER steel targets being shot, and at one point some wag was shooting at mine. :angry: Oh well, the rifle worked perfectly. Here is my gun smith buddy trying out the BREN. That's full recoil with the bolt just coming back forward.

Larry%20with%20BREN_zpskfkonh6j.jpg

I had little ammo, so nothing of REAL import was done, just basically checking to see the sights are generally on in the right direction, (they are), and that it functions, (it does), and that I need a fore grip, (I do), when the first round pinged the charging handle right into my very out of place left thumb. Ow. So, I took advantage of another feature of the BREN, and moved the charging handle to the right until I get a fore grip. :wink:

Bolt%20handle%20swap_zpszavtosny.jpg

Looking forward to real testing when I acquire more ammo and get some peace on the line.:cool:

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    She's not real Purty, but I bet she's just fine to cozy up next to!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wouldn't under estimate the energy deposits of that 55gr ammo. Glad it worked well, but I doubt you were surprised it did.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    I got to handle one of those at the gunshow this past weekend. I would be really interested If it were closer to $1000. Even my inner CZ geek can't cough up that kind of cash over an AR
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I wouldn't under estimate the energy deposits of that 55gr ammo. Glad it worked well, but I doubt you were surprised it did.

Indeed. In the world of hard body armor, the older 55gr NATO ball ammo is most feared to defeat said armor from a 20" barrel.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Indeed. In the world of hard body armor, the older 55gr NATO ball ammo is most feared to defeat said armor from a 20" barrel.

I accidently grabbed the wrong magazine once and had that round fail to humanely dispatch a rock chuck. It did anchor it thoroughly. However some years later I saw the same round punch so cleanly through a piece of hanging 3/8" steel that It failed to cause any movement of the target.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    I accidently grabbed the wrong magazine once and had that round fail to humanely dispatch a rock chuck. It did anchor it thoroughly. However some years later I saw the same round punch so cleanly through a piece of hanging 3/8" steel that It failed to cause any movement of the target.

Above about 3000-fps, even AR500 and AR600 steel won't stop it at 40-50 yards.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    Good%20morning_zps0tihs4sz.jpg

Shot at a private range, 100 paces, BREN with BUIS, Scorpion with Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Fun times, Rifle worked perfectly, and the other two shooters out there couldn't stop picking both of them up to try them again and again. That was part of the fun.

I blame myself for the targets, of course. Someday I will be able to put a decent optic on it.

Target shot by both Scorpion and BREN - that's just funny.

BREN%20and%20Scorpion%20target_zpshrcuvdvq.jpg

Typical results with the provided no-name generic 5.56mm ammo. I am positive the rifle can do far better than that. Range was 100 paces, roughly 92/93 yards by my stride.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I got to handle one of those at the gunshow this past weekend. I would be really interested If it were closer to $1000. Even my inner CZ geek can't cough up that kind of cash over an AR

Um...it's not an AR. :wink: But yes, you are absolutely right that it will be nice when the price starts coming down. The pistols have already come down some. My gun money is spent for the ext ten years, I think...
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Above about 3000-fps, even AR500 and AR600 steel won't stop it at 40-50 yards.

In real life, yes it will. I've got about ten AR500 plates that I take to the SE Shoot every year and no one has ever so much as put a dimple in any of them and there has been plenty of ball pinged off of them at 25yds. They key is to let them hang loosely so the energy can disipate. There are plenty of folks here that can attest to it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    cpj wrote: »
    It's an overpriced AR-ish with a folding stock and fewer accessories....

Thank you for your input sir, I appreciate all sides of the debate.