Car dealership BS

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,528 Senior Member
Yesterday morning as we prepared to depart for the airport (wifey had an early flight) her car wouldn't start. First thought, dead battery. Put suitcase in truck went to airport then work. Called dealership and she was right, warranty is still good on battery. Trick is they need to test it and install new one. So here I sit, an hour later and still no word. New battery will be pro rated, but i could have purchased a battery and had it installed and doing something else by now. Grrr%
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,982 Senior Member
    Walmart was good about free or prorated battery replacement. Question is as much as dealerships charge will it be a savings over just buying one after they prorate?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    The problem I've had with pro-rated warranties on batteries is that by the time you boost the battery, and drive the car to wherever, the battery is showing plenty of charge. I suppose I could just pull the battery and carry it to the store/dealership, but I usually only have one vehicle when I need to do this.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    Proper battery testing is not a quick process. Most car owners are too impatient to have it done right, and most retailers are too incompetent and greedy to do a correct test. They just connect a "tester" to a partially-charged battery, call it "bad" and grab the tools to change it. Finding a borderline-bad battery requires overnight slow charging and load-testing, and quite often it will pass the first test or two.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,528 Senior Member
    Well it was worth it.
    The battery had two weeks left on the warranty for a full replacement.
    Took a little while, but cost was $ 0.00
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Well it was worth it.
    The battery had two weeks left on the warranty for a full replacement.
    Took a little while, but cost was $ 0.00

Can't beat that deal with a stick.

We should all keep better track of warranty timelines and not wait until they are near the end until we go and find out if we are covered. But, we don't usually and companies may "Bank" on that a little in their profit bottom lines, I dunno.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Also, some gadgets are say 10-20 bucks and who seriously is gonna spend the postage to mail them back say 6-8 bucks and make the effort and take the time to do it.

We are a toss away, buy new type of economic society for many things.