Don'cha just love "documentary" TV?

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
Just watched a so-called "historical" documentary on the ID network, on the Texas Tower shooter, Charles Whitman, who killed a bunch of people at UT in Austin back in the 60s. In real life, there were several armed civilians who were instrumental in putting him down.

None of them were even mentioned, much less depicted in the recreation of the events. Doesn't fit the PC agenda, I suppose.
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    As I recall, a bunch of civilians with deer rifles kept him pinned down while the cops snuck up on him. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were WW II veterans who had done the same thing with German snipers a few years earlier!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    Isn't there an historical marker near the sight that specifically mentions armed citizens providing suppressing fire? The UT tower shooter the classic example of armed citizens carrying the day though, not surprising that a liberal bent director could whitewash it.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,666 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Just watched a so-called "historical" documentary on the ID network, on the Texas Tower shooter, Charles Whitman, who killed a bunch of people at UT in Austin back in the 60s. In real life, there were several armed civilians who were instrumental in putting him down.

None of them were even mentioned, much less depicted in the recreation of the events. Doesn't fit the PC agenda, I suppose.

Does not surprise me at all.

By the way, about 2 weeks ago, they just had the first murder on campus since Charles Whitman. Another crazy dude, by the way
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    As I recall, a bunch of civilians with deer rifles kept him pinned down while the cops snuck up on him. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they were WW II veterans who had done the same thing with German snipers a few years earlier!
    Jerry

I was 18 then and that day I was driving by the City Harbor listening to KTSA San Antonio Radio, one of the Original 50s-60s Rock n Roll stations in Texas back then(it's still around and turned into a conservative talk show station). Later, after over an hour of shooting, two Austin City Policemen broke into the top story deck and blew him away. I heard nothing about people on the ground shooting at him until much later, I'm talking years later. Whitman wasn't being impeded much because the news man was telling about each victim falling when shot so he was shooting the whole time. Like I said, it was a blow by blow account and I listened to damn near the whole thing live. The whole thing really got my attention right quick and held it for over an hour.

I was always under the impression that Officer Ramiro Martinez shot Whitman that day, but it was found later that it was actually Austin Police Officer Houston McCoy. They both shot at him but the autopsy later concluded that McCoy's 12 gauge shotgun actually killed Whitman instead of Martinez .38. But in my opinion, they were both heroes for going up and facing him down like they did.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    You never see those "documentaries" about people standing up and protecting themselves....i
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,482 Senior Member
    Was it an HBO documentary? The few I've watched are very one sided.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    No...it was in a Discoveery channel ID if I recall correctly....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I saw a Hollywood type movie of the event. It showed the armed citizens pinning him down. I remember being impressed with the police officers courage well assending the tower.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,739 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

This one should be a little better.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2l3zla
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270