Home Main Category General Firearms

Ring on brass after seating bullets in 9mm and Glock Bulge

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUh9LgqGV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIX110xkpQ

I was reloading 9mm and got to wondering about the little ring or outline you can see after you seat bullets in some brass just at where the base of the bullets stop inside the brass.

So I looked it up again........thickness of different brands of brass and bullets, maybe die adjustments..........nothing to worry about.........then got further distracted about the "Glock Bulge" at the brass bases from the generous chambers which allow the brass to swell more, but make them function so good with all kinds of ammo and in all kinds of conditions................

Then got further sidelined watching videos on those Bulge removal dies/tools sold by Lee and Redding that correct that bulge on brass fired in Glocks with comparisons/measurements of brass fired from other guns. And how some of it wouldn't fit a a Wilson case gauge until it was ran through one of the dies..............

I don't even own a Glock, but may have brass fired in one so.........oh well, my reloads chamber just fine in my Ruger P-89.

Oh, I've seen the bullet base outline on the brass with cast bullets in .45 ACP before. All chambered and fired just fine.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My reloads I just tested drop freely into the bbl, as they should. I disassembled it and tried some at random.

Reloading Nosler 115 JHPs atop 5.9 grains Unique powder. Will swap over to Speer Gold Dot bullets when I finish of this box of Noslers (250 #CT) with maybe a slight adjustment to the seating depth if needed, up or down. Using Win sm std pistol primers.

Running them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die too.

Ordered a couple more Ruger made 15 round mags for it last year and took them outta the wrapper today and man oh man are they stiff and hard to load the first time. These are SS and the two originals (blued) are smooth as butter. I reckon I'll leave them loaded for awhile and then unload/ reload them again.

Maybe I need one of them mag compression loading tools for it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Where did you get unique powder? I can't find any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1965Jeff wrote: »

Outta my garage..........:jester:

I saw some not too long ago, but it goes fast. I see they changed the label again.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I wonder if the FCD irons out the base bulge?

That P89 would Probly run square ammo :jester:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    1965Jeff wrote: »

Bass Pro shows it in stock at some FLA stores by zip code search.

You will have to search your Zip or better yet hopefully within driving distance.

I dunno about what part of KS you are in but Bass Pro has it in Olathe

Stores within 100 miles of 66061
    Olathe, Kansas
    12051 Bass Pro Dr.
    Olathe,KS

Store Info | View Map
    Regular Hours:

Sun 10a-7p | Mon-Sat 9a-9p

In Stock

For in store purchase as of 6:49 PM CT 4/26/16
    early wrote: »
    I wonder if the FCD irons out the base bulge?

That P89 would Probly run square ammo :jester:

I saw some mention of that and one video says use the 9X18 MAK FCD body, take out the insert and then screw in the bulge remover for 9X19 Luger brass?????

Probably not if it is bad at the brass base near the rim because it doesn't go down that far or tight enough.............
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    Remember the 9MM Luger is a tapered case so one reason for the ring is the bullet is not. So the case mouth is smaller progressively getting larger as the bullet moves toward the base. I loadeded some 115 gr FMJ 's this after noon myself. with some Bullseye but I'm getting low and there is none here. I need find some or go with something else.
    The bulge creates no problem .Some short pistol cartridges are tapered to aid chambering and helps seal the gasses. The .38SW is also tapered unlike the longer cases like the .38Special and .357 Mag.
    sarg1c wrote: »
    Remember the 9MM Luger is a tapered case so one reason for the ring is the bullet is not. So the case mouth is smaller progressively getting larger as the bullet moves toward the base. I loadeded some 115 gr FMJ 's this after noon myself. with some Bullseye but I'm getting low and there is none here. I need find some or go with something else.
    The bulge creates no problem .

I think there are two distinct issues here, one the ring/outline on the upper part of the case from seating bullets where the bullet base stops.

Second, the actual bulge further down at the base where the ammo was fired in a Glock with a lot more room to expand in the Glock chamber and shows a bulge that sometimes will not chamber after reloaded into non-Glock pistols as shown by the videos and a Wilson case gauge and bbls from 2 pistols.

I think I got that right, anyhow.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Winchester brass is thicker. Every time I see the outline of the bullet, I look at the brass and most times it's winchester. I measured it once and it was several thousandths thicker. If I see a bulge, I just toss the brass. I have more 9mm brass then I'll ever load, not worth the chance, it will always fail at the worst time.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Rings/outlines that are at bullet base where it is seated to in the brass is OK, bulges at the bottom of the case body have to go or be fixed. But they say re-firing a in Glock should be OK. I'd use one of the fit gauges or my bbl first to make sure.

Anyway.......have to double think accepting/picking up any once fired brass that came from a Glock.

This sorta parallels the the 5.56/7.62 NATO thing where the brass may have been fired in military weapons with oversize/generous chambers and then having to use a small base die to bring them down enough to use/fit in some commercial .223s and .308s
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    It's never been an issue. Only time I see it is after full length resizing and seating jacketed bullets. I just shoot 'em and keep going.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    You are correct BigCheif, I took it he was talking about the outline at the bullet. It's due to sizeing the case