Home Main Category General Firearms

Remington CDL .280 Rem is getting some cosmetic work done...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Here's the skinny...

#1: I am having the bolt handle knob replaced with a round steel ball finished with a bead blasted matte finish like the rifle has. I looked at a lot of pictures online of a similar thing and it looks really good to me.

#2: I am having the jewel finish on the bolt removed and the finish returned to the matte stainless finish of the rest of the gun. The jeweling isn't doing it for me. Secondly, in the same operation, I am having the bolt body spiral fluted for looks. This is also something that I think looks good on bolts. The matte finishing will be done after the flutes are cut to make the whole thing matte finished.

#3: I am having a Harrell's "tactical" brake installed on the muzzle. The brake doesn't look all that tactical and the OD of the brake will be turned down to match the OD of the muzzle and the same matte finish done.

Here are some similar pictures I found, but they don't represent the actual work that'll be done, obviously.

Round bolt knob (this one's plastic, but the idea is the same)

Harrell's Precision 3-port brake

Bolt fluting (not getting that knob)

I'm starting to get on a "mod what I got" kick. This rifle is never being sold--I love it to death. So, I'll personalize it a bit.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Should look nice when finished.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The brake does look good, being the same od as the barrel.
    Will it allow continuious view of the target through the scope during recoil?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Here's the skinny...

#1: I am having the bolt handle knob replaced with a round steel ball finished with a bead blasted matte finish like the rifle has. I looked at a lot of pictures online of a similar thing and it looks really good to me.

#2: I am having the jewel finish on the bolt removed and the finish returned to the matte stainless finish of the rest of the gun. The jeweling isn't doing it for me. Secondly, in the same operation, I am having the bolt body spiral fluted for looks. This is also something that I think looks good on bolts. The matte finishing will be done after the flutes are cut to make the whole thing matte finished.

#3: I am having a Harrell's "tactical" brake installed on the muzzle. The brake doesn't look all that tactical and the OD of the brake will be turned down to match the OD of the muzzle and the same matte finish done.

Here are some similar pictures I found, but they don't represent the actual work that'll be done, obviously.

Round bolt knob (this one's plastic, but the idea is the same)

Harrell's Precision 3-port brake

Bolt fluting (not getting that knob)

I'm starting to get on a "mod what I got" kick. This rifle is never being sold--I love it to death. So, I'll personalize it a bit.

The Spiral Fluting on the Bolt Body makes the bolt smoother and less binding. I love those. Also, the Harrell's break is cheaper than most others and I've heard it works very good. Harrell also makes some great powder throwers. They are some fine people and make quality stuff.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    The brake does look good, being the same od as the barrel.
    Will it allow continuious view of the target through the scope during recoil?

If I were shooting 700+ yards, maybe. Inside of that there isn't enough time to get back on target anyhow. The rifle is light and lengthy shooting sessions are worse on my shoulder than my .300WinMag. The .280Rem in this weight rifle has a "jabby" recoil, sort of like a .270Win.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers